Regular sized male usb off of headphones to either a 3.5mm or 1/4 inch stereo headphone jack adapter
Mar 28, 2014 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Greyiron

New Head-Fier
To be clear I want to use my headphones that have a male usb end, that goes into the computer, and get a female adapter that turns into a stereo either a 3.5mm or 1/4 inch stereo jack. Do they even make that, I have looked and come up with every kinda thing not even associated with the adapter.  Even an odd link or two for adult toy stores
deadhorse.gif
  So if they do I sure would like to be pointed into the right direction to buy one.  Or be told what the proper name is for this adapter that would help too.
Thanks

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 4
  To be clear I want to use my headphones that have a male usb end, that goes into the computer, and get a female adapter that turns into a stereo either a 3.5mm or 1/4 inch stereo jack. Do they even make that, I have looked and come up with every kinda thing not even associated with the adapter.  Even an odd link or two for adult toy stores
deadhorse.gif
  So if they do I sure would like to be pointed into the right direction to buy one.  Or be told what the proper name is for this adapter that would help too.
Thanks

The USB end outputs a digital signal, 3.5mm & 1/4" (6.3mm) plugs are analog.
So you would need a DAC  (Digital to Analog Converter) to go between the USB and the 3.5mm/6.3mm plug.
You might do better to cut off the USB part (Digital port) and solder a 3.5mm or 6.3mm plug to the cable endend

What make and model headphones are they?

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 4
A headphone that has an USB connection means it has a built-in DAC (a.k.a. miniature sound card). that will take the PC's digital data and convert it to analog sound. A 3.5mm connection is only good for good old analog sound. So if I am guess right, you want an 'adapter' that will make your headphone USB connection takes an analog sound via a 3.5mm connection. The short answer is, such magical adapter doesn't exist, because it is impossible to ask the DAC inside your headphone to recognize the analog signal that sent to it, even if someone can hack an adapter together for you. It will be like trying to stuff a floppy disk into the CD-rom of your PC and ask it to play it out.

Cutting off the USB connector might not work (that easily) as well. I reckon the DAC is inside the earcup and there might be some amp section too. If that is so, the speaker driver inside the headphone might not have enough sensitivity to sound loud enough without some kind of external amplification. That's just a lot of work for very little gain, unless you are the DIY type and like to take on a project.

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 4
They are the old Gamecon 7.1 headphones gen 1,  they sound awsome to me very balanced to my ears.  I was hoping to use em on my tube amp.  looks like I will have to stay with the JVC HA-MR55x's I was given for Christmas.  Funny thing is I did not ask for them and don't really like them.  They have to much bass and not much detail, kinda murky sounding to me.  Like Cerwin Vega speakers, lots of bass, loud as hell, no detail.  When budget allows for it prolly go for a set of Grado's the 2 pairs I demoed sounded really good to me.  Old school looking but comfortable too.
Thanks for the answers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back