Reinforcing that out of head sound - Sheppi Spatial Enhancer
May 26, 2012 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Matt head 777

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I've done quite alot of mucking around with plugins and players and this has to be the best out of head, like the sound "is in front of you" I've come across. For me the sound doesn't all come from in front of you but it really does with lead vocals. 

I'm currently using it with Dolby headphone and it reinforces, makes the image more solid. Recommended don't go over the top with Sheppi it's a bit like sugar to your ears you can have too much. Sheppi is free and apparently rivals a very expensive plugin.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/sheppi_spatial_enhancer_by_open_ambience_project
http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_dolbyhp
http://www.foobar2000.org/

Here's what I am using, hope this helps :) Second pic is sweeter sound settings.

Note: with Foobar I found the sound sucks when using "primary sound driver" pick another from the list in foobar under "device". You can download new soundrivers from foobar site ie Kernel Streaming, WASAPI...

May 26, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #3 of 23
wow what a sweet sound!!!!
L3000.gif

May 26, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 23
From what I can say, it sounds extremely good on most recordings.
IMO, TB isone was coloring the sound and did not sound that good.
BS2B was great even with the sound coloration the soundstage was realistic.
The other crossfeeds didn't match BS2B, which one was my preferred crossfeed.

And now SHEPPI is really really great, sounds very natural and realistic, plus its free.
I have been playing with it a bit and these are my preferred settings. The change is subtle but non fatiguing and realistic :

May 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 23
I think I've touched the sweet spot with the simple effect of Sheppi :

And the default settings of head fit crossfeed.

PS : I'm not a big fan of the wide and deep effect, I think there is a bit of unpleasant coloration and a loss of precision.

May 27, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 23
Hi Puranti,

Glad you like it, I'll give your settings a try, I noticed the wetness or coloration that I noticed isn't apparent with my settings to me. This plugin with Dolby is FLAT OUT THE BEST! The singer is sitting right in front of me, not that annoying so close to kiss you but like 45 cm away roughly. Amazing. Better than isone or the others. I agree BS2B is popular but I don't notice it being anything like this. I'm using DH1 setting in Dolby.

YOU GOTTA TRY THIS!
o2smile.gif

May 27, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 23
I'm definitely going to try this, I'll edit my post to give you my comments.

EDIT :
To be honest, I think there is too much coloration, I tried also RPGWizard dolby headphones laid back config and I prefer it to yours, again it's my opinion.
I prefer a more subtle effect, so I'll stick with head-fit and Sheppi.
beyersmile.png

I've tested Sheppi with dolby, with BS2B and head fit.

I prefer by far the Head-fit + Sheppi (finally with the deep effect which is nice) combo.
atsmile.gif

May 27, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #8 of 23
Absolutely love this.

Possibly due to owning a pair of monitors (with which I do most of my listening), I really don't mind the in-your-head sound of headphones but this!! The way it places vocals just slightly further in front and lets the rest of the sound envelope you is just beautiful. I uninstalled Isone and DolbyHeadphone+channelmixer after trying them for an hour or so but Sheppi may be a keeper.

Agree with Puranti on the DolbyHeadphone+Sheppi combo though. Prefer Sheppi as a standalone, though I have not tried Head-fit.

May 27, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #9 of 23
cool we all have different taste's I'll give head-fit a try with Sheppi. Thanks!
beyersmile.png

EDIT: so far I still prefer Dolby + Sheppi, the spacious, holographic deep sound appeals to me. I don't feel it compromises the sound, but just changes the way it's listened to using headphones -a bit like how people defend Isone
atsmile.gif
. But in my opinion my setup is better than Isone; which loses detail fair enough because it's a room simulation, but it also muddies the sound.

I guess I'm a dolby junkie so far and Sheppi subtly applied makes it better!! I'm always happy to keep trying, retrying plugins.

That head-fit is a useful plugin; pink noise generator, parametric eq, frequency analyzer...tho I don't really understand the crossfeed settings...

May 27, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #10 of 23
After some use of head-fit, it seemed the sound is a bit veiled like the sound is a bit rounded off-less treble. Not saying that spoils the sound, but I noticed it.

Also if using Sheppi with Dolby headphone make sure to put Sheppi then Dolby 2nd in the plugin chain, it makes a big difference.

May 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 23
I've already tries both ways but still, the effect is too much for me.
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #13 of 23
can u tell me the host for this plugin?? what can run this ?? will the spatialization work with an iem like the shure se 535 ?? 

Jun 3, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:
can u tell me the host for this plugin?? what can run this ?? will the spatialization work with an iem like the shure se 535 ?? 

The host I'm using is foobar, I've also used J River media player successfully. Also QMP media player works. But if you want to also use Dolby (recommended) you would need to use foobar. http://www.foobar2000.org/ It should work great with your iem's.
smile.gif

Note; when running foobar highly recommend you choose under "device" anything but "primary sound driver" I found it ruins the sound. You can download drivers for example "Kernel streaming" or "WASAPI"... from the foobar website.

Dolby headphone plugin: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_dolbyhp

Sheppi plugin: http://www.kvraudio.com/product/sheppi_spatial_enhancer_by_open_ambience_project

Jun 3, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #15 of 23
im using ubuntu (linux) os ...so ... hmmmmmmm :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back