Rega Ear PSU Upgrade thoughts
Aug 5, 2004 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
Any Rega Ear owners out there, if you have not already, should replace the included power supply with a regulated job. Mike (Pinkfloyd) suggested this as a good tweak to do, and I have been testing it since I got it.

Basically the sound just seems a touch clearer and cleaner, seemingly allowing a bit more detail to come through, and the it copes most noticably with busy sections of music better - not that it was bad in this respect, but its certainly put the finishing touches on what I believe to be a cracking little budget amp. At £25 ($45) it was not exactly an expensive upgrade either. Not an enormous upgrade, but certainly noticable and worthwhile IMO.

You need a 24v AC supply. Only 500 mA is required, but I got 1,000 mA for the extra headroom.

Aug 6, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 13
Paul,

You know, I've been thinking about that ever since I got my Rega Ear amp in August 2003. Tuberoller once said in his comparative review that the Rega Ear actually sounded better with the Creek OBH-2 power supply unit. I feel a bit helpless because I just don't know where I could find such a power supply upgrade here where I live, Creek or otherwise. I'll try to find one at the Hi-Fi expo this coming September, but it's too much of an entry level item so I may just not find any there. Is there any particular PSU brand or model that you recommend? I'd really like to upgrade my PSU. I very much appreciate your input!

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Aug 6, 2004 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
Click Here

#400-6939 (highlighted in red) is the one I bought.

Thanks Paul!
biggrin.gif
Hey, that's a local dealer I've never even heard of and it's not very far away! I'm placing an order today! Again, thanks!

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Aug 6, 2004 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

You need a 24v AC supply. Only 500 mA is required, but I got 1,000 mA for the extra headroom.

i've wondered about this - what are the benefits of feeding extra current to an amp?

Sep 24, 2004 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

I'd rate the improvement at about 10%.

Hello there Paul!
smily_headphones1.gif
Well, I've just got the regulated PSU. The same one you've got. First thing that happened is I've noticed it's for 230Vac input and I've got 115Vac out of the wall socket down here. No problem cuz I went out and got me a small, cheap, and quiet 115>230V transformer. Now it's working.

The thing is, I'm straining to hear any differences between the stock PSU and this regulated one. They apparently sound the same. I've listened to many CDs with dynamic passages and still I can't seem to hear any difference.
frown.gif
Maybe I've got no golden ears, but when I upgraded IC cables I heard the difference readily.
plainface.gif
I'll keep trying though, but so far the investment seems hardly justifiable IMHO.

Cheers!

Sep 24, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 13
I've tried my Rega Ear today with two different sets of interconnects:

JPS Labs Superconductor FX (at $300 USD it costs more than the Rega Ear)

AND

Chord Cobra 2 ($100 USD)

You can certainly hear the difference between cables in this respect. The JPS Labs is a VERY transparent interconnect. Detail and resolution are there in spades, without question. Sound seems more open, natural and relaxed at the same time. The Chord Cobra, whilst a decent cable, seems congested in comparison.

Sep 25, 2004 at 8:53 AM Post #9 of 13
Alex, sorry to hear it has not worked out for you
frown.gif

I still maintain that I feel like I can perceive a difference with the newer power supply, but your experience clearly shows how the mileage can vary.

Thanks for letting me know anyway.

Sep 25, 2004 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Alex, sorry to hear it has not worked out for you
frown.gif

I still maintain that I feel like I can perceive a difference with the newer power supply, but your experience clearly shows how the mileage can vary.

Thanks for letting me know anyway.

Paul, perhaps my ears just aren't good enough. You see, I'm 38 years old and I've got some mild hissing Tinnitus. Maybe that reduces my ability to hear the improvements.
plainface.gif

Oct 5, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Altorfer
Paul,

You know, I've been thinking about that ever since I got my Rega Ear amp in August 2003. Tuberoller once said in his comparative review that the Rega Ear actually sounded better with the Creek OBH-2 power supply unit. I feel a bit helpless because I just don't know where I could find such a power supply upgrade here where I live, Creek or otherwise. I'll try to find one at the Hi-Fi expo this coming September, but it's too much of an entry level item so I may just not find any there. Is there any particular PSU brand or model that you recommend? I'd really like to upgrade my PSU. I very much appreciate your input!

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Something I don't understand here. The Rega PSU is a 24VAC job. The Creek OBH-2 puts out 24VDC. How did this PSU work with the Rega?

-Rajiv

Oct 5, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rajivarora
Something I don't understand here. The Rega PSU is a 24VAC job. The Creek OBH-2 puts out 24VDC. How did this PSU work with the Rega?

-Rajiv

Rajiv, I haven't tried the Creek PSU with the Rega Ear, but Tuberoller did a long while ago in a comparative review "Rega Ear vs Grado RA-1 vs Creek OBH-11se vs Creek OBH-11 w/pic", and this is what he said about it:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
If you like your music detailed and accurate this is your amp. I think SACD is a very good match for this amp. On a side note: I was not happy to see that the Rega does not have an available power-supply upgrade. I actually tried the Creek Obh-2 supply to see if it offered any improvement and sure enough it cleaned up every aspect of the Rega's act.

I don't think the Creek PSU is better than the Mascot unit I got, and I couldn't tell the difference between the stock PSU and the upgrade. I think I just don't have Tuberoller's golden ears. I also think the review I'm quoting is no longer in the Head-Fi database as it is very old. This was three years ago, I think.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back