Rega Ear Issue
Jul 26, 2006 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jigglybootch

Headphoneus Supremus
My Rega Ear picks up quite a bit of noise. When running it in my bedroom (on the third floor of the house) I can very clearly hear radio stations. When music is playing, I can't hear them, but when there is no music playing, I very clearly hear radio stations. When I run the amp in my basement, however, I hear nothing but silence. This is rather annoying. When I had my Gilmore Lite, there was no such interference no matter where I had it hooked up.

Would any kind of power conditioning or anything of that nature remove the interference that I experience?

Jul 26, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 8
I don't think the Ear is built very well or at least not shielded properly. I have had some issues with different kind of noises in different places I have used it. Haven't tried power conditioning with it though.

Jul 26, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 8
When i had mine I picked up radio stations with it all the time. Of course I picked it up with several receivers also so I don't know. I had to get a battery powered amp to fix it.

Apr 21, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 8
Do you all use shielded interconnects? If not, the interconnects are probably to blame for picking up radio stations. Interconnects can act like antennas, picking up RFI, EMI, etc. and transmitting it into the amp. The Rega has an aluminum case, so it seems unlikely it's the culprit. Blue Jeans Cable uses a double-braid shielded cable for its interconnects. The owner tested several varieties of shielding and found that to be the best.

Apr 21, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 8
I didn't like the Ear in any way. Unless you just love the way it sounds, I'd sell it and get something else. Not trying to be offensive, JMO.

Apr 21, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balisarda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you all use shielded interconnects? If not, the interconnects are probably to blame for picking up radio stations. Interconnects can act like antennas, picking up RFI, EMI, etc. and transmitting it into the amp. The Rega has an aluminum case, so it seems unlikely it's the culprit. Blue Jeans Cable uses a double-braid shielded cable for its interconnects. The owner tested several varieties of shielding and found that to be the best.

My ~$100 Firestone amplifier didn't pick up radio stations, which btw are transmitted in the MHz range. This device has no excuse but bad design if it's picking up radio stations.

Apr 22, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Balisarda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just curious, but was there any reason to bring back a nearly year old thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back