rega planet 2000
May 22, 2003 at 3:29 PM Post #31 of 51
Guardian,
Describe the distortion you are hearing. It could be a cable issue--is your Cardas Golden Reference connected to the amp?

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say it was your amp. My impression of the META is that it is not in the same league as the rest of your components. The HD600 and Planet 2000 will definitely respond to as high an upgrade as you choose to go with.

May 22, 2003 at 5:35 PM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Guardian,

The Senn 600s are harsh on the top-end. You are just now hearing that harshness as that player is feeding your cans a decent signal that is not being reproduced very well.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. The HD-600 may be laid back at the highs, but it is absolutely not harsh.
rolleyes.gif

Based on the description of the problem, I'd look at the cabling or amp.

May 22, 2003 at 5:45 PM Post #33 of 51
Now I can see no reason to buy a cdp and not an sacd that does play cds well unless someone has a huge cd collection and does not have plans to buy new music. On my system, pure DSD Sacds are quite a step above redbooks, including the best recorded XRCDs. The problem with my rig[ musical fidelity a3cdp/philips 963-cardas neutral reference-mg head otl mkii with NOS tubes-cardas cable-hd600] is that I cant stand to listen to many poor mastered cds...and yes, the harsh recordings will be harsh, but many others are soo sweet
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2003 at 6:06 PM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Sorry, but this is nonsense. The HD-600 may be laid back at the highs, but it is absolutely not harsh.
rolleyes.gif

Hirsch,

I spent some time listening to the Senn 600s using both an RKV and a Sugden Headmaster hooked-up to my Arcam CD23, and both displayed quite vividly that when compared to the Sony CD3K the Senn high-end was a little harsh in comparison. There was a harshness to some cymbal hits that just weren't evident on the Sonys. If I still had them I would compare them again to the Grados and Sonys, but that is not possible.

It could very well be that not that he has switched from PCDPs to a full-sized unit that he is getting a lot more high-end energy than he is used to, and it is a little harsh by comparison. Or even a little harsh to him at least.

May 22, 2003 at 6:11 PM Post #35 of 51
Wow! I have never heard the HD600s sound harsh. I always found them to be a bit bland. This was consistent from many amps I have had. A Headroom Supreme, MicroZOTL, and a Tangent META42.

Interesting.

May 22, 2003 at 7:27 PM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
rolleyes.gif

hd600 is a bit grainy in the high-end. depending on my mood, i'd agree with calling it "harsh" at times, but most of the time i just call it grainy. even with the cardas cable, it's still there.

i hear absolutely no grain in the high end of the grado hp-1, so i have no other option than to believe it is a problem inherent in the hd600 itself. hd580 definitely has this too, and to a greater extent.

May 22, 2003 at 8:05 PM Post #37 of 51
After reading grinch's post I guess harsh is a little strong. It was a little grainy when the higher notes on the sax hit, but it was not glaring or anything. You could really tell it only when you A/B'd them against something else with a better high-end extension. The Grado HP-1000 would be a great candidate for this type of testing since it is so smooth up top. And, for Hirsch, the R10 would obviously do the trick quite nicely also.

May 22, 2003 at 9:24 PM Post #38 of 51
I think that the distortion is due to poor recordings.. which is very disappointing. On the Jorane cd, when the multiple cellos and vocals and percussion build to a climax and the cymbals flourish, they sort of.. fizzle. But when things are quieter they sound good. Does that sound like a problem with my source material or with the cables/amp? I don't think it's the graininess of the hd600, since the same sounds are fine at other times. It's just these same parts of the recordings everytime.

My Cardas Golden Reference ICs were bought used and quite stained-looking, but I cleaned them and absolutely everything else as well with Caig products until they shined. They seem firmly connected to the amp; I don't see a problem with their connection. After I rearrange my room I'll change their positioning, but I can't see why this might help.

My META42 is a brand new top-of-the-line one from KurtW. Here are its specs:

- Hammond silver 1455N1201 case which measures 4.72"D x 4.060"W x 2.09”H
- Noble 27mm smooth action potentiometer for excellent channel matching
- Front panel also has a 1/4" Switchcraft headphone jack, and yellow LED power indicator, and a Blend control.
- Volume and blend knobs are Kilo ML series in aluminum matte finish, 0.925" diameter
- Rear panel has two Cardas RCA jacks, round power switch and 2 external power jacks; one for 9v battery input and one for walwart adapter with internal regulator/filter
- AD8620 dual op amp soldered directly onto board for shortest signal path
- Cascode FET current sources to operate the op amp in Class A mode
- 2 EL2002 output buffers per channel
- EL2001 buffer in power supply with TLE2426 railspliter
- Power supply caps: four 470uF Cerafine electrolytics, as well as two 6.8uF Wima poly caps
- DC-coupled circuitry
- Vishay/Dale 1% Metal Film resistors
- Teflon insulated silver plated Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) wire for input/output paths
- Sockets for the output buffer ICs and gain resistors
- Output resistors replaced with jumpers (using sockets so you can put resistors back in if desired)
- Set for a gain of 9.6, other gains available upon request
- 500mA walwart supply and internal voltage regulator/filter for 24 volt operation; includes a LM317 1.5A voltage regulator for 0.01%/V line regulation, short circuit protection and 80dB ripple rejection and an additional 3000uF capacitance for filtering. Battery input will bypass the regulator.

I'd be really surprised if the less-than-divine nature of this first hi-fi experience is due to the amp. What do you guys think? I really appreciate your help on this. I put a lot into building the system, but, as it's my first, I can't pinpoint my problems (if I really have any) to particular components. If I am hijacking the thread at this point, please let me know and I will make a new thread in the members' lounge.

May 22, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #39 of 51
well when i had the gilmore V2 and my meta42 that has premiunm parts and large caps. i think the ad8620 is a lil bright .i compared the V2 to the meta42 and the gilmore is warmer at the top end .
it could be the amp then IMO.

May 23, 2003 at 7:08 AM Post #40 of 51
I'm sorry, but I just don't think a META in any configuration can do the HD600 and the Planet 2000 full justice. It's a good interim solution (the META), but the 600 is a world class phone that will respond to substantial upgrades.

May 23, 2003 at 3:11 PM Post #41 of 51
Yea i agree. Your equipment outranks the meta. A lot of it could be the recording...Thats why its good to have a reference cd in which you know the recording is good. If I were you id look into a new amp. Good luck!

May 23, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #42 of 51
The meta is ultimately meant for my future transportable rig anyway, so that's not terrible to hear.. But does this description sound like an amp-caused problem? The Jorane album features a lot of varied hand percussion and it usually sounds great, but when there is too much going on the sounds seem to interfere with each other a tiny bit. This is how the distortion I am hearing seems to happen. Bass, multiple vocals, varied percussion, plucked strings all occurring at once seem to interfere with each other, and some of the sounds shake or fizzle a tiny bit. I find it pretty noticable. Is that something that could be caused by an amp?

For future reference (and more on topic for the thread), what are some good higher level amps for the Rega Planet 2000? They should work well not only with the hd600 but also with a wider range of phones including the cd3000, grados, etc.

May 23, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

For future reference (and more on topic for the thread), what are some good higher level amps for the Rega Planet 2000? They should work well not only with the hd600 but also with a wider range of phones including the cd3000, grados, etc.

Most amps are generally geared towards either a high or low impedance. So you may have trouble finding an amp that works well with most all headphones.

Your best bet would be to look into the new line of amps built by mikhail. The supra and the other 2 are getting high praise around here (gawd im so glad we found that ebay auction)... those would defenitly be your best bet.

Others to look into would be the rkv, the twinhead (a little much though), the otl32, maybe even an mg head. Good luck!

May 31, 2003 at 2:25 PM Post #44 of 51
For the last week, I have been testing my Rega Planet 2000 vs. the Philips 963SA. It has been very interesting to say the least.

Stereo Setup:

Rega Mira 2000 Integrated Amp
Kimber Hero Interconnects
B & W CDM1-NT (on B & W stands)
Kimber 4TC biwired
Rega Planet 2000
Philips DVD-963SA
Various Mapleshade vibration isolation tweaks

As a CD player for the price the Philips represents good value for the money. Add SACD and a whale of a DVD player and you have a true bargain.

The Philips does lows very well. They are nicely controlled and seem to go deeper than the Planet 2000. When you engage the upsampling feature, control and depth of the lows is increased still. Plucked basses and bass drums are much more defined and heard. This gives the musical presentation a bit more drive and pace, comparing the Philips to the Rega.

The mid range of the Philips is damned neutral. This is one of the places where the Rega shines. It has such a sweet, open mid range that the 963 sounds the tiniest hint antiseptic by comparison.

The 963’s upsampling feature, which does some magic (or plays tricks), is quite an interesting feature. When disengaged, CD’s sound a bit forward, but not too forward, depending on the recording. When upsampling to 96/24, a little bit more soundstage is developed and the digital etch is removed. When upsampling to 192/24, soundstage is deepened tremendously. There is more air around instruments and there is much more focus to their location within the musical presentation. This deep soundstage, however, sacrifices the sparkle and high overtones of the instruments. Sacrifice may be too strong a word; bury might be a better one. The sparkle is still there, it resides with each instrument on this deepened soundstage; it is just not fleshed out well, making your perceived listening position relative to the music further away.

This brings me to the Philips’ major fault – its handling of the high frequencies. The highs are rolled off a bit, which manifests itself in a number of ways. This is true whether using or not using the upsampling feature, by the way. First, the crispness associated with percussive transients is diminished. Strikes to snare heads and triangles don’t have their characteristic leading edge. This, again, places the listener further away from the musical action. Second, there is a whiteness or opaqueness to the sound in the high frequencies. Instrumental overtones are not as prevalent as they are in the Rega, resulting in a more sterile sound. Third, due of this high frequency lack, microdynamics do not have their intended dramatic effect and seem to lack their subtle energy and vibrancy. Last, because of this high frequency extension problem, vocals and transients with much high frequency information, which need the highest overtones to complete and focus them, can have some sibilance to them.

I do have a bit of a proviso to the preceding paragraph; I have only had this player for one week, and although I have made great efforts to burn it in since I received it, I am sure there is more burn in to go. And, high frequency extension is where I have noticed that burn in helps most with this player. Also, putting the last paragraph in perspective, it is not as though the Philips has no high frequency extension; relative to the Planet 2000, this is the Philips’ greatest fault. Further, these differences can be measured mainly in degrees, not orders of magnitude.

Also, the Philips’ transport is noisy. It tends to make a clicking/rumbling noise on some CD’s on the first few tracks. This diminishes as later tracks are played.

Overall, the Planet beats the 963SA; the Rega has greater musicality, fluidity and refinement. The Planet has greater high frequency extension, is much more natural and, hence, sweeter in its musical presentation and gives each instrument its due in terms of individuality and delicacy. However, at the low end of the spectrum, the Philips does outdo the Rega a bit. And, depending on how important video is to you, not to mention SACD, the Philips proves to be an exceptional value. On the other hand, for sheer CD musicality, the Rega is unbeatable at its price point. And, both players represent tremendous value for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back