Rega P1 vs. Technics SL-1200MK2
Mar 7, 2007 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

jjhatfield

Frank
EDIT: I ended up buying the 1200, but please still feel free to vote or comment.

Hello Dedicated Source Components Forum-

Simple question. I'm at the beginning of thinking about maybe possibly considering buying a vinyl rig. I don't have a lot of vinyl, and am aware I'm probably suffering a bit of gear acquistion syndrome, but the format interests me. I'm not searching for audiophile quality sound, just decent sound which doesn't sound like mud.

The Rega P1 is attractive to me because it is from a well-known analog company, and is $350 with a cartridge pre-installed - almost completely plug and play.

The Technics SL-1200MK2 is attractive to me because of its 30+ year long history, and the fact that I can buy one from www.kabusa.com. Kevin has been great about answering my newbish emails, and I have a feeling it would be a pleasure doing business with him (I have no affiliation with Kevin or kabusa other then browsing their website and exchanging a few emails). I would probably go with the integrated Groovemaster, since I wouldn't have to mess with alignment. This would put the price at $675, almost twice the price of the Rega P1, which is why I have reservations.

Given my circumstances, your own experiences, or your desire to clickie the little radio button and click "vote" (I can't control who votes in the poll
smily_headphones1.gif
), what would your totally subjective advice be?

This purchase is probably still a ways down the road, I have a few more things I want to sell and a bit more money I want to save up before making any purchases.

Mar 7, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 28
I was in your shoes until recently. I looked at new and used options from $350 to $900. From everything I've read (you probably read them as well), the Technics is the superior turntable, and it will scale with upgrades. With the P1, I believe upgrade options are limited if not nonexistent. Its main advantage is its simplicity and setup and use.

But in the end, I opted to get an extremely cheap turntable to wet my feet. I picked up a vintage 70s Pioneer turntable in extremely good condition from a local seller for $45. He even replaced the belt. This thing has the original stock cartridge and stylus, but even with 30 year old parts, the sound is extremely good. I can see why people love vinyl.

Mar 7, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 28
i voted 1200, but i think the best option is to go for something vintage.

Mar 7, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 28
jjhf: Depends on your style of usage, upgrade intentions, possible dj-ing intentions, placements options et cetera. Plus, in all fairness, while an OM5E isn't a bad cartridge per se, you would at least have to upgrade to Ortofon's needle 20 or needle 30 in order to make it comparable to the KAB-GroovemasterIIAE: So it's more like 450 or 520 to 675 bucks - still quite a difference, but already a lot better than 350 to 675 bucks.

However, my totally subjective advice for a vinyl beginner would be: Neither, nor - but get a Technics SL-BD20 instead. That should only set you back some 150 bucks, but is good enough to give you a good glimpse of the vinyl sound (even more so with a better upgrade cartridge - easy to install due to T4P/P-mount, no further adjustment needed...) and would be just the right thing to keep, in case you find out that vinyl isn't really that much for you and you only want to listen to a handful of lps per month in acceptable quality. Or to keep as secondary player, if you find yourself wanting more later on...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, my totally subjective advice for a vinyl beginner would be: Neither, nor - but get a Technics SL-BD20 instead.

Interesting! Like you said, these go for $150 brand new at musiciansfriend. I'll do some more research into this, thanks for the tip.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i voted 1200, but i think the best option is to go for something vintage.

x2

Mar 8, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 28
Your best option is to buy a 2nd hand Technics 1200MK2 that has had little use.Millions of them are out there so you should have little trouble finding one.As funds allow you can upgrade it with a Rega 250 tonearm which is very easy to change but until then the stock tonearm is quite usable.

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't the Technics a skratch turntable? i.e. "not audiophile"

Like my avatar, that's a Stanton ST8-150, a skratch/mix turntable, I wouldn't say it's applicable to be used for audio :p

The Technics is indeed best known as a popular DJ turntable, but equipped with the right cartridge, many claim it is a fine mid-fi turntable for listening. However, there is a long-running debate about this point amongst audiophiles, which really is the direct drive vs. belt drive debate.

Mar 8, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Technics is indeed best known as a popular DJ turntable, but equipped with the right cartridge, many claim it is a fine mid-fi turntable for listening. However, there is a long-running debate about this point amongst audiophiles, which really is the direct drive vs. belt drive debate.

There is no debate.The Technics 1200 MK2 is a high end audiophile turntable with an antiquated tonearm which doesn't meet modern standards.My personal Technics performs way beyond mid-fi.I have nothing against belt drive and rim drive turntables,but it will have to take a pretty good one to match mine.

Mar 8, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #12 of 28
I used to own the SL1200GLD and a VPI Super Scoutmaster. Personally, I loved the Technics. With a few upgrades, I see no reason it can't be used as an audiophile turntable.

Mar 9, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks all for the input, I just ordered a Technics SL-1200MK2 w/ Groovemaster integrated cart and Bellari VP129 tubed phono stage from KABUSA.

You go, Jack!
icon10.gif

Between the Modwright, the Stello, and the SL-1200, you should have most formats well-covered! Keep us updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back