Rega Ear or Gilmore Lite?
Nov 8, 2004 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Piccolo Daimaou

100+ Head-Fier
I've finally narrowed down my amp choices to the Rega Ear and the Gilmore Lite. The amp (whichever I choose) would drive my HD580's from my soon to be acquired Emu 1212m. I'm not necessarily concerned about achieving the absolute sound quality, but the lower price of the Rega Ear is very appealing, as is it's reported great synergy with the high impedence Sennheiser cans. Taking those factors into consideration, I kind of leaning toward the Rega Ear. I'm just wondering what others think about this. Has anyone hear both the Ear and the Lite?

Nov 8, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 12
I've read many places here that the Rega Ear i a good match with the HD580, 600 and 650 of the Senns. The Rega Ear was built for them.

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 12
Piccolo,

The synergy between the HD 580s and the Rega Ear is superb. Just remember that the fundamental principle of "Source First" is "Garbage In, Garbage Out". I cannot guarantee that the Ear+HD580 combination will sound good with your computer soundcard. Maybe you should consider upgrading your source first. You should at least audition how the Ear+HD580 sound with your soundcard prior to purchase. Any great amp will sound appalling when burdened by a source mismatch.

Cheers!
580smile.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaou
I have a feeling that the 1212m is going to sound pretty good. Just speculation....
biggrin.gif

Sure. Actually, I'm rather ignorant regarding soundcards and external DACs, so I really don't know what a "1212m" sounds or even looks like. If it sounds good, then the Rega Ear should sound good with it. Of course, synergy is always a factor. One could spend an absurd fortune on an ultra high-end system and still get lousy performance from it if it's individual components aren't synergystic. Good luck on your upgrading!

Cheers!
580smile.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 12
The Rega Ear shouldn't sound bad when used with the Emu 1212. From what I hear it's a great soundcard! (just hope your music files are ripped at high bitrates...)

Still, I'm using my recently purchased Rega Ear with HD650's and a valve-hybrid CD source... I must say that the sound is excellent! Very impressive. Full of punch and detail with a warm and vivid midrange. There's a real synergy here, with the Rega Ear/HD650 combo being more than transparent enough to hear anything from differences in recording quality to source and/or interconnect changes...

I use Sennheiser HD25's with my iPod when on the move, and love the combination, but my home rig is in a different league altogether. Don't get to listen to it enough, tbh.

Nov 9, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

I have a feeling that the 1212m is going to sound pretty good. Just speculation....
biggrin.gif

I had a rega ear for a while and ran it with my 1212m and 580s, sounded great, you will not be disapointed with that combo.

I have not heard the gilmore lite however, sorry can't give any input there.

Nov 9, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gundam
The Rega Ear shouldn't sound bad when used with the Emu 1212. From what I hear it's a great soundcard! (just hope your music files are ripped at high bitrates...)

Well, seeing as how I have a mix of Monkey's Audio and uncompressed wavs, I don't think that'll be a problem.

Nov 9, 2004 at 12:04 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Well, seeing as how I have a mix of Monkey's Audio and uncompressed wavs, I don't think that'll be a problem.

Then what are you waiting for? Go get the Ear! You won't regret it.
580smile.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 11:43 AM Post #12 of 12
Hi all, first-time poster here :wink: I have this suspicion my Rega Ear output level is higher into the left channel. Shipping it back to the vendor would mean waiting forever, so if I choose to apply some form of correction, should it done up- or downstream the amplifier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back