Rega Planet vs. Rega Planet 2000
Aug 7, 2006 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

utarch00

500+ Head-Fier
Other than the casing and updated components. What is the difference between these two units? Manly the sonic differences?

Is the 2000, $150 or more better than the original?

Aug 7, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 12
The difference in sound is substantial. The 2000 sounds much more refined and has a better high end. I found the original dull sounding and slow. I bought a 2000, and now an Apollo.

Aug 7, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 12
There is an old review of the Planet 2K that compares the sound, and I believe the build, differences between the two units. A look at Audiogon for a list of the reviews might be helpful.

Aug 7, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 12
From my recent interest in word clock sync'ing, I discovered that the Planet 2000 has word clock input/output. This could be huge if you DAC also has the capability, since it's a great way to reduce jitter. Other than than, I think the Planet 2000's look much better
cool.gif

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #6 of 12
I haven't heard the Planet 2000 yet, but I do have the original Planet. It sounds good with its internal DAC, but I hooked it via coax to my PreSonus Central Station, and use it as a transport. It sounds excellent. If you have an external DAC, or are thinking about getting one, the Planet makes an excellent transport. I like the looks of it, too.

Aug 8, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
From my recent interest in word clock sync'ing, I discovered that the Planet 2000 has word clock input/output.

No it doesn't. It can be modded to have one though.

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #9 of 12
check out the lessloss website.

It has to be modded to do it. lessloss mod it to slave the cdp to its dacs superclock frequency, but i believe they can do a word clock if u want.

However, shipping rega all the way to lithunia isnt a smart move. Maybe you can go katong mall and check out one audio shop. They might know how to mod. I do not have their contact but i know one of the guys there while eating steamboat in makan parade at parkway. He cooks steamboat soup at night.

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
No it doesn't. It can be modded to have one though.

Oh wow I saw an Audiogon posting a while ago that advertised the Planet 2000 as having word clock
confused.gif

Aug 10, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline
Forget the old ones. The new apollo is much better and the new saturn stunning.

oh..great now I have to go for a listen
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back