Relatively cheap set of new cans...
May 25, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-dizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, what's the difference between the Alessandros and the SR-60s? I'm leaning towards the SR-60s at this point. Anything else I should know about them, or any other headphones I should consider?

The main difference between the MS-1 and the SR-60 is the sound; the MS-1 is a bit more neutral and analytical but perhaps with a bit less "fun" than the SR-60 is noted for. There are a couple other differences as well: The MS-1 has a four conductor cable instead of the three conductor unit on the SR-60, and the same materials as the more expensive SR-125. And of course you have the choice of 1/8" or 1/4" connector.

They both have the "comfy" pads, but one popular mod is to use the HD414 pads reversed and quarter modded. Being reversed, the pads put your ears a bit farther away from the drivers helping to keep the ears from touching.

May 26, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #17 of 25
OK, just a couple last questions.
1) What makes the Grados better than the PX100 (and vice versa)- highs/mids/lows? Soundstage? Clarity?
2)All the cans mentioned so far are open- are there any comparable closed ones that are worth a look? I looked at the K81DJ, but comfort complaints turned me away from it.

May 26, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #18 of 25
The SR-60s are no better than the PX100 or vice versa. They each do their own things well. The sound stage on both are about the same, but the PX100 places you several rows back from the performers while the SR-60s put you right next to the guitar strings. The PX100s have an emphasis on bass and do it very well, which is why I love using them for electronic or thumpy music. The SR-60s place more emphasis on the highs and mids, so voices sound better and high-pitched guitars also sound better. The comfy pads are much more comfortable than the bowl pads initially, but the bowl pads do get more comfortable over time. The PX100s are extremely comfortable and have the advantage of being portable. The nice thing about the SR-60s is that you can change/improve the sound by buying a set of bowl pads at a later time. This will increase the bass as well as smooth out some of the highs. The bowl pads give the music a more 3D feel to the music.

May 26, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #20 of 25
As good as the Grados look, I think I'm gonna go with the PX100s, and save that extra $30 towards some IEMs or something. One last thing though, where do you get those HD414 pads? Just looking at google, I can't find them anywhere.

Thanks for the help. Now I will continue to lurk these forums and come back for suggestions on my next set of headphones, when I can afford them
tongue.gif

May 27, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #25 of 25
Grado SR80's - $86 at headphone.com - request the discount coupon code. Only issue is that the cable on the SR80's is a little long...use it as a belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back