Regards to L3K / EQ
Jan 5, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #31 of 41
When I listened to the L3K it seemed like they had a strong emphasis on lower-mid/upper-bass. Could be resonance from the wood used. It made female vocals sound deeper/darker and more syrupy than sounded natural to me, which naturally eclipses some of the detail in the upper mids.

Jan 5, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #32 of 41
Hmm... played with the EQ in Foobar and it seems like any deviation produces a less than desirable result... of course that could be due to a subpar eq in the digital domain. I have roughly EQ'ed the sound by choosing the components in my setup - the Ack! 2.0 w/ bright caps really extends the treble and tightens the bass, the 7n7 in the Slam reigns in the upper mids.

Jan 5, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
yes that's the thing. Alex's (AYT's) phones are the new production whereas the one's being offered to me are the old production. I'd love to hear both of course.

Neil

You know, I've heard both, but never at the same time. Hirsch? Hirsch?

Jan 6, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #34 of 41
neilvg>Unfortunately the he90's while having more body and goes lower bass wise and is doesn't sound blatantly fast all the time over the he60's, they do not have the analytical midrange you are looking for.

It has a very smooth midrange. Maybe the smoothest I have heard so far. So this might be problematic for you.

Have you tried using the he60's and he90's out of the same amp yet? This would let you determine for sure which suits your taste's.

The he60's sound the most fun but the he90's offer a more all rounded listen. Unfortunately many headfiers expect it to sound so close to the he90's, This is bad from the point of view that the he90's offer a more polite sound, It may prove too polite for you.

Jan 6, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #35 of 41
Hi Neil,

I have toyed around with EQ'ing my Grado HP1000, PS-1 etc. There are a few way to go about this.

1. Just sell your L3000's to me and don't worry about this issue!
smily_headphones1.gif

2. Most folks EQ with cables, tube rolling, swapping out components, etc. This is a good way to change the sound, but it will not really help address specific details with a set of cans. Not to mention this method can make someone go broke pretty fast too!

3. The best way to EQ is adding a high end EQ. Yes EQ's are still made, but seldom used as a add on component nowadays, except for the studio. One name that is used studio wide and will give your the most curve control is the Beringer ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496 (http://www.behringer.com/DEQ2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG) which retails around $300-$350. It is an amazing unit and you can EQ till your ears bleed! Balanced sources will work great, but you can sneak around by using some hybrid RCA/XLR cables to hook non balanced gear up. Also Beringer makes a variety of other units that may suite your crave to EQ such as the Beringer ULTRAGRAPH DIGITAL DEQ1024. Take a look and you may find what you want.

Hope this helps you out a little bit.

MSport911
k1000smile.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
neilvg>Do you still use the emp a.e?

To be honest I never liked the emp a.e and l3k combo. It just didn't match well i.e dark+warm=dull.

Sure it will sort out the upper mids to some level but the emp a.e adds quite a bit of body to the l3k's which the l3k's are not shy of.

Also the emp a.e rolls the highs compared to other amps I own. So when you partner it with a phone which is dark anyway I am not suprised you did not like it.

I love my emp a.e but I rather use it to amp cans like qualia's, sa5k's etc.

I think with eq you need to lessen the amount of bass the l3k's has. This will bring it more in line with the rest of the midrange. You could also maybe add a little more in the treble frequency.

If that still doesn't work out for you then just sell it.

From reading your posts you need something in between the he60's and l3k's which are quite opposite end of the spectrum.

EMP drives the AT can, AD2000 very good, but not that good since it doesn't bring me the experience of WOW while HD600, RS1 can. Even though the EMP AE plays a much more excellent job than the EMP, much better sounding in all areas, it still not a superB match at the point that it lacks something that I don't know how to describe, but I find a little bit about this, I describe it the soul of a headphone on the integrated SS headphone amp in Lavry Black DA10. So I am well founded to say that a high level SS amp or SS based tube amp will be the real best match of AD2000. And I believe that this assumption applys to L3000 as well.

Jan 6, 2006 at 12:37 PM Post #37 of 41
I agree with GRW too. Perhpas the L3000s are just not the phones for you. Personally, I love them, and enjoy them every bit as much as I did the R10 though for differnt reasons - both, of course, are colored.

As to the DHA3000 comments - and these comments are based exclusively upon using the L3ks - I think you are mistaken. This amplifier does a remarkable job in my system and is almost on a par with my old Maestro ZR. Now I should point out that I use an Apogee Big Ben to reclock the signal and this makes a substantial difference. As to the digital capabilities such as no DVD/A or SACD etc. this is true.

But as a DAC with the L3ks I continue to find the DHA3000 commendable despite the fact that another amplifier would allow me to use my Burmester as a source - I just don't miss it with the DHA/L 3k set up.

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbratrud
I agree with GRW too. Perhpas the L3000s are just not the phones for you. Personally, I love them, and enjoy them every bit as much as I did the R10 though for differnt reasons - both, of course, are colored.

As to the DHA3000 comments - and these comments are based exclusively upon using the L3ks - I think you are mistaken. This amplifier does a remarkable job in my system and is almost on a par with my old Maestro ZR. Now I should point out that I use an Apogee Big Ben to reclock the signal and this makes a substantial difference. As to the digital capabilities such as no DVD/A or SACD etc. this is true.

But as a DAC with the L3ks I continue to find the DHA3000 commendable despite the fact that another amplifier would allow me to use my Burmester as a source - I just don't miss it with the DHA/L 3k set up.

Hi Michael,

If you don't miss it then sell it to me, ha ha
very_evil_smiley.gif

While I enjoy the L3k's just as much as other headphones, It sounds to me that neilvg doesn't enjoy them and I doubt if EQ would still fulfil his taste's.

While I have not heard the dha3000 it does seem odd that even with tone controls of the amp he could not find the sound that neilvg wanted.

But I wonder what lies in wait for neilvg headphonewise. It seems he's keen on the he60's and maybe an amp which makes the he60's more to his taste's than his L3K's.

Nomad>Not as half as bad as the Qualia's to Rs-1's/650 it's like *ouch* time
rs1smile.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 11:03 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbratrud

Mbatrud, you just made my day, while waiting here for my DHA3000
biggrin.gif

GRW, Now try a Dynahi on the Qualias and a Melos on the RS-1 while going from one to another
eek.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #40 of 41
LOL!

You guys rock. Good people's you are...
orphsmile.gif

Well I think what I have decided to do is get a really kickin' amp for my HE60... maybe justin's upcoming Aristeaus? Who knows. I'd also like to try a 007t (as soon as I get my he60 adaptors).

Anyway, like we all know by now, i've tried eq'ing the L3K's.. and while I have seen some improvement in the sound, I cannot fully 'accept' this phone it seems. Sad. But that's my ears. I think MSPORT will be receiving a reply email...
rolleyes.gif

But, they are so beautiful... hehehe... That's a whole new level though, to keep a pair of phones because they look good and are comfortable.

I still have yet to try the K701's... any comments on how these fit into the signature of the HE60---HD600-R10---L3K world of things?

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #41 of 41
neilvg> I think maybe one of these might suit your taste's better.

Hp1k's, w2002's, R-10's

I have not heard the k701's or the new w5k. So you might as well add them to your list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back