Relaxing/Night time piano recommendations?
Feb 6, 2008 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

WhatMACHI

500+ Head-Fier
After watching The Pianist i was reminded of how beautiful piano music can be (in contrast to the Hard Trance that ive been listening to).

Are there any calm, relaxing, night time pianist music that is not too....lonely or sad, that i could buy through amazon.com or the like? I thought to go into our local music store, but i would be doing a trial and error with picking what to listen to.

Maybe something like the composition played when the Nazi officer found him in the rundown house at the end of the movie?

Cheers.

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #3 of 22
At the risk of being flayed alive: In My Time by Yanni: I genuinely think this is a very beautiful, eloquent and emotional set of miniatures.

Of course, if you won't be caught dead listening to Yanni, or prefer something less straightforward, someting you can dwell your mind on, then I'd recommend BTTB by Ryuichi Sakamoto, Untitled by Tim Story, or The Plateax of Mirror by Harold Budd.

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 22
Not sure if it's what your're looking for, but The Melody at Night, With You by Keith Jarrett is perfect for that atmosphere. A lot of people swear by Ludovico Einaudi if you want something relaxing like that, but I'd rather have my nipples sanded that listen to him myself.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the risk of being flayed alive: In My Time by Yanni: I genuinely think this is a very beautiful, eloquent and emotional set of miniatures.

Of course, if you won't be caught dead listening to Yanni, or prefer something less straightforward, someting you can dwell your mind on, then I'd recommend BTTB by Ryuichi Sakamoto, Untitled by Tim Story, or The Plateax of Mirror by Harold Budd.

If you're going to play the Yanni card, I throw in a Tesh!
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 22
yanni - "in my time" is good. but i'd take just about any Bill Evans over it for relaxing night time needs. For example, "Moonbeams" or "Explorations" or the village vanguard recordings, etc.

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #9 of 22
I've only had the chance to listen to Debussy and Winston, and i quite like Winston
biggrin.gif

Ill try cruize through some online sellers to sample some of the other recommendations here.

Feb 7, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatMACHI /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only had the chance to listen to Debussy and Winston, and i quite like Winston
biggrin.gif

Ill try cruize through some online sellers to sample some of the other recommendations here.

Try "After the Rain" it's a collection of Satie piano works by Pascal Roge. Very relaxing.

412VKP8EETL._AA240_.jpg

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 22
Chopin's "Nocturnes" and "Ballades" are an excellent choice, as is a disc of Satie with the "Gnossiennes" and "Gymnopedies."

There are a number of Chopin pieces on 'The Pianist' soundtrack.

Bryans

Feb 9, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 22
I second the Chopin idea. The Mazurkas and Polonaises might be a bit much in the evening, though.

Bach works well in the evening.. Try the Italian suite (although mine is on the harsichord).

Beethoven's sonatas.. the hugely overplayed but fantastic appassionata, moonlight and pathetique. If you haven't heard them, you're in for a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back