Rega P1 vs ProJect Debut III vs Music Hall MMF 2.2 vs Used
Apr 7, 2010 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cruizin caleb

100+ Head-Fier
Turntable to be used with:

Headphones: my Grado RS-1 and Grado SR-125
Amp: Little Dot I+ Hybrid Tube Headphone Amplifier
Music: The Killers, Vampire Weekend, Arcade Fire, Beach House, Radiohead, Grizzly Bear, MGMT, Modest Mouse, ect...

^^stuff i own

Phono (haven't bought this yet - looking for something cheap that also allows me to rip to my dad's computer) : TCC TC-750LC, TCC TC-760LC, or TCC TC-754

will this be an upgrade / new sound from digital (Lossless files via Macbook via uDAC)?
I don't want to spend more than $150 on a used turntable and I don't want to fix anything up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 9
Why must the used TT be less than $150? You are limiting yourself to a lucky find of a good old japanese direct drive (which may require work anyways, but will smoke the other 3 entry level TT's) or the consumer grade rubbish you find used at that price point.

Bump it to $250 used and you should be able to find a technics 1200 used. AS long as you avoid one thats been DJ'd on its a rock solid record rotator and will take those 3 and make them wish they were never born.

If you can swing full price used ($350-400) I would advocate doing that. Well, Id still say get a SL1200, but a patient man can get a used Planar 2 for $350, or the next models up in the project or music hall lines. If nothing else the used "next step up" wont lose 20% of its value because you opened the box, someone else had the privilege of opening the box and loosing $100.

ooh, yea, just get a nice clean Technics 1200.

Apr 7, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 9
Rega P1 by a fair margin. I have compared both and the friendly owner of a local store who has tons of experience and uber expensive turntables also told me the same. Right from build quality, components and parts used, and to the sound, P1 is quite a bit better. Its a great starter player and its very very easy to setup and use and it sounds very good in stock form. They are slightly limited in terms of upgrade path. But really, I'd pick this one for starters and if you really like analog, go and get a P3. P3 is quite a bit better than P1 though, just throwing that out there
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why must the used TT be less than $150? You are limiting yourself to a lucky find of a good old japanese direct drive (which may require work anyways, but will smoke the other 3 entry level TT's) or the consumer grade rubbish you find used at that price point.

Bump it to $250 used and you should be able to find a technics 1200 used. AS long as you avoid one thats been DJ'd on its a rock solid record rotator and will take those 3 and make them wish they were never born.

If you can swing full price used ($350-400) I would advocate doing that. Well, Id still say get a SL1200, but a patient man can get a used Planar 2 for $350, or the next models up in the project or music hall lines. If nothing else the used "next step up" wont lose 20% of its value because you opened the box, someone else had the privilege of opening the box and loosing $100.

ooh, yea, just get a nice clean Technics 1200.

Here are my reasons for being willing to spend an extra $150-$200 on a new turntable more than a used turntable:
  1. Warranty
  2. Peace of mind - whenever i buy something used i all to often find myself thinking (completely unwarranted)
  3. 1. why did they get rid of this? (convinced they had a good reason)
  4. 2. what type of history has this seen?
  5. 3. analyzing what might be wrong with it even if nothing is wrong with it.
  6. Don't want to have to fix anything up - as small as it might be. its all part of the "peace of mind" thing.

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 9
the project debut III is a little gem. it comes with the ortofon om5e, i believe. which is a really nice cartridge and stylus set for a turntable so cheap.
and easy and quick upgrades get you closer to the pro-ject expression level. you can change out the platter, mat, stylus (go eliptical), feet, etc. a step at a time.
i love mine!!
icon10.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the project debut III is a little gem. it comes with the ortofon om5e, i believe. which is a really nice cartridge and stylus set for a turntable so cheap.
and easy and quick upgrades get you closer to the pro-ject expression level. you can change out the platter, mat, stylus (go eliptical), feet, etc. a step at a time.
i love mine!!
icon10.gif

Mega Dittos!

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 9
i would definitely go for the rega p 3, or if you can afford the p 3 24,
i had been considering the p3
i think the p 3 24 has a more sophisticated tonearm (supposedly better, doubt you could hear a diff. but who knows) the p 3 tonearm is easeir to set mount. the rb 301 i think it was

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 9
everyone on head fi is technique fanboys and thats cool, just my observation, they are pretty awesome, but it annoys me that they dont offer a model with key lock, like stanton or numark.
i really like the stanton st 150, untill i found out how much it weighed.
i really want a table with keylock, i just wish an auto had this and not a dd tt.

anyone have any experience with the much lighter stanton t 92 which has key lock. only worry is that it has a fixed pitch and i worry i wouldnt be able to speed tempo as fast as my liking.. this may not even be a problem considering it has 78 rpm option, not sure if this would suffice, man i wish i had key lock!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back