Remains of a Space Program
Apr 26, 2006 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Homeless

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking at these pics makes it all seem like a colossal waste of money. Does anyone else feel, I don't know, almost haunted by the pictures? I thought it was kind of neat to see either way. Wouldn't that be an awesome place to play paintball though?
BTW, this may be NSFW, there was a banner ad with some topless women at the very bottom...

Apr 26, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 22
Wow those are great photos. I don't think we're looking at a "waste" in the sense that looking back they shouldn't have made all those rockets. What we're looking at are the necessary leftovers from making great scientific advances.

Apr 26, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #4 of 22
We've had a continous manned presense in space for how many years now. So many it's taken for granted.

The Martian Rovers are still going strong.

The people with vision and seeking adventure will leave this planet behind and take to the Stars. It's inevitable.

Waste No the first step to the fulfillment of our Dreams Yes.

Mitch

Apr 26, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 22
not workplace friendly, don't want to get fired for that in case manager comes over to my cube.
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
Ya, cool pics, but give us a NSFW warning next time?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
Looking at these pics makes it all seem like a colossal waste of money. Does anyone else feel, I don't know, almost haunted by the pictures? I thought it was kind of neat to see either way. Wouldn't that be an awesome place to play paintball though?
BTW, this may be NSFW, there was a banner ad with some topless women at the very bottom...

Emphasis mine
tongue.gif

I'm at work - saw the NSFW warning, and clicked the link anyways
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 26, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 22
What little ad blocking I do apparently saved me from the NSFW portion.

Those are great pictures. I would love to have the opportunity to photograph an installation like that. Definitely more of a tribute to the space race than a waste of money. More of a shame that the work didn't continue in full force due to economic issues. "Modern" space programs are pretty pitiful, we need that competition again.
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 22
great pictures! i wouldn't say that it was a waste either as it was done in the name of exploration. the expenses incurred in these rockets and systems will someday yield far more benefits than we can currently see.

Apr 26, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Little did the kids know that the rocket was actually fully fueled and...
biggrin.gif

Hmm, that kid on the left reminded me too much of this one
img34.JPG

Taken in Lithuania in 2004... gotta love the consistency of the former soviet union.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 22
Cool pics and thanks for posting them.

Apr 26, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #14 of 22
I didn't mean that it was a waste of money in the sense that they never served a purpose...just that you'd think that they would have done something with them, especially the old shuttle. Maybe tried to restore it or something so that it could be used as a museum of sorts, educating children on space exporlation. Maybe I'm just being a little too optimistic.

I did put a NSFW label on the intial post. If it didn't stand out enough I appologize.
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by skudmunky
[size=xx-large]Ya, cool pics, but give us a NSFW warning next time?[/size]

[size=xx-large]^^^[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back