Regularly use TripleFi 10s with your iTouch/iPhone? I have a challenge for you.
Dec 13, 2010 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Sn4chm0

New Head-Fier

I'd like to ask anyone interested to try this out and post your comments here.

This only applies to iOS 4.1 or newer; previous versions have a completely different (read: useless) equalizer.

Triple-Fi 10s have (much as I love 'em) a sub-optimal frequency response:

Sound drops off below 200 Hz, and dips dramatically around 3k.

Now, check out the graph for iOS 4.1 "Acoustic" EQ preset:

(Note - this graph slides all frequencies down one bar from the graph above.  The bass bump levels out just before 200, and the hump peaks around 3k.  A near perfect match.)

To my ear, the sound is plainly better.  Instruments are more balanced, the bass much tighter and more present.  I converted from never using EQ to using the Acoustic preset by default, and haven't looked back.

I'd love to hear other's input.  Do you feel this genuinely improves the quality of all your music?  Do you notice any decrease in overall sound quality?

Give it a shot, share your experience.

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 14
When I had the triple fis I always used it with the acoustic eq setting on my iTouch, which was also running 4.1. everything just sounded better. I also use the setting with most of my other 'phones

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 14
I don't know. I don't like it too much. Kind of takes the snap out of my lows. It sort of closes my sound stage a little as well when the TF10s are pretty good in the sound stage department. I personally don't like it and sort of sounds unnatural to me. I do have to admit it does smoothen out my mids something I do like, but with the TF10s recessed mids its hard to compare it to the 535s (eq on and off). But since I am listening to Rush, I definitely want to hear Neils foot action and the equalizer just doesn't cut it for me. Just a personal preference.

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 14
I find my observations to be in line with what QuantumXL said. The beater head on kick drums definitely gets muffled, and the highs are taking a hit that's a bit too drastic for me.

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 14
Great input so far.  I agree, there is some reduction from norm in the highs.  I think TF10s have some exaggeration in that range, but that's just what many like about them.

Also bear in mind, if you don't normally use EQ, you need higher volume (about 5-10% for Acoustic) to achieve the same DB output.

Quote:
My TripleFis come on wednesday... I'm using 4.2.1, is the "acoustic" preset the same? If so, I'll do some tests for you. 

Yea anything newer than 4.1 uses the new EQ.  Love to hear your thoughts.

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 14
heres my thoughts on it. with an iphone, or ipod touch, they have very dirty output signal. so, if i do have to use my ipod touch (i have one even though i dont like how it does audio) i always leave the eq completely off. the way ipods change the eq, really messes with the output. i think if you guys are having to make adjustments to your eq's to make your headphones sound right, you should consider getting a different audio playback device. i use the sony walkman x series player. it has a DIGITAL AMPLIFIER (yay!) and i have hooked both devices up to my oscilliscope and the ipod just has super dirty output. apple is good at computers and stuff, but leave the audio to audio brands like sony right? i got a little off topic, but i think you guys should leave the eq's off if you are going to use an ipod or iphone.

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 14
Digital amps are not an advantage sonically but are VG effeciency wise. It could be better than another amp but not because it's digital. The Touch is as good as any readily available DAP though the EQ is limiting and it's great via line out. Here's actual measurements from the headphone jack. http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/foster/index.htm 

The maximum output and distortion with no load at 1 kHz was 1.04 dBV rms and 0.009% THD. The numbers did not change for loads between 300 to 600 ohms. The unit is easily able to cope with most headphone impedances because the output impedance approaches the ideal, 0.9 ohms. The S/N ratio was –79.5 dB. At a more likely 0.5 dBV rms output level, the distortion was 0.014% and the S/N was –76 dB. The 2nd through 5th harmonic distortion components never exceeded –75 dB. The IMD was 0.008% using the IM standard 60 and 7,000 Hz tones. Frequency Response at 0.75 dVB rms output, both channels into 300 ohms: 17–16,000 Hz was flat. Between 18–20 kHz the unit was down 0.1 dB, excellent. 

Back to topic but I couldn't let that pass and I'm a PC guy.

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 14
OK, so I got the TF10s today... the cables are not quite what I expected for $200, but that's another story. Personally, I find the acoustic setting a bit flat compared to having the EQ off. It could just be by brain interpreting the volume change that way, but I think having the EQ off makes it sound a lot more "interesting". Voices are clearer. The funny thing is, even though the acoustic preset is supposed to raise lows, the drop in all of the dubstep songs I've listened to so far sounds muffled with acoustic on.

Also, these things have AMAZING noise cancellation with the foam tips, and good cancellation even with the plastic ones. I feel like these work better than the shooting earmuffs I usually use... I might try shooting with these things next time I have a chance. 

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #12 of 14
Does this mean the IPT actually has decent SQ?

I am a bit of a beginner I don't understand what actually constitutes good SQ in a player in terms of technology... Can you explain a bit more?

Quote:
Digital amps are not an advantage sonically but are VG effeciency wise. It could be better than another amp but not because it's digital. The Touch is as good as any readily available DAP though the EQ is limiting and it's great via line out. Here's actual measurements from the headphone jack. http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/foster/index.htm 

The maximum output and distortion with no load at 1 kHz was 1.04 dBV rms and 0.009% THD. The numbers did not change for loads between 300 to 600 ohms. The unit is easily able to cope with most headphone impedances because the output impedance approaches the ideal, 0.9 ohms. The S/N ratio was –79.5 dB. At a more likely 0.5 dBV rms output level, the distortion was 0.014% and the S/N was –76 dB. The 2nd through 5th harmonic distortion components never exceeded –75 dB. The IMD was 0.008% using the IM standard 60 and 7,000 Hz tones. Frequency Response at 0.75 dVB rms output, both channels into 300 ohms: 17–16,000 Hz was flat. Between 18–20 kHz the unit was down 0.1 dB, excellent. 

Back to topic but I couldn't let that pass and I'm a PC guy.

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Does this mean the IPT actually has decent SQ?

I am a bit of a beginner I don't understand what actually constitutes good SQ in a player in terms of technology... Can you explain a bit more?

Many audiophiles prefer to stay away from Ipods. It's that their sound quality isn't "THAT" great. Doesn't mean that the sound quality that can come from an Ipod is always bad. A lot of audio philes just hate the internal amp that is built into the Ipod. However, many don't care and like the db that are pumped out of the Ipod. To be truthful I'm not sure if the Ipod touch has the same amp as the 5th gen Ipod video. But all in all, mainly Ipods run internal amps that many people don't like. It's all personal preference. I like the sound from my Ipod. Hopefully I will be able to upgrade to my new AMP/DAC soon. (Thats the alternative. Use a Line out Dock to an AMP to make it sound clearer. Pure sound from the underdog kind of deal)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back