Rega ear/Creek/HD600
Aug 18, 2006 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

skopje

New Head-Fier
Hi i am new to this forum, and would really appreciate some advice.

I am a musician and have just made the jump to recording on computer. I have sold my mixing desk and now have no headphone output.

I have also just bought a pair of HD600 headphones to join my HD 25s and beyerdynamic DT300s.

My aim is to get an acurate picture of the songs that i am mixing. I was a little dissapointed listening to the HD600s into my Marantz CD5000. On some CDs i had to have the volume up almost full and it distorted. Is it me or are the HD600s bass light?

Anyway yesterday i recieved a rega ear. I plugged in my HD600s expecting the world to ignite, now that the headphones were being driven properly. And it does sound slightly better than the marantz, but i was expecting a bit more clarity.

I am now looking into the creek headphone amps. Are they better than the rega ear?

many thanks in advance

stephen

Aug 18, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by skopje
Hi i am new to this forum, and would really appreciate some advice.

I am a musician and have just made the jump to recording on computer. I have sold my mixing desk and now have no headphone output.

I have also just bought a pair of HD600 headphones to join my HD 25s and beyerdynamic DT300s.

My aim is to get an acurate picture of the songs that i am mixing. I was a little dissapointed listening to the HD600s into my Marantz CD5000. On some CDs i had to have the volume up almost full and it distorted. Is it me or are the HD600s bass light?

Anyway yesterday i recieved a rega ear. I plugged in my HD600s expecting the world to ignite, now that the headphones were being driven properly. And it does sound slightly better than the marantz, but i was expecting a bit more clarity.

I am now looking into the creek headphone amps. Are they better than the rega ear?

many thanks in advance

stephen

Get one of these and look no further!

198155069_a9d9250e79_o.jpg

Benny.

Aug 18, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 11
Is there much difference in sound vetween the creek 22 and the 11?

Has anyone ever listened to rega ear and creek back to back, or owned both? I don't really have the budget to go above £150. I have read some great things about the xcans though

stephen

Aug 18, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
The OBH-11 is tube-based, I believe. The OBH-21/SE is entirely solid-state and is not to be associated with the bad rep its older sibling suffers from.

Cheers for that i really appreciate it

stephen

Aug 19, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 11
Neither are tube based. The 21 is the upgraded 11. Supposed to have better parts and two headphone jacks. Might come with the better power supply also. I have owned the Rega and Creek at the same time with the HD600 and preffered the rega. The Creek had a bit of a hard edge in my system that the Rega didnt have so I sold the creek.

Aug 19, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
Which Creek did you own?

The OBH 11.

Oct 21, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 11
If you won't hear a difference with the Rega then you won't hear a difference with any other amplifier. The Rega sings with the 580/600/650 models and it definitely opens them up and has its own sound signature which happens to suit them very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back