Remax RM-S1 IEM
Dec 29, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #31 of 72
I have submitted a ticket with gearbest, and already got an answer where they asked if I'd like to have it resent or refunded. I'm not sure what I'll do yet.

I pulled out my glue gun and completely sealed the left earphone. Now i can get a seal, but I'll have to listen a bit more to see if both sides have the same sound now.
Maybe I'll have to do a tiny airport to get similar sound.
I'm a bit interested in the remax 610d as well, so i might take the refund and order that one instead...

That is fully crazy to have that amount of (silicone glue, I guess) fix the issue?

It's also in a place I would least expect would create an air seal issue. Though I know very little about IEM construction. They have the red mesh port which is open on the side which is a grand diversion from most IEMs I have. At best most have a small air-port at some area. But that is a good question, if the front chamber needs to be airtight and could be a sound issue either by faulty construction or post build damage to the cable stress relief?

I have been pretty lucky in only finding one pair of IEMs to be fake and never getting a damaged product from my China brand purchases. Sadly if you read the KZ thread it's really an issue with KZ products. It makes perfect sense as the maker is making mllions of IEMs and selling them for $5 to $18 dollars so quality control can not be that great.

Though I have purchased 4 KZ IEMs and all have been fine. I have also made 4 Remax purchases and they have all been fine as well as the couple of Remax demo models in stores have all had great quality control?

I have the Remax 610s also and they are great but in different ways. They have amazing detail and soundstage but the bass fails to go near as low as the S1 or S1Pro IEM. They have a very open and only slightly V shaped signature much closer to flat that the S1s. Still they are famous for being an exceptional value being as low as $10 in the USA. They are maybe slightly smoother than the S1s and are lacking some of the energy the S1 produce but make up for it in detail.

Also you may try to find the original S1 as I think they have a nicer cable than the S1 Pro? The plate on the side is also solid aluminum and not plastic. The two changes go miles to give off the effect of a more expensive product.

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #32 of 72
I started by sealing the port on the back, but it still leaked too much air, so i put some hot melt glue around where the halves was joined, and also where the cable entered the body of the earphone. that made it fully sealed at last.
the sound is a bit unbalanced still, and i haven't been able to fix it during tip-rolling.
I was hoping i could fix them enough so i could evaluate if i wanted a fully working pair, or if i should try something else, like the 610D

i haven't had much problems with my cheap chinese iems neither, except when gearbest twice have sent me wrong version of headphones when i've ordered with mic. both times i've been refunded.

I already have enough earphones, and then some more, so i don't really need the 610D. But i'm curious, and it has 3-button remote that works both with android and ios, so maybe i'll buy it anyway...
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #33 of 72
I started by sealing the port on the back, but it still leaked too much air, so i put some hot melt glue around where the halves was joined, and also where the cable entered the body of the earphone. that made it fully sealed at last.
the sound is a bit unbalanced still, and i haven't been able to fix it during tip-rolling.
I was hoping i could fix them enough so i could evaluate if i wanted a fully working pair, or if i should try something else, like the 610D

i haven't had much problems with my cheap chinese iems neither, except when gearbest twice have sent me wrong version of headphones when i've ordered with mic. both times i've been refunded.

I already have enough earphones, and then some more, so i don't really need the 610D. But i'm curious, and it has 3-button remote that works both with android and ios, so maybe i'll buy it anyway...:tongue_smile:

The 610D has the three button remote that will pause, change volume and skip songs with both Android and iOS. You click a small bottom on the bottom to change players or phones.

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #34 of 72
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Remax-RM-S1-Sports-Wired-Bass-Sound-In-Ear-Hanging-Black-Headset-with-Mic-Volume-/222350445768?hash=item33c51e8cc8%3Ag%3Ad9kAAOSwcUBYNlP3&_trkparms=pageci%253A92b5f6c9-ce90-11e6-b343-005056b68968%257Cparentrq%253A4fd5618e1590a2af06ba837cffef5001%257Ciid%253A3

Here is the original RM-S1 for $13.95 free shipping, out of New York on Flea-Bay.

Maybe my favorite headphone.

Feb 12, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #35 of 72
@Redcarmoose I appreciate your impressions of these. I remember sometime last year seeing your pics of these in the 'setups' threads. It's been a while since I've used something in-ear.... Had dabbled with the Monoprice 8320/9927 and Panasonic HJE120, but mostly been using KSC75 and VE earbuds over the last year and a half. I find that I do miss the low end though for electronic music with those open designs and have been researching an inexpensive IEM/canal phone. I was on the cusp of trying the Phillips SHE3590 until I read your review on the RM-S1. Additionally, I am rather overwhelmed to take on the plethora of posts related to KZ 'phones. RM-S1 still high on the list this year?

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #36 of 72
Okay so I found and purchased a pair of the original Remax RM-S1 on eBay and they just arrived today. They were listed as new, though the package obviously had been opened and the inner contents/box were a bit crinkled...the instruction manual was not present, but all the tips, the pouch, and the QC card with a date of manufacture 1 - 2016 was present. I also checked the QR code on the box and it was valid.

While I certainly need to give myself time to acclimate to these, so far I am *very* impressed. Have thus far only tested directly out of my iPhone 6S, flat EQ. I will test later with my HifiMeDIY ESS9018 DAC. Pretty much all the feedback on these are spot on. I was expecting something to immediately sound off upon first listen - ie too much bass emphasis, bloat, closed-in sound (having been only listening to on-ear headphones and earbuds lately). But these manage to sound natural. I can listen to Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Nirvana and it sounds right. I can then listen to Bassnectar, Sub Focus, Andy Moor, and Rick Ross and the bass extension is there for those genres. This is exactly what I was wanting for in an IEM to take with me and listen directly out of my iPhone.

Soundstage is much greater than I was expecting. Perhaps it is related to the larger vents on these? These are really really good as I continue to listen! Monoprice 8320 I had listened to since 2012 and the highs over time seemed a bit strident. Others I've tried have been easier on the ears, but lacked soundstage. These seem to do it all rather well. Nothing sounds wrong with them.

Fitment, however, is imperative to getting these to sound right. I initially tried with the stock medium tips that were on these out of the box and they worked, but they created a weird pressure sensation on one side. I couldn't get a good seal/proper insertion with the included foam tips. I have found what works best for my ears are bi-flange tips of unknown origin with a simple and easy shallow insertion - they seal right up.

I'm excited to continue to use these with all genres of music and hope/expect that they hold up after the inevitable brain burn-in and honeymoon phase.

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #37 of 72
Okay so I found and purchased a pair of the original Remax RM-S1 on eBay and they just arrived today. They were listed as new, though the package obviously had been opened and the inner contents/box were a bit crinkled...the instruction manual was not present, but all the tips, the pouch, and the QC card with a date of manufacture 1 - 2016 was present. I also checked the QR code on the box and it was valid.

While I certainly need to give myself time to acclimate to these, so far I am *very* impressed. Have thus far only tested directly out of my iPhone 6S, flat EQ. I will test later with my HifiMeDIY ESS9018 DAC. Pretty much all the feedback on these are spot on. I was expecting something to immediately sound off upon first listen - ie too much bass emphasis, bloat, closed-in sound (having been only listening to on-ear headphones and earbuds lately). But these manage to sound natural. I can listen to Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Nirvana and it sounds right. I can then listen to Bassnectar, Sub Focus, Andy Moor, and Rick Ross and the bass extension is there for those genres. This is exactly what I was wanting for in an IEM to take with me and listen directly out of my iPhone.

Soundstage is much greater than I was expecting. Perhaps it is related to the larger vents on these? These are really really good as I continue to listen! Monoprice 8320 I had listened to since 2012 and the highs over time seemed a bit strident. Others I've tried have been easier on the ears, but lacked soundstage. These seem to do it all rather well. Nothing sounds wrong with them.

Fitment, however, is imperative to getting these to sound right. I initially tried with the stock medium tips that were on these out of the box and they worked, but they created a weird pressure sensation on one side. I couldn't get a good seal/proper insertion with the included foam tips. I have found what works best for my ears are bi-flange tips of unknown origin with a simple and easy shallow insertion - they seal right up.

I'm excited to continue to use these with all genres of music and hope/expect that they hold up after the inevitable brain burn-in and honeymoon phase.

The originals are better I think. It's confusing if you have the cheaper pro edition and had purchased them after the original S-1. I say that because I think the brain does get used to the signature of the original S-1 but when you get the cheaper Pro model the brain fills in the areas where they are slightly different. After months you start to realize the original S-1 (non-Pro S-1) model is much much better.

The Pro has a better cable and just feels more expensive to me.
The Pro also has a completely different frequency response set of facts supplied by tests from the Remax company. It shows the bass going lower.

All that said .......I like the Pro better, and the original S-1 better than my KZ- ATE, as I find the bass more detailed and the signature more my cup of tea. Of course the KZ hype is huge. The Remax Pro S-1 never really caught on at Head-Fi though there are respected users which do continue to praise the sound quality.

For me it took awhile to figure out what they sound like. I almost did not buy the S-1 after trying it first at a store. Upon first hearing the S1 the midrange seemed muddy. I went across the street and listened to my Xiamoi Piston 3s and realized the Pros may actually be good.

After getting used to the signature I started to hear the sound quality value in the S1 Pro model. But for me they just simply fit better than the giant KZ-ATE, plus the cable is nicer than the KZ-ATE bouncy and squiggly all over the place all the time cable.

But a lot of it for most I would think, is getting used to the treble detail. The S1 does not have an expanded and hyper detailed treble. The treble is just there doing it's job like a postal worker. It's the lower midrange and bass that have character and garner the attention to me?

But I'm glad you like them. Getting a tight fit with the foam tips will maximize the bass and being air-tight will slightly improve the soundstage. But it's nice to have someone conferm my sound signature and sound to price ratio. They were my favorrite purchase of 2016-2015. That is saying a lot for a cheap $20 IEM.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #38 of 72
The originals are better I think. It's confusing if you have the cheaper pro edition and had purchased them after the original S-1. I say that because I think the brain does get used to the signature of the original S-1 but when you get the cheaper Pro model the brain fills in the areas where they are slightly different. After months you start to realize the original S-1 (non-Pro S-1) model is much much better.

The Pro has a better cable and just feels more expensive to me.
The Pro also has a completely different frequency response set of facts supplied by tests from the Remax company. It shows the bass going lower.

All that said .......I like the Pro better, and the original S-1 better than my KZ- ATE, as I find the bass more detailed and the signature more my cup of tea. Of course the KZ hype is huge. The Remax Pro S-1 never really caught on at Head-Fi though there are respected users which do continue to praise the sound quality.

For me it took awhile to figure out what they sound like. I almost did not buy the S-1 after trying it first at a store. Upon first hearing the S1 the midrange seemed muddy. I went across the street and listened to my Xiamoi Piston 3s and realized the Pros may actually be good.

After getting used to the signature I started to hear the sound quality value in the S1 Pro model. But for me they just simply fit better than the giant KZ-ATE, plus the cable is nicer than the KZ-ATE bouncy and squiggly all over the place all the time cable.

But a lot of it for most I would think, is getting used to the treble detail. The S1 does not have an expanded and hyper detailed treble. The treble is just there doing it's job like a postal worker. It's the lower midrange and bass that have character and garner the attention to me?

But I'm glad you like them. Getting a tight fit with the foam tips will maximize the bass and being air-tight will slightly improve the soundstage. But it's nice to have someone conferm my sound signature and sound to price ratio. They were my favorrite purchase of 2016-2015. That is saying a lot for a cheap $20 IEM.

I have the original model I believe:

This is the one rated to have a bit more low end it seems.

Remax RM-S1 Original
Impedance 32 ohm
Frequency Response 18Hz to 23kHz
Input Power 10mw
Distortion <1%
Cord Length 1.2 meters
Driver Size 10mm Dynamic

Remax RM-S1 Pro
Impedance 16 ohm
Frequency Response 20-20,000hz
Maximum Input 20mw
Wire TPE
Cable Length 1.2 meters
Driver Size 10mm Dynamic

You prefer the original to the pro? I figured it was worth it to pay a bit more for the original model.

I have listened some more to these...I like how you described the treble. It lacks sparkle but doesn't come off particularly as not present or rolled off too much. I think perhaps the rather wide left -> right soundstage makes up for some of my interpretation. I hear instruments reaching rather wide left and right with vocals centered and well dileniated. Other sounds in the intermediate areas from center to the edges are well defined, but I am not getting much height or depth....hard to explain and my ears/brain are definitely still learning to be cognizant of these things. On some tracks I hear some less vocal detail (female) but I am really nitpicking because overall, these are much better than I was expecting.

I believe in one of your reviews you mentioned having a headphone that could actually pull off all genres of music. Thus far, these have done just that. They manage to sound both musical and neutral perhaps because of the warmer lower end, yet still detailed enough.

I have since switched to the included large silicon tips and they seal very well for me without an uncomfortably deep insertion. Low end definitely is present and tightened up.

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #39 of 72
I have the original model I believe:

This is the one rated to have a bit more low end it seems.

Remax RM-S1 Original
Impedance 32 ohm
Frequency Response 18Hz to 23kHz
Input Power 10mw
Distortion <1%
Cord Length 1.2 meters
Driver Size 10mm Dynamic

Remax RM-S1 Pro
Impedance 16 ohm
Frequency Response 20-20,000hz
Maximum Input 20mw
Wire TPE
Cable Length 1.2 meters
Driver Size 10mm Dynamic

You prefer the original to the pro? I figured it was worth it to pay a bit more for the original model.

I have listened some more to these...I like how you described the treble. It lacks sparkle but doesn't come off particularly as not present or rolled off too much. I think perhaps the rather wide left -> right soundstage makes up for some of my interpretation. I hear instruments reaching rather wide left and right with vocals centered and well dileniated. Other sounds in the intermediate areas from center to the edges are well defined, but I am not getting much height or depth....hard to explain and my ears/brain are definitely still learning to be cognizant of these things. On some tracks I hear some less vocal detail (female) but I am really nitpicking because overall, these are much better than I was expecting.

I believe in one of your reviews you mentioned having a headphone that could actually pull off all genres of music. Thus far, these have done just that. They manage to sound both musical and neutral perhaps because of the warmer lower end, yet still detailed enough.

I have since switched to the included large silicon tips and they seal very well for me without an uncomfortably deep insertion. Low end definitely is present and tightened up.

Yes I think the originals are slightly better. It took a while to figure that out. Some folks have said that they are not bass heavy but I always think they are. Still they do lack some detail for female vocals, but not all that bad. They are an all rounder. But it took me a while before I really started to like them, don't know why?

Those are the originals in the photo, though the originals can come in three other colors.

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #40 of 72
Yes I think the originals are slightly better. It took a while to figure that out. Some folks have said that they are not bass heavy but I always think they are. Still they do lack some detail for female vocals, but not all that bad. They are an all rounder. But it took me a while before I really started to like them, don't know why?

Those are the originals in the photo, though the originals can come in three other colors.

I'm glad I was able to snag the original model in that color- I don't know if the brighter colors are my style
happy_face1.gif

These remind me of the Koss PortaPro - they may not be that 'audiophile' tuning, but they still manage to sound good and natural with everything. They have nice bass, but nothing is overdone to the point of sounding wrong. It's rather nice to just plug in and listen without tweaking or trying to figure out how or what it is that needs to be changed to sound right to my ears.

Feb 25, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #41 of 72
I'm glad I was able to snag the original model in that color- I don't know if the brighter colors are my style :happy_face1:

These remind me of the Koss PortaPro - they may not be that 'audiophile' tuning, but they still manage to sound good and natural with everything. They have nice bass, but nothing is overdone to the point of sounding wrong. It's rather nice to just plug in and listen without tweaking or trying to figure out how or what it is that needs to be changed to sound right to my ears.

Me too, as I never EQ.

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #42 of 72
I had given up on the Remax S1-Pro I got last year because, despite good sound, they would too easily pull out of the ear slightly and lose bass. I had to keep pushing them back in, and didn't find any tips to fix it. Well, now I tried Spinfit large and it now fits perfect and stays in. These are now my favorite sub $10 IEM.

I'm not really a fan of Spinfits elsewhere. On every IEM I tried Spinfits except the S1-Pro, I like some other tips better than Spinfits. Glad I didn't get rid of them.

Jul 6, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #44 of 72
Did't like the sound of the S1-Pro so I cut this thing in half, ripped everything out and put a Etymotic ER4 driver inside. The fit is great and now the sound is too. Changed the cable as well and using SpinFits now.

img20170629181927-01_784282.jpg

img20170630160028-01_784396.jpg

Wow, awesome! I don't know if I'm ready to dismantle my ER4PTs, but that's very inspiring rehousing you did there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back