RELOADED!!!
May 17, 2003 at 11:46 PM Post #46 of 79
Rizumu,

That's too bad that you didn't like the movie. I feel they went exactly where the storyline is suppose to lead to. The way you described everything, is exactly the way the story should and does progress. Remember that the Matrix is based off of a Comic, and that's what comics are all about...fighting and kicking ass to save humanity in the coolest way possible. I also don't understand why people don't like the story line. It is so complex and well thought out. Plus, the story line is so huge anyways that it would be impossible to tell the saga within one movie. And the reason why everything was done at a bigger scale compared to the first one is because Neo has just learned to use his abilities to their full potential and has become a bigger part of the world within Zion, (well, not full potential yet) which then would mean he has become more involved in the real world in Zion and the Matrix causing more brutal effects with the robot world and other bad guys. Overall, the movie plays just like reading a comic(and that's what we're all after, re-creating that comic-like presentation), something that Spiderman and X-men have also achieved. So, it's not that the movie makers did a bad job with the sequel, because they didn't, it just sounds like you don't like these types of movies. To eah is own
smily_headphones1.gif
All the reasoning I've stated above is exactly why I loved this wonderful sci-fi movie!!

May 18, 2003 at 12:02 AM Post #48 of 79
Saw the movie today, I thing the first one is a lot better. Reloaded have to many fight scenes, and they lost the impact already. The first one is way cooler, I can still see the scene when Neo dodge the bullets in my mind. That's COOOL. No film can beat LOTR for sequel, LOTR I is cool, LOTR II is way COOOOOLLER, can't wait for LOTR III . Who else think that LOTR has a better sequel than this one?

May 18, 2003 at 12:28 AM Post #49 of 79
Oh, LOTR is my all time favorite trilogy, both book and movie. But I don't really think of the two towers being better than the fellowship because they are all bascically one movie, just released at different times...and especially since the trilogy (the movie) was all made at the same time. They were written as one book. But LOTR is definitely better than the Matrix, IMO!

May 18, 2003 at 12:47 AM Post #50 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by zeplin
Rizumu,

That's too bad that you didn't like the movie. I feel they went exactly where the storyline is suppose to lead to. The way you described everything, is exactly the way the story should and does progress. Remember that the Matrix is based off of a Comic, and that's what comics are all about...fighting and kicking ass to save humanity in the coolest way possible. I also don't understand why people don't like the story line. It is so complex and well thought out. Plus, the story line is so huge anyways that it would be impossible to tell the saga within one movie. And the reason why everything was done at a bigger scale compared to the first one is because Neo has just learned to use his abilities to their full potential and has become a bigger part of the world within Zion, (well, not full potential yet) which then would mean he has become more involved in the real world in Zion and the Matrix causing more brutal effects with the robot world and other bad guys. Overall, the movie plays just like reading a comic(and that's what we're all after, re-creating that comic-like presentation), something that Spiderman and X-men have also achieved. So, it's not that the movie makers did a bad job with the sequel, because they didn't, it just sounds like you don't like these types of movies. To eah is own
smily_headphones1.gif
All the reasoning I've stated above is exactly why I loved this wonderful sci-fi movie!!

*sigh* Hi zeplin. Please don't try and tell me "no you're wrong in not liking it". I was posting my impressions, and nothing you say will convince me that it was a really good movie. I know you don't mean bad and am glad you enjoyed it and sorry that I couldn't. But...well...you don't really know anything about me.

Surprise! I've collected comics since I was like 6 years old. I loved the first Matrix. I thought X2 kicked ass. I'm a total comic/sci-fi/fantasy geek. That isn't why I didn't like the movie. I didn't like the brainless bloated way they pulled off Reloaded. The first movie was shrouded in mystery and you were trying to understand what was going on. Neo dodging three bullets in slow mo was awesome and a fist fight with Agent Smith was the highlight of the movie. Reloaded lost all the magic the original had and was just plain ol' boring. It was over the top.

The dialogue was terrible and sounds "deep" and "well-thought out" because it's philosophic BS that doesn't mean anything. You can make anything out of it which is why people love discussing the movie on boards like this.

That's okay, I just didn't like the direction this movie went it. The movie may play like a comic, but a bad one. Truth be told it really felt more like an HK action film, with plot and dialogue only serving as a transition from one fight scene to the next.

May 18, 2003 at 3:44 AM Post #51 of 79
Oh no, I wasn't trying to tell you you're wrong. And I know I don't know you, of course. I was just giving my take on it, plus a little harmless questioning...nothing wrong with that, right? Sorry if I gave the impression of trying to prove you wrong or something. If you also knew me, you would know that I am extremely open minded and understanding of other points of view. I just saw nothing wrong with the movie, especially following the first one the way it did. And I thought all the action and plot went the way it should go when a character becomes more involved with the fact that he was chosen as the one. The story becomes twice as big...and it did! I only think that all that happened in M2 was inevitable. Then again, I could never make a movie (but I really like discussing them), and you probably could!
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2003 at 4:08 AM Post #52 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by zeplin
Oh no, I wasn't trying to tell you you're wrong. And I know I don't know you, of course. I was just giving my take on it, plus a little harmless questioning...nothing wrong with that, right? Sorry if I gave the impression of trying to prove you wrong or something. If you also knew me, you would know that I am extremely open minded and understanding of other points of view. I just saw nothing wrong with the movie, especially following the first one the way it did. And I thought all the action and plot went the way it should go when a character becomes more involved with the fact that he was chosen as the one. The story becomes twice as big...and it did! I only think that all that happened in M2 was inevitable. Then again, I could never make a movie (but I really like discussing them), and you probably could!
biggrin.gif

Heh, fair enough
smily_headphones1.gif
It's just that when you make comments like this: "so, it's not that the movie makers did a bad job with the sequel, because they didn't, it just sounds like you don't like these types of movies" it seems like you're trying to write off why I disliked it as me simply not liking the genre when I never said anything of the sort. Tis not true!

I'm going to see it again and give it another chance. Yes some parts were cool as I said but overall...hrm...it just left a bad taste in my mouth. I doubt I could write a movie though, either.
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2003 at 4:27 AM Post #53 of 79
I'm sorry, I totally worded that the wrong way. But I did make sure I put "seems like" in that sentence...in case of error
biggrin.gif
And also, are you interrested in those 9 short Matrix anime movies coming out on DVD soon? I'm not sure who makes them, but they do look really promising! What's your take?

May 18, 2003 at 5:12 AM Post #54 of 79
I thought it was pretty entertaining, but at the same time pretty dull, at least compared to the first movie. There was no real suspense. My emotions remained pretty much the same through the entire movie, yet it's still entertaining. Hard to explain. I'm going to have to see it again in a week or two because the large crowd made it hard to pay attention to the screen. I cannot stand large movie crowds anymore. Maybe 10 pm on a Wednesday night would be a better time.

Anyways. I think it's a well above average movie and highly recommend it. Almost as good as the first one, but just doesn't have the emotion.

May 18, 2003 at 3:43 PM Post #55 of 79
WARNING: Spoilers

Finally saw it.

It was disappointing, on several levels.

1. They made no effort at all to make the second movie logically consistent with the first. At the end of THE MATRIX, Neo basically had full power over the Matrix -- he was "beyond" the programming and could do as he pleased. All he had to do to beat Agent Smith was stand there calmly and use one arm. He could stop bullets almost as an afterthought. He could bend the walls of the building he's standing in.

Now, here's the second movie, and the only thing that still carries over is the bullets. They're ineffective, but suddenly swords and knives are dangerous? He can bleed inside the Matrix? Now Smith can fight him and hold his own again?

Also, they made it seem like things were pretty much wrapped up at the end of the first movie... the humans would be freed, the Matrix would be controlled and shut down.

The worst part about it is that with some decent writing, they could have worked around these problems without too much difficulty. I thought of two or three scenarios myself that would have been logically consistent with the first film.

2. There was no more sense of wonder. In the first film half of the joy for the audience was figuring out what was going on and grasping the concept of what was "reality" and what was the Matrix. Think back now... I remember some people saying they were confused at first but on thinking about it or on second viewing, "got it" and liked it. RELOADED was just more of the same thing (with one or two minor innovations) and lots more digital FX.

Again, this could have been fixed with smarter writing. One of the scenarios I imagined would have done exactly that -- provided a new SF concept that could have given the audience something to think about instead of the sloppy, overdone philosophy they spouted.

3. Things I did like: Maybe I'm the only one, but I thought the dance scene was good and interesting. It showed the humans in Zion being human, and was a nice change of pace from the onslaught of action scenes.

I did like some of the action scenes, but thought most of them went on too long. Multiple agent Smiths fighting Neo was cool, and the scene with the various Korean/Japanese weapons on the walls was good (if you ignore the fact that none of them should have been effective against "Superman" Neo.)

Monica Belluci: There wasn't enough of her character. She was really good, but they should have used her differently. Why not make her some kind of real emotional and ethical dilemma for Neo? Why not have her somehow be a tempting alternative for him? The whole kiss thing was so anticlimactic I could hardly believe it. I mean Christ, what the hell was Trinity worried about? One, they're inside the Matrix, and Neo, moreso than anybody else, understands that it's all just numbers ("there is no spoon"). He could have had sex with her and Trinity shouldn't have even blinked -- if that's what it took to get the Keymaker, so be it.

I thought Belluci's character would have been a serious temptation for Neo, as steaks and women were for Joe Pantoliano's character in the first MATRIX. No such luck -- Neo kisses her, Trinity doesn't like the idea beforehand (she actually pointed a gun at Belluci!!) but afterwards doesn't think twice. HUH????

Also, the movie SHOULD have ended with Neo standing there between the two doors, deciding which one to pick. "TO BE CONCLUDED." Basically that scene was modeled after the classic short story "The Lady or the Tiger" and should have ended the way the short story did. They could have rearranged things in the movie in such a way that the important stuff that happened afterwards happened before. It would have been a much better ending, IMO.

Well, that's enough ranting for now.

May 18, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #56 of 79
Quote:

who stayed after the credits for the preview of the third movie?

Those had to be possibely the longest credits I have ever seen.

May 18, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #57 of 79
Riz,

you don't like the movie and you're going to see it again?
confused.gif
zack, too?

if it wasn't for the fact that my brother liked the first X-Men movie, I wouldn't even think of going to see the second. I hated the first one. And while Spiderman was good, I thought that it doesn't make for a good human drama movie. It just doesn't stand alone, by itself, very well. And I fear that it will not age well. Now take the Terminator movies, they seem to be aging well. And the first 3 Alien movies age very, very well.

But what do I know? I really liked Resident Evil, while just about everyone else hated it. And you know that I read all the Harry Potter books, and am first to see the Harry Potter movies. The only think wrong with the LOTR movies is that they were so long. Even while watching Reloaded, I had to choose my moment to go to the bathroom. Long movies - movies you don't buy the large sodas and shouldn't get the free refills.
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2003 at 9:13 PM Post #58 of 79
walli,

Well, geez, you people make me feel like I really should've liked it I don't know. I guess I feel like I would enjoy it more the second time around cause the atmosphere wasn't that great the first time and I sort of spaced out and missed some important plot points.

I know what you mean about those large drinks! I had pee like half the movie but didn't want to leave...hm..maybe that's why I didn't enjoy it
tongue.gif

Anyway...yeah I guess I'm just bummed it wasn't good.

May 18, 2003 at 10:03 PM Post #59 of 79
i tried changing the title of the thread to add a spoiler warning, but it only appears in the title of the first post. sorry all.

rizumu,
you're not thread crapping, its your opinion. think and say what you want.

most people have echoed what i thought. great ideas, mediocre implementation. i had a conversation with a friend of mine several weeks ago, we always have some deep conversations, and all the deep deep themes we talked about is in the matrix. i guess it clicks with me. i also like seeing stuff blow up. of course, could have been done better.

23 organisms cannot repopulate a species. The gene pool is too small. I'm not a biologist, but i read it somewhere, so its got to be true! the number is more of a play on the mystical number 23 (btw, add up 9, 11, and the digits of 2001). the iterations of the matrix are a play on "god" creating the universe in 6 days. what will happen on the 7th? you'll have to pay 10 bucks in november to find out!!!

russ, neo made smith stronger.

the people of zion sure know how to throw a rave. even when they are fighting for the survival of the race, they can still use resources to add a bitchin sound system that blasts music throughout the city.
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2003 at 10:06 PM Post #60 of 79
ok, one thing I don't get:

The Architect said that all of the humans in the matrix would die if neo took the left door. That's what neo took. So, did all of them die? As neo was flying out of the building, did he "destroy" the matrix? That's the most confusing part for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back