Rega Jupiter upgrades and mods
Jun 3, 2011 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

lolo

New Head-Fier
Hello kind people.  I'm new to installing upgrades and mod'ing my electronics.  What would be the first, second, and third mod for a Jupiter, or any CD player?  I'm not trying to accomplish any particular sonic change, just trying to make mo' better at what it already does.  Any thoughts?  Thanks for your time...and brilliance !........Lori

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 7
Rega makes a fine product. I still love the old Planet I keep around. I might give it new power supply caps one of these days, but that probably wouldn't change the sound. It'd just ensure that it kept working well.

You might want to think about buying a DAC and using the Jupiter as a transport. Depending on the DAC, you might get better sound.

You might want to stay from the various companies that provide "mods." One notorious one puts epoxy on the chips and a few other finky things, then charges a lot of money. Others bypass capacitors with boutique ones and similar, but that can crowd the board and introduce heat dissipation and reliability issues. Also, a lot of people shy away from modded gear. I do, because the quality of the upgrades can be questionable. I only buy stock units or ones that have had parts replaced according to factory spec.

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 7
Well hello, Uncle Eric.  It's an honor to meet you.  I've run into a number of your posts along the way.
Thanks for the DAC idea.  I will strongly consider that.  Do you have some good, cheap DAC's to recommend? 

Here's my ignorance showing again:  Does a CD player use coupling caps?  Some DIY folks say that upgrading 'cup caps', e.g. to V-Caps, can improve/clarify the sound.

Thoughts anyone?

Jun 5, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:

Here's my ignorance showing again:  Does a CD player use coupling caps?  Some DIY folks say that upgrading 'cup caps', e.g. to V-Caps, can improve/clarify the sound.

Thoughts anyone?

The Saturn probably has coupling caps in the signal path of the analog section after the DAC. But it's probably not worth it to go to V-caps because they are so expensive - you would be better off getting a new CD player or transport/DAC. You could go with less expensive boutique caps though.

I used to own a Rega Planet which I modded. Since the Saturn is similar in construction, here one easy first mod: mass load it - buy pieces of lead and glue them to the inside of the chassis. Add some Dynamat or similar material on surfaces inside the chassis. If you want to test this concept, buy a few bricks and place them on top of the player to hear the effect.

The second thing you can do is swap out the power supply caps for boutique ones - but this may change the sound.

Jun 5, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 7
Thank you Purrin.  I love the simplicity of the first/second mod:  Lead+Dynamat. Generally, what kinds of sound changes might you expect w/ a change of power supply caps?  What makes of caps do you recommend? 

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 7
More dynamics, smoother highs, stronger bass? It's hard to say, you have to experiment - that's the fun of it. I believe the Rega Saturn uses some decent quality (but not boutique quality) caps. You can try Nichicon Muse (ES, FG, KZ) or Elna (Silmic, Cerafine) for the smaller electrolytic caps. For the larger caps PS, try lowish ESR caps: Panny FC, FM, Nichicon KG, or Illinois Capacitor parts. Also you can bypass the electrolytic caps above with smaller film caps (Vishay MKP, WIMA, etc. or other depending on what you can fit on the other side of the PCB.)

Jun 8, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #7 of 7
Oh my gosh.  You are the cap-tain!  Wowsa.  You're a little DYI-er aren't you.  That's ok,.  I'll keep your secret. 
So..."purrin", eh?  Got a cat?  'Cuz if you do, I'm definitely not keeping that a secret, except maybe from my own. 

Thanks for your input.  I'm copying and pasting that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back