Release of 'Manhunt 2' game suspended in the US and banned in Britain and Ireland ...
Jun 22, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #31 of 69
Manhunt was a great game if you had the patience to get past the 3rd-4th level. It really picks up. I bought the game for the Xbox & PS2..It's also tough, a lot of trial & error type gameplay.. Ratings for games is silly to begin with. How about parents actually parenting & being informed about what they buy their kids..So now the ESRB do the parents job for them.. If violent video games really had a influence there would be ALOT more violence..But there is not..A lot of people like to blame games so they are labeled as a victim..You know..It wasn't my fault, the game made me do it.. Like the 'twinkie' defense.. & yes, there are some mentally unstable kids that will act this out..About less then 1% of our population.. I guess thats enough to warrant a ban of all violent video games M & up..Yeah..Nothing like throwing out the baby with the bath water.. Footballs violent lets ban that too..& it's real!
rolleyes.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #32 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats so stupid, if people don't like it they don't have to buy it.

If people don't like Plutonium they don't have to buy it. That doesn't mean that its sale should not be restricted for the greater good.

Jun 22, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #33 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If people don't like Plutonium they don't have to buy it. That doesn't mean that its sale should not be restricted for the greater good.

You can't make a bomb out of a video game last time I checked. The problem isn't video games, it's the people playing them (or not in most cases). It's like blaming a gun for killing a person and not the person who pulled the trigger.

Jun 22, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #34 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When will these organizations learn that pushing for bans, and making a big stink over how violent a video game is ultimately increases the video gaming population's curiosity over said game tenfold?

They just ensured that if Manhunt 2 is released it is now certain to be a best seller. I am pretty confident that it will be released on at least 1 or more consoles somewhere, somehow.

Couldn't agree more. The makers of this game must think Christmas has come early.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #36 of 69
csf334ks4.png

Not the most recent chart, but recent enough.

Eventually, objections to new media resolve themselves, as the young grow up and the old die out. As today's gamers grow older—the average age of gamers is already 30—video games will ultimately become just another medium, alongside books, music and films. And soon the greying gamers will start tut-tutting about some new evil threatening to destroy the younger generation's moral fibre.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't make a bomb out of a video game last time I checked. The problem isn't video games, it's the people playing them (or not in most cases). It's like blaming a gun for killing a person and not the person who pulled the trigger.

I disagree with this analogy.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is a dangerous quote, and a very slippery slope. It begs the question, who decides on what is the "greater good" in the realm of digital entertainment? Jack Thompson? Who decides on what infringes upon it? The ESRB? Likening a videogame to plutonium? Come on...

I hate censorship. There is a lot of stuff out there that I don't agree with, but I'd rather see it out there than have my government tell me what I am allowed to watch/play/listen to, so long as it causes no one else any harm and breaks no laws.

If they want to keep this stuff out of the hands of kids, they need to look to the retailers and the parents. The retailers need to check ID when selling M rated games. If they don't, they should be fined, a la cigarette sales. Parents need to take an active interest in what their kids are playing. Gaming entities can help through parental education, but again, the onus is on the parents.

The last few systems I have owned come with a built in "Parental Lock" that prevents anything over a set rating from being played. That should be problem solved right? NOPE. Because most parents are too caught up in their own lives to really look at what little Jimmy is playing or the options available to help them police it, but they will be the first to shout for tighter controls when someone blames a violent video game for the next school shooting.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #39 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Racing games cause people to speed, BAN ALL OF THEM!

Pac-Man encourages kids to eat, causing obesity, BAN IT!

Donkey Kong causes people to go on their roofs and drop barrels on people's heads, BAN IT!

Yes, Pong caused me to throw a ball at a wall.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #40 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree with this analogy.

Sorry, I was a bit heated when I posted that comment. Topics of this nature tend to get me a little riled up. I'll take myself out of this discussion before I go and say something I might regret later.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #41 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I don't play video games I am against (extreme) violence in movies, games etc.
What's the purpose of such games? Sadism, cruelty, .... ? What's the message here?

blink.gif

if we can express our sadistic nature in a virtual domain we can save many many lives in the real world
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #42 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Video games also don't cause you to die of radiation poisoning if you're anywhere within 30ft of them.

We're talking about video games here, not highly restricted and dangerous radioactive metals that most science labs can't even acquire...

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #43 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Parents need to take an active interest in what their kids are playing.

Even that can be taken to far, ala mavav.org.

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #44 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, Pong caused me to throw a ball at a wall.

My wife left me cause of space invaders. [size=xx-small](or at least that's what I tell myself)[/size]

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #45 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
America's Army the game was created as a recruitment tool for the armed forces, so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if what brailledriver said was true.

America's Army is the advertisement version of the game engine made by the MOVES Institute at the Navy's post-grad school. The internal military version is used for training, and the Army has licensed some Rainbow 6 games for the same purpose.

Video games are also excellent at ingraining reflexes into soldiers cheaply. Hear incoming fire? Hit the dirt, hide behind cover, find the enemy, kill. See man with gun? Aim, shoot, kill. Another army turned civilian game is Full Spectrum Warrior. That was made to graphically teach basic squad level tactics and the importance of cover. Sure, they're not great at teaching the physical skills of soldiering, but they're much cheaper at teaching the mental skills than live fire and force on force sims.

Whether or not these games are any good at teaching the will to kill is in question, but Lt. Col. Grossman certainly thinks so. He's about as close as you're going to get to an expert in these matters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
csf334ks4.png

Not the most recent chart, but recent enough.

Eventually, objections to new media resolve themselves, as the young grow up and the old die out. As today's gamers grow older—the average age of gamers is already 30—video games will ultimately become just another medium, alongside books, music and films. And soon the greying gamers will start tut-tutting about some new evil threatening to destroy the younger generation's moral fibre.

Bad correlation.

The cohorts that VCA's generally come from (poor, inner city, adolescent, male, disadvantaged, minority) are not the ones doing all the video gaming. Therefore, an increase in video game sales likely has very little impact on total crime, since they ain't the ones playing in the first place.

Whether or not video games increase violence in the cohort that plays them is not reflected in that chart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back