Rega DAC + ? + Q701
Oct 26, 2013 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mattybongo

New Head-Fier
After being underwhelmed by my Grant Fidelity TubeDac's sound and performance (especially now that it's stopped working and needs repair), i'm wanting to replace it.

My source is generally a macbook and 16/44. I already have a Rega Brio Amp and Rega Jura Loudspeakers and given everything I've read about the Rega DAC, I believe it's a good choice for me and my taste: more musical and analog than super hifi and analytical.

I have AKG Q701s.

My question is primarily: what headphone amp would be a great choice in this combo?

Matrix M-Stage seems safe and reasonably priced.

Rega Ear is another option, similar price and keeps everything by the same name.

Would I gain that much by going higher end? (Rhinelander, Ray Samuels)

I'm not a super critical listening audiophile and wonder at what point I'd cease to tell the difference. But I can certainly say that I've not yet been able to get the sound I used to love from my Rega Planet 2000 CPD. I'm hoping the Rega DAC will do that.

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 2
i use Schiit Lyr with my AKG K-701, and like the combo. The bass tightens up, the soundstage gets a face lift of sweet defineness....But i must admit that even with this powerfull little amp, i stll find the headphone are missing some low frequencies response for rock music...works well with chamber music and great with acoustic guitar stuff though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back