Rega ear any good on a laptop or macbook with spdif out
Sep 25, 2015 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ignaceii

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I use the heAdphone primarily on the laptop.
But I do not hear significant sound quality.
Is it so that the hifi installation is the best place for the Ear.
If this is so, the little handbook is very unclear on how to connect the ear in this country nstallation.
I mean, I have the audiolab preamp, the Rwga Dac and the Rega elicit r amp.
Where does the input and link sockets on the ear go to. Link to amp , preamp ? Which sockets on the amps to use.

So 2 questions
ear on the laptop, worth the hassle with cables in a relax seat !?
How to connect the Ear on the preamp or amp.? Link or input ?

If the hifi is the best place, I always think of selling.

Thanks for your answers

Sep 25, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #2 of 16
OK, first off, I hope you didn't pay regular price for that as there are a lot of amps out there for less that don't have its issues, primarily its +26dB gain, which can be a problem on jsut about any headphone and most modern recordings unless you use ReplayGain.

Quote:

Rega ear any good on a laptop or macbook with spdif out

I use the heAdphone primarily on the laptop.
But I do not hear significant sound quality.
Is it so that the hifi installation is the best place for the Ear.
If this is so, the little handbook is very unclear on how to connect the ear in this country nstallation.
I mean, I have the audiolab preamp, the Rwga Dac and the Rega elicit r amp.
Where does the input and link sockets on the ear go to. Link to amp , preamp ? Which sockets on the amps to use.

So 2 questions
ear on the laptop, worth the hassle with cables in a relax seat !?
How to connect the Ear on the preamp or amp.? Link or input ?

If the hifi is the best place, I always think of selling.

OK, now on to using the Ear. The SPDIF output is useless for the Ear by itself because it doesn't have any SPDIF input - you're going to have to use the DAC. Problem is, as I assume, it's connected to the Elicit R already. You have to check the Elicit-R if it has any tape/tape loop outputs, and hook up the Ear there, this way the signal from the DAC is routed to the Ear if you want to use that instead of  the Elicit R.

If you're worried about the cable mess and want to use a headphone amp next to the laptop then forget the Ear and just get a DAC-HPamp combo unit that can sit next to the laptop instead of using it next to or having long cables to integrate it with the Elicit-R and DAC. Something like the AudioGD NFB-15 ($260) will work, and no need for the SPDIF output as it takes USB. Just make sure to check drivers as I'm not sure how it works with Macs.

If you already have it and don't want to sell it, then just either hook it up to the earphone output of the Mac with a 3.5mm to RCA cable, or get another DAC, in case you want it in another location far from where your DAC and Elicit-R are.

-------------

Just to give you an idea regarding a relatively compact set-up, here are mine:

Main Set-up: Samsung Galaxy S3 >USB-OTG> Meier Cantate.2 >> Sennheiser HD600; alternately, Samsung Galaxy S3 >USB-OTG> Ibasso D-Zero >Line Out> Meier Cantate.2 >> Sennheiser HD600

Back-up Set-up: Samsung Galaxy S3 >USB-OTG> Ibasso D-Zero (hidden behind the amp) >Line Out> Rega Ear v2 >> Sennheiser HD600

Bedside Rig: Samsung Galaxy S3 >USB-OTG> Ibasso D-Zero >> Superlux HD330

Sep 25, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 16
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
But I use a windows laptop. Not connected to the hifi, standalone.

But now, my Hifi problem still not resolved.

I used a tip from the Whathifi site.

I connected the DAC to the input of the Ear and the LINK of the ear to the AUX of the amp.
I know I am still not there, I explain in a minute. But Headphone sound was great.
But no sound from the speakers...
Why. Cause there is a preamp in the playing which drives the main amp.
Now the handbook says something about amps and preamps, but not the three.

So. Having result with the first connection, how do I connect the preamp in the playing. Or should the LINK of the ear go to a free socket on the preamp, whatever... Preout is already taken of course.

So. How do we get the DAC, EAR, PREAMP and AMP correctly connected ? Given they should play and on speakers and on the headphone of course.

As to the laptop, I will have a DAC soon available, even with a headphone amp built in. But it is a Topping, not a REGA.
Just connect the DAC to the headphone out. And use the built in headphone socket of the DAC. I see no way to go from the DAC to the EAR.
The USB interface is usable with the Topping D3, And its RCA output to the INPUT of the EAR.

Thanks for giving a try to these 2 scenarios.

Ignace

Sep 25, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:
But I use a windows laptop. Not connected to the hifi, standalone.

Well your title says, 

ignaceii said:
Rega ear any good on a laptop or macbook with spdif out

Plus Windows laptops with SPDIF output are rare nowadays, so I mentioned the drivers for Mac (in case you use USB from it).

Quote:
I connected the DAC to the input of the Ear and the LINK of the ear to the AUX of the amp.
I know I am still not there, I explain in a minute. But Headphone sound was great.
But no sound from the speakers...
Why. Cause there is a preamp in the playing which drives the main amp.
Now the handbook says something about amps and preamps, but not the three.
So. Having result with the first connection, how do I connect the preamp in the playing. Or should the LINK of the ear go to a free socket on the preamp, whatever... Preout is already taken of course.

So. How do we get the DAC, EAR, PREAMP and AMP correctly connected ? Given they should play and on speakers and on the headphone of course.

First off...what do you mean by "AUX of the amp"? None of the inputs are labelled as Aux (which in some cases could even be an output, ie, some might use the term "Aux" on an auxilliary output like the tape out). Since you are running the DAC through the Ear first (I totally forgot it has  the Link connection when it's right next to me when I replied) then I suppose there isn't anything else going into the Elicit-R - did you try connecting the Ear Link output to the Input connection on the Elicit-R? There's five of them there (make sure you don't hook it up to the MM phono input).

Second, did you hit the Mute button on the Ear? AFAIK the Link output is manually activated by that button, not sending out a signal all the time nor deactivated by plugging in a headphone. Try hitting the Mute button.

Third, whether you have amps and preamps, it doesn't matter. If the Link is an auxiliary pass through output it wouldn't matter to the Ear whether it goes to the Audiolab or the Elicit-R from there - technically speaking either way it's going into a preamp circuit, the only difference is that the Elicit-R has the amplifier stage built into it. In any case, do you really need to use the Audiolab? I'd much rather skip it since the Elicit-R has a preamp stage with a lot of inputs and some outputs anyway.

Hook it all up this way if you are skipping the Audiolab: Digital source (laptop?) >> DAC >> (input) Ear (Headphone output) >> Headphone
                                                                                                                                        Ear (Link) >> (Input x) Elicit-R (hit Mute when using speakers)

If you really want to use the Audiolab (especially if you have a TT, which you can hook up to the Audiolab, and the nyou can rout them to either amp): 
Digital source (laptop?) >> DAC >> (Line input) Audiolab preamp (Tape loop) >> (Input) Ear (Headphone Output) >> Headphone
                                                                                          (Preamp output) >> (Direct Input) Elicit R >> Speakers

Quote:

As to the laptop, I will have a DAC soon available, even with a headphone amp built in. But it is a Topping, not a REGA.
Just connect the DAC to the headphone out. And use the built in headphone socket of the DAC. I see no way to go from the DAC to the EAR.
The USB interface is usable with the Topping D3, And its RCA output to the INPUT of the EAR.

Again I'm confused because your title asks...

Quote:
ignaceii said:
(Is the) Rega ear any good on a laptop or macbook with spdif out (?)

In any case it will have the same performance if hooked up to the same DAC on your main system. Between the Topping and the Rega Ear though some headphones might pair better with the Ear as it's likely to be the better amp; however any headphone or especially IEM that has a high sensitivity will not need a lot of power from the Ear, plus the gain would be an issue.

In any case then just keep the Ear with the rest of the main system and use it when you cant use the speakers, but want to use the same DAC and whatever digital source you have there (or a TT if it's hooked up to the Audiolab), then use the Topping with the laptop.

Sep 26, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 16
There are 2 scenarios.
I use the ear wirh a laptop non spdif or macbook . There is no hfi in the room. Standalone I said. Is it any use coupling the ear and topping to the laptop , with limited space, being a relax, ...

Second, other room is the rega -audiolab scenario wirh rega dac.
I will try your answers out.
But my rega dac is in repair.

Now I am exercising on a Nad preamp with 2 anps behind, and a advance acoustic dac. The preamp 1021 has 2 preouts, both used to drive the amps.
Makes no difference or does it. Of corse I must choose an amp to come back with the link from the ear. Dac goes to input ear.

Well, all a bit chinese for me. What is TT ?
But I will get there. Managed to couple the amps over the preamp too. I was ITer, melomane, no audiophile yet :frowning2:.

Sep 26, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 16
I managed it with the three Nad amps, 1 being the preamp.
Dac >> input Ear.
Link Ear >> tuner preamp (or any free socket).

Previously the dac went directly to the tuner.
Selecting options on the dac with tuner in on the preamp.

Now, I make a tour over the Ear.
Volume knob on the preamp is even more sensible now and generates even more volume.
As I cannot mute on the nads, I mute on the ear, and it works.
Mute in, headphone.
Mute out, speakers.

Perhaps I will leave the Ear in the Nad environment. I spend most of the time in this Nad-pmc speaker environment.

I will leave the laptop and wait for another dac-speaker to test this one. The Topping D3 I mean. Only 1 box in the seat.

Sep 26, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 16
Only I have 1 disadvantage. There are 2 devices which do not pass over the dac, but are directly connected to the dac.
The turntable of course and a streaming device, which captures spotify but has no digital outputs. So this one goes to the tape socket of the preamp.

As the ear is connected to the dac, only devices on the dac can be used with the ear.

The first 2 do not work.
So I will limit myself to the dac-devices.

Or I need to split the input, using a splitter, one for the Dac in, and anither for the preamp. But I only have the phono sockets left over on the preamp. The tape is used by the streaming Poweradd device, and the aux by the nad pp2 turntable amp.

But again, I do have a working solution alrhough not complete.

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Well, all a bit chinese for me. What is TT ?

Turntable

Quote:

Only I have 1 disadvantage. There are 2 devices which do not pass over the dac, but are directly connected to the dac.
The turntable of course and a streaming device, which captures spotify but has no digital outputs. So this one goes to the tape socket of the preamp.

As the ear is connected to the dac, only devices on the dac can be used with the ear.

The first 2 do not work.
So I will limit myself to the dac-devices.

Or I need to split the input, using a splitter, one for the Dac in, and anither for the preamp. But I only have the phono sockets left over on the preamp. The tape is used by the streaming Poweradd device, and the aux by the nad pp2 turntable amp.

But again, I do have a working solution alrhough not complete.

For multiple sources check if your preamp has a tape loop output. If it does, then hook up the Ear to that, and then connect the preamp to the input of the amplifier.

Actually, skip the preamp - your Elicit-R (and maybe one of your NADs) has several inputs and a tape loop output. All your Audiolab preamp does is complicate everything while its input selection is something that the Elicit-R is already capable of anyway given it's a full-feature integrated amp.

Sep 27, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 16
Ok, yes.
But the tape out is occupied by the poweradd, a streaming convertor, he takes streams in from a pc or ipad, and feeds it to rhe preamp.
The aux is taken by the nad po2. The 1020 nad oreamp has no more inputs apart from the phono amp.
Or I put a splitter from the ear to the tape, and switching if tape is needed for the poweradd.
No, no good. I must have both at the same time.
Perhaps taking the audiolab for driving the Nads, and leave the 1020 apart ! As the elicit r does not need one.
Sad for the 1020.
Audiolab preamp has more inputs.
Too many sources he !

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 16
Ok, yes.
But the tape out is occupied by the poweradd, a streaming convertor, he takes streams in from a pc or ipad, and feeds it to rhe preamp.
The aux is taken by the nad po2. The 1020 nad oreamp has no more inputs apart from the phono amp.
Or I put a splitter from the ear to the tape, and switching if tape is needed for the poweradd.
No, no good. I must have both at the same time.
Perhaps taking the audiolab for driving the Nads, and leave the 1020 apart ! As the elicit r does not need one.
Sad for the 1020.
Audiolab preamp has more inputs.
Too many sources he !

OK I'm really just confused now - so on the tape output from the preamp there is a device that takes streams from a PC or iPad and then...feeds it back into the preamp?

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #11 of 16
Feeds it back into the preamp. Do not understand. I mean selecting tape button on the preamp outputs the stram to the amps, same way as the aux button generates vinyl to the amps.
Feedback to the preamp ! No idea. In general, the devices with no digital output, go in the preamp sockets, rca ... The rest are coaxial or optic.
Sorry if I do not understand you well. All sockets on the preamp are taken.
Please elaborate.

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Feeds it back into the preamp. Do not understand. 

I meant - based on your previous point - that I understood it to meanthat the streaming converter takes a tape output signal from the preamp then goes back into the preamp? I thought it converts a stream from a computer or iPhone?

Quote:

I mean selecting tape button on the preamp outputs the stram to the amps, same way as the aux button generates vinyl to the amps.

Not any clearer - so what do you have connected to the preamp's tape loop outputs? How do you control the volume to the amp?

Or you mean you use the tape button to select whether it sends a preamp signal to the amplifier or to send a tape loop signal to the streaming converter?

Quote:

Sorry if I do not understand you well. All sockets on the preamp are taken.
Please elaborate.

It might be better if we start off on your end first. Given there seems to be a language barrier, you can take a photo (not with your own cam, but from the internet) of the rear panel of the preamp, then take photos of all your other gear, and then edit them into a single diagram showing what goes into what or takes a signal from what port on the preamp.

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 16
As to attaching photos, I am not such a wizzard.
What I do find, is all rear photos on the internet images.
You need a rear photo of.
The 1020 nad preamp. The cables were still connected vertically in those days. Advantage, it has 2 preouts to drive the next.
The c326bee Nad integrated amp
The heavier c375bee amp.

The advance acoustic Dac mdx-600.

I am sure you find these pictures on internet.

Now, 2 sets of speakers are connected, selectable by a speaker switch.

Devices.
Cd goes to the dac, optical.
Dab radio, optical to the dac.
Tv youtube has also an optical out to the dac.

Non dac or digital devices.
Turntable, which has a phono amp nad po2 to the Aux on the preamp.
And an ipad feeding over bluetooth to the poweradd device which has only rca outputs, so they go to the tape play on the preamp.

As the dac needs to be connected to the dac to, this one before went to the tuner socket of the preamp. But now I lead the dac into the input of the Ear, and the link of the ear to the tuner socket of the preamp.
That means all "dac devices" are EARable by selecting tuner on the preamp. And by muting the EAR, I hear the speakers.

The "non-dac-devices" , being phonoamp and poweradd are not in the circuit of the Ear LINK. As the Link goes with the DAC on the EARs input.

So each device feeds its signal directly to the DAC or pramp. From there the preamp further feeds the signal to the amps.

The 1020 is an oldie but great NAD preamp, but has limited input sockets.

Sorry, I cannot explain it any better.

The only problem is how to join the non-dac devices in the Ears circuit.

Volume is only controllable on the preamp. He is master, the amps slaves.

To make it bit more complex, there is also a denon cassette,also needing the tape but. But I ordered a rca switch to switch between taperecorder and the powweradd both needing the tape out. I can lead the piweradd in the tuner socket, but then the Ear link has only the tape output to connect to. Same problem.

I am already quite satisfied, only my qobuz subscription from the internet plays alot over the poweradd. And of course my lps.
Many people say that my elucit r does not need a preamp.
So my audiolab preamp perhaps could be added to the architecture. I don't know.

Thanks for your understanding.

Sep 28, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

As to attaching photos, I am not such a wizzard.

You hit the icon above the text editing/Reply Box with a landscape icon on it (sun/moon and two mountain peaks) next to the reel (click to zoom)...

...then you hit the "upload" button...

...a pop-up explorer window will open, you look for where you saved the photo in your computer, then double-click on it. After that you just choose the display size and confirm.

Quote:

What I do find, is all rear photos on the internet images.
You need a rear photo of.
The 1020 nad preamp. The cables were still connected vertically in those days. Advantage, it has 2 preouts to drive the next.
The heavier c375bee amp.

It's not really each of the devices I need a photo of, but given there seems to be a language barrier as to what we call or describe each part, communication will otherwise be facilitated by a graphic diagram showing what is connected to each input and output. Here are a couple of examples that I did for other threads given a similar communication barrier:

Quote:

The heavier c375bee amp.

Now, 2 sets of speakers are connected, selectable by a speaker switch.

Devices.
Cd goes to the dac, optical.
Dab radio, optical to the dac.
Tv youtube has also an optical out to the dac.

Non dac or digital devices.
Turntable, which has a phono amp nad po2 to the Aux on the preamp.
And an ipad feeding over bluetooth to the poweradd device which has only rca outputs, so they go to the tape play on the preamp.

As the dac needs to be connected to the dac to, this one before went to the tuner socket of the preamp. But now I lead the dac into the input of the Ear, and the link of the ear to the tuner socket of the preamp.
That means all "dac devices" are EARable by selecting tuner on the preamp. And by muting the EAR, I hear the speakers.

The "non-dac-devices" , being phonoamp and poweradd are not in the circuit of the Ear LINK. As the Link goes with the DAC on the EARs input.

So each device feeds its signal directly to the DAC or pramp. From there the preamp further feeds the signal to the amps.

The 1020 is an oldie but great NAD preamp, but has limited input sockets.

Sorry, I cannot explain it any better.

The only problem is how to join the non-dac devices in the Ears circuit.

Volume is only controllable on the preamp. He is master, the amps slaves.

To make it bit more complex, there is also a denon cassette,also needing the tape but. But I ordered a rca switch to switch between taperecorder and the powweradd both needing the tape out. I can lead the piweradd in the tuner socket, but then the Ear link has only the tape output to connect to. Same problem.

I am already quite satisfied, only my qobuz subscription from the internet plays alot over the poweradd. And of course my lps.

Alright, as best I can tell from this, there really can be a lot of ways to simplify your entire set-up and maybe even integrate the Ear so that all source devices can play through it, however I really must apologize as still can't get a handle on how exactly this entire system is wired up. That I might be able to simplify it is just a guess based on how you have three integrated amplifiers, and now you have the 1020 pre but you started the thread with an Audiolab and an Elicit-R. Sorry but I really just end up with more questions on what it's like instead of getting a clearer picture, hence I asked for a system diagram, and for the preamp photo to be its rear so that I can see what goes where.

Quote:

Many people say that my elucit r does not need a preamp.

It doesn't, it already has one. A preamp and power amp are two separate components but the Elicit-R technically is an integrated amplifier. "Integrated" refers to it having both a preamplifier, and in this case a full-featured one with several inputs and outputs including a direct input to its amplifier stage and an output from its preamplifier stage, as opposed to many compact amplifiers nowadays whose preamp stage is one input and the core preamp circuit - ie, the volume control and associated components for controlling the output level.

The same is true for your C326BEE and C375BEE. A power amplifier that needs a separate preamp looks like this:

You might notice that unlike the Elicit-R, C325BEE, and C375BEE, that Pass Labs First Watt has no volume control in front, and only two sets of inputs at the back. Normally amps like this would only have one, but this has two as one of them is a Balanced XLR input. I don't even see a switch, it probably just automatically selects  whichever is getting a signal (I've seen many with just the RCA inputs).

Quote:

So my audiolab preamp perhaps could be added to the architecture. I don't know.

You have three integrated amplifiers with one preamp, and now you will add one more preamp. I think what you really need is an audio distribution circuit - look up companies in your area that set up distributed/multi-room audio. They have access to the necessary equipment, and better, you can just show them everything you have and they can make sure you can get to hear all of them through any other as you require, the only difference is you may not necessarily have anything hooked up that is in another room. Your system really just has too many things in it and for now I can't even get a good handle on how exactly it can be simplified, but you are already thinking of adding two more of a type that you already have that makes them redundant (the Audiolab and Rega Elicit-R); three/four if you add the Ear and the headphone.

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #15 of 16
If you really read carefully, I only mention the Nad system. No rega.
I explained the components. If the nad 1029 has 2 preouts, and I use them both to hang to nad amplifiers behind, is this too much.
My equipment stands on a woiden cabinet, photos will show you cables and cables...

I did my utter best to explain where every devices output cables go to. Even a child can follow.
Rega is another room, other story, nothing to do with what I described.
The Ear works in the Nad environment.
But if you cannot find a solution to integrate the non- digital, meaning dac devices into the Ear. Well that means you do not know.
Read the childish rega leaflets, taljing about connect to the output sockets on rhe main amp,...l which output socket. So stupid.

Photos won't help here. The preouts go to the main ins of the amps. That is all I can add.

Problem is the link of the Ear that only serves the dac devices, as the Ear Input is connected with the dac.

I might be dutch, but this is for me plainly explaining the in and outs.

If you think there is too much equipment, then you haven't seen architectures with monoblocs and other stuff.
I have peripherals, like a cd, turntable, cassette, pc, and I have a preamp with 2 amps and a dac.
That is it.

Up til now I did not receive any hint whatsoever on how to Lnk up the Aux (turntable) and tape (pc streaming) in the Ear.

That is final.
As ever I will find out myself one day.
And adding an audiolab was a childish idea perhaps to have more inputs, and use the audiolab is instead of the 1020.
I am just thinking here.
All I get is sort of criticisms about my config.
Nothing worthwhile, nor valuable.

This comes frim the rega handbookie.
Connect the two sockets input Ear to the preamplifier output sockets on the back of the main amplifier.
CLEAR.
The LINK are connected to the power amp unput sockets on the back of the main amplifier.

Wow... Go ahead eagles.
So, on the back of the main amp there should be preamp output sockets.

And so on...

Leave it.
I won!t find answers here.
But please read my scenarios well. It is not complicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back