Relatively cheap set of new cans...
May 24, 2007 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

b-dizzle

New Head-Fier
Disclaimer: I'm not an audiophile.
I'm looking for a relatively cheap set of new headphones to go with my Zune. Right now all I have are some Sony MDR-EX71SL Fontopia buds- which work just fine for travelling and noise isolation. So I don't necessarily need something portable. I listen to primarily rock (all types) and some electronic music.
My priorities are good, clean sound quality, and comfort. I want to keep it at or below $70-80. Keep in mind they'll be driven by a portable player most of the time.
Thanks in advance.

May 24, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 25
ksc75 or Alessandro ms1 (a bit over your price range but well worth it).

kthxbye

May 24, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 25
SR60's, or a KSC75 and some music
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-dizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, yes, I looked at the SR60s and MS1s. My only concert on these is comfort. Will I be able to listen to these for a few hours without modding them?

I use the bowl pads on my ms1 and can only last 30mins to an hour. but with the stock comfy pads I could go much longer because.. well because they are comfy.

but no pain, no game. right?

May 24, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 25
It seems we all have different ears.

Back when I first received my MS2i with bowls, I managed to get in a fourteen hour listening marathon. But now; nearly nine months later, the bowls are more comfortable than they were at first.

....go figure.
plainface.gif

May 24, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #8 of 25
For comfort and a generally pleasing sound, try the Sennheiser PX100's. Yes, they are "portable" headphones, but they will work fine around the house, on the computer, out of a home stereo, playing your Zune -- whatever (and if you ever change your mind, they will be portable). They rest very lightly on the head and sound "bigger" than you think they would, given their form. Well within your price range, too.

PS: And the Grados do rock.

May 24, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems we all have different ears.

Back when I first received my MS2i with bowls, I managed to get in a fourteen hour listening marathon. But now; nearly nine months later, the bowls are more comfortable than they were at first.

....go figure.
plainface.gif

I guess my ears may stick out more than yours because the reason they become uncomfortable is because the sides of my ears make contact with the driver housing and it irritates me after time.

May 24, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 25
Ok, a few questions.
1. Soundwise, how are the PX100s superior/inferior to something like the Grados?
2. How do the MS1s sound different than the SR60s?
3. xnothingpoetic, your sig has some AT SJ5s in it; do you like those? How do those compare to the SR60s?

Try to describe the differences instead of just saying better, worse, etc.

May 24, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PS: And the Grados do rock.

x2
biggrin.gif

I wear my Grado RS-80s (w/ stock bowls) for hours without comfort problems, but your mileage may vary. The stock RS-60s (w/ comfys) are generally considered to be more comfortable than Grado bowls.

May 24, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by b-dizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, a few questions.
1. Soundwise, how are the PX100s superior/inferior to something like the Grados?
2. How do the MS1s sound different than the SR60s?
3. xnothingpoetic, your sig has some AT SJ5s in it; do you like those? How do those compare to the SR60s?

Try to describe the differences instead of just saying better, worse, etc.

I can't answer the first two questions as I don't have any experiance from the px100's or the sr60.

but as for you last question... well it's hard for my to compare it with the ms1(not sr60, I don't have that one) because my ATH-SJ5's are dirverless right now! (going to mod better drivers in them).

But from what I can remember is that they had more bass but less refined highs and less detailed. They don't isolate very well compared to IEM's but are comfy as hell(good)!

Edit: sorry for a noobish comparison, but I'm not used to using audiophile terms like that. My ears tell me what the differences are (good and bad) but it's hard for me to put them in words with terms and what not.

Save your $50(price of SJ5's) and put that towards an ms1. If you like rock you WILL NOT be disappointed. Do a search on the ms1 here on head-fi and I dare you to find more than 3 people... 1 person, who hate the ms1.

May 25, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #13 of 25
So, what's the difference between the Alessandros and the SR-60s? I'm leaning towards the SR-60s at this point. Anything else I should know about them, or any other headphones I should consider?

May 25, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For comfort and a generally pleasing sound, try the Sennheiser PX100's. PS: And the Grados do rock.

Ditto.

I don't have a ton of headphone experience, but I have had PX-100's for a couple of years and I think they are great for what they are (though now that I've been listening to HD-650's for a week, I know that the PX-100 is just a starting point...)

May 25, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #15 of 25
I loooooovveeeee my Px100's! I don't have much to reference about on the headphone side (my dads k500's) but Have some experience with speaker stuff. No they are not very detailed, but yes they are very allround . Rock/ JAzz/ Electronic whatever it sounds great , musical and warm. And comfort is 100% ! I listen to them every day for 2 hours. They have that vintage sound ( Warm and forgiving)

( mine are the old version BTW / orange blister pacakge )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back