Regional Driver Differences
Dec 31, 2006 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

john_jcb

This is a customized witticism.
I was driving to the gym this morning and was once again struck by the huge difference between drivers in different regions of the country. I travel quite a bit and rent cars everywhere I go so I have a chance to see many different drivers. Here in the Midwest we have some of the least courteous and law abiding drivers. Here a pedestrian takes their life in their hands by making a crossing at a crosswalk without a light. Time after time I will also see someone rush to get a head of you just to make a right turn a few feet later when it would have been far easier to pull in behind you. I have spent a lot of time out West recently and it is real difference where every pedestrian is given the right of way. I could go on and on.

They other thing that amazed me is how people would wait for a close in spot at the gym instead of walking across the parking lot. I guess walking outdoors is not good exercise.

Dec 31, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 4
Have you visited Los Angeles lately? Not only is the driving scary, but we've got a mess of people not from this country with no license, no insurance and no driver's ed. They come here, buy a $400 junker, and drive it around. If they hit you, they usually run so they won't be arrested and/or deported. And if it isn't an accident, the junkers often die on busy streets and freeways causing massive traffic backups. I'm not going to get into the culture or politics of this, but from a practical standpoint, it's a complete disaster.

You absolutely need hefty UIM coverage here and there's no point in having a nice car. It either gets wrecked or stolen.

Dec 31, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those yellow taxi driver really are notorious.

I cant stand taxi's downtown Chicago. I noticed how different people drive pending on the highway they are on. where I-94 meets with I-55 its just nuts! they have a name for the area also..name fits perfectly (i am sure John knows it). I 290 and 294 are bad with speed (sometimes 90mph is nothing). i like I-55 cause its free and easy.
I like how people drive in Michigan and Ind..very laid back and nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back