Rega Brio R / Chord Mojo Dac / Q Acoustics 3020 - disappointing !
Dec 30, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #46 of 46
I think the speakers are the weak link in this chain. You are using $300 speakers with over 1k of upstream gear. Try to budget about 50% on speakers and 50% on source/amplification in a passive setup or 75% on speakers if it's an active (powered speaker) setup.

Honestly If it were me, as frustrating as it sounds, I'd sell or return whole system and snag that pair of 1k KEF LS50W's in graphite on reverb right now. You get digital mqa compatible streaming, an amp custom made for the speakers and the ability to declutter your listening space while improving the sound all at once.
Then should you find yourself wanting to upgrade, you could add a nice powered sub later down the line.
Tim, spot on recommendation, i tried this setup with Emit 10 stereo bookshelves (600$ a pair)..20/30% subjective improvement in all areas known to me (renovating the house or room in order to create sound reflection correct stage and imaging should NOT be part of any budget still )). Well the mojo gave up a bit after a while (battery issues making it last 30 minutes after full recharge).

So yes indeed, I scrap all that project and follow your advice now. Very true and clear split on how the budget should be allocated.

Lastly, only one smart-ass advice from my experience, yes ! Expensive cable upgrades are improving the sound slightly but never justify the money you paid for the amount of improvement you get (screwed up my 550€ Audioquest Yosemite cable, swapped it for one from Chinese store…yes, Yosemite sounds a tick better but that tick is definitely not worth 550€ as a cable in a €2-3000 setup).

LS50 here we go for 2022 !!

Thank you 🙏
Happy New Year to all !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back