Relatively cheap digital coax cable?
Jun 24, 2003 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap digital coax cable that would serve to connect my denon and incoming art di/o? When I had an art on loan from headfier highwaystar, I was spoiled(I think) by a cardas hi-speed cable. Will I notice a large difference? Is the cardas well regarded?

-Andrzej

Note: relatively cheap means around $50, preferably less.

Jun 24, 2003 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 14
I still have a bit of trouble with the types sound differences people discribe when talking about cables for DIGITAL sound, however, I built a set of ICs for my HA-1 (analogue) from Belden 89259, and they are quite nice. I immagine that they would work well with digital as well. The cables were quite cheap for me to build too. Jamont was kind enough to send me six feet he had left over, and a bit of quality solder. I bought a pair of RCA plugs from MCM. (the plugs look very nice, but don't fit well unless the jack is just the right size, and I had no idea how to connect the shield to the return side of the plug, so I had to spoof it a bit.) I used electrical tape to fatten the wire where it enters the plugs for a tight fit. I barowed a soldering iron from a friend and he helped me make the connections. I guess I've become a believer in DIY cables now.
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2003 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
Andrzej,

Get the Firemine from their promo page. $19 for a half meter... should suffice, no ?

Yes, they also have a .75m for $24. I don't think you are gonna find a better deal Andrzej. Email adam today!
-Mag

Jun 25, 2003 at 4:47 PM Post #9 of 14
That was the deal I was trying to steer you towards last night. I will probabaly be picking up one from signalcable.com. They have some very sturdy looking cables for excellent prices.
-Mag

Jun 25, 2003 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

I still have a bit of trouble with the types sound differences people discribe when talking about cables for DIGITAL sound....

I know where you are coming from Darkwolf. I mean, 1's and 0's are 1's and 0's. But I do know that when I switched from the Canare cable that I was using to the Cardas Neutral Reference Digital, I definitely heard a substantial improvement in overall detail and body. That is what got me started on using the NR for my analog IC's. Don't know the theory behind it it though.

Jun 25, 2003 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 14
I now plan on getting the digital cable that signalcable.com offers. It looks to have an excellent build and I'm sure it will do the job just fine. Plus it isn't very costly at all.
-Mag

Jun 25, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #14 of 14
The deals on the Zu's aren't the length I am going to need, I need about 1.5m and thier longest length(on promo) is .75m. Although, I wonder what kind of ebay prices Zu has on the firemine. I might email him and see. Its gonna be next week until I get all the things I need, so I got sometime.
-Mag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back