Rega Apollo & Saturn Buyers Beware...
Aug 8, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #31 of 62
Gradofan2,
I think your statements are quite unfair and truly misrepresents the Rega Apollo and Saturn. For the record, I have owned 2 Regas an original Planet and an Apollo both of which I bought from Audiogon and I have not had any issues with either. I still have my Apollo. I have not heard from any reputable source that Rega will not stand behind their products.

What is so sad about this are the many on this forum that will believe these misrepresntations without first checking the facts.

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #32 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by stereoguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is what I think too Gradofan. They need to admit it and offer some real remedy. To Nmytree, no Rega has not offered any firmware updates, they continue to deny any major problems with Apollos and Saturns ("no more than their other products"), all they are doing is having people send for warranty service. while I have used their other products and there is no comparison. And by the way, mine was back for repair/replacement twice and the problems never went away. Another poster here had theirs back for repair too and it still did weird stuff too. Like Gradofan says it is a manufacturing defect probably in their new operating program.

If the problems you and other's have encountered are in fact Manufactor's Defects, then, it is limited to a very small percentage of players.

Like I said, contact Rega directly or contact their North American distributor.

Tell them you are having re-occuring problems/glithces/defects with your players and that you are fed up with your several attempts to have it repaired, beacuse the repairs are NOT getting the job done.

Ask for a replacement player. Jot down the seriel number of your player and make sure the one they send back to you is not the same player.

You have to understand this is very unusual and completely contridicts what myself and many others have experienced with Rega. While I personally have not had any problems with my players, the one person I do know in my circle of friends, who has a problem; had his problem addresed and repaired, immediately. As well, I have spoken to many Apollo and Saturn owners who have not had any problems at all. The few that have, were taken care of by Rega in a a very respectable and dilligent manner.

So it makes it difficult to wrap my head around this odd circumstance and out-of-character response from Rega.

There seems to be something else involved, here.

P.S. Gradofan2, you can yell, insult and tell me to shut up all you want. You're accomplishing nothing in the process. If you truely want a solution and you truely are being "screwed" by Rega, as you make it out to be.

Then, you should be on the phone with their distributor, contacting Rega by e-mail or even calling over to the UK to speak with Rega directly. I have friends in the UK, so I call their several times a year. It is inexpensive to call there. I have my most recent phone bill right in front of me. My last call to the UK cost me $3.40 for 45.3 minutes.

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #33 of 62
I would like to repeat that despite my minor annoyances, I absolutely love the Rega Apollo; it's the first CDP I can afford ánd enjoy ever since the medium was introduced 25 years ago (and I owned lots of CDPs) .

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #34 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to repeat that despite my minor annoyances, I absolutely love the Rega Apollo; it's the first CDP I can afford ánd enjoy ever since the medium was introduced 25 years ago (and I owned lots of CDPs) .

"Not responding to commands" was the annoyance you said you have with it. I liked the sound but for myself but not responding to commands, display freezing up, failure to initialize or access tracks was a more than a minor annoyance. Then you gotta unplug it. After awhile it will do ever more strange stuff, I cant even remember 'em all. About tired of the whole unplug thing.....that ones gettin' old. I can think of no other cd player ever that has had a dozen units or more at a time on audiogon. It does not take a genius to figure out the true reason.

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #35 of 62
I'll add my .02 cents to this.. As an owner of both an Apollo and Saturn, I can say that I have NEVER had any issues (i.e. skips, freezing, track misreads, etc...). Both units were purchased from an authorized dealer.

I agree with NMYTree that whatever amount of problems are being posted on audiogon, head-fi,etc... represent a small percentage of users having "issues". Also I see a commonality to this thread, most of the users purchased their units used and\or have NOT contacted Rega to rectify the problem.

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #36 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by stereoguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Not responding to commands" was the annoyance you said you have with it. I liked the sound but for myself but not responding to commands, display freezing up, failure to initialize or access tracks was a more than a minor annoyance. Then you gotta unplug it. After awhile it will do ever more strange stuff, I cant even remember 'em all. About tired of the whole unplug thing.....that ones gettin' old. I can think of no other cd player ever that has had a dozen units or more at a time on audiogon. It does not take a genius to figure out the true reason.

I also said less then once a month and that simply switching the unit off (using the powerbutton, no need to unplug) then back on again is enough, done in 3 seconds; it occurs seldon and the cure is easy in my case and I love the way it sounds.
So for the thirth time: this is really not a big problem to me.

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #37 of 62
To posters above, I had new units from authorized dealer, but sold used. Someone else here sold theirs used too (we both offered warranty to buyer). I wonder if not leaving on all the time would help things? Anyway I said unplug (as opposed to turn off) because that is the fix Rega always suggested. It is however temporary. The "glitches" will return. If your unit is "glitching" now, it will continue to do so and get worse with time. Then it'll be unplug/turn off every 2 weeks etc. It gets old. Anyway, happy listening.

Aug 13, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #38 of 62
I bought a new Rega Apollo a couple of weeks ago and it's worked properly until today.

I recieived a new CD in the mail today and was excited about hearing it but when I tried to play it I got the "Disc Empty" error, after several seconds of the player struggling to read it. Several more tries produced the same problem. I took the CD to a cheap player in my bedroom and it played. I then took it to my car player and it played, so there's nothing wrong with the disc.

My previous player was a Rega Planet 2000. I had disc read and skipping issues with and had to take it back to the dealer to get it replaced.

So 2 out of 2 Rega CD players have caused me grief. Too bad, 'cause they sound great, but I don't think I would ever buy another one.

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #39 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a new Rega Apollo a couple of weeks ago and it's worked properly until today.

I recieived a new CD in the mail today and was excited about hearing it but when I tried to play it I got the "Disc Empty" error, after several seconds of the player struggling to read it. Several more tries produced the same problem. I took the CD to a cheap player in my bedroom and it played. I then took it to my car player and it played, so there's nothing wrong with the disc.

My previous player was a Rega Planet 2000. I had disc read and skipping issues with and had to take it back to the dealer to get it replaced.

So 2 out of 2 Rega CD players have caused me grief. Too bad, 'cause they sound great, but I don't think I would ever buy another one.

I used a Rega Jupiter for a few years and it worked perfect. Not one single malfunction (the clamping hub would sometomes rattle with certain discs that were off center, but that was no real bother). The Apollo machines had the malfunction you mention along with several other problems. i.e. not initializing all the tracks on a perfect condition standard cd, not initializing a standard cd at all, pushing play and having it go to the 2nd or third track instead of the first, display freezes while playing a disc (it could be playing track 4 but display will be frozen on a previous track- for example track 2 and time it stuck on is what display reads, audio drop outs, pushing 7 on remote and it goes to track 11 instead (pick a scenario). leaving the first second out of whatever track it starts to play, Pushing stop button several times on machine and disc keeps playing, only way to stop machine is to turn power off. Many users have had all or different combinations of these problems with Regas new disc reading system.

Aug 27, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #40 of 62
I took my Rega Apollo with it's many disc read/tracking issues back to the dealer. He said that when he talked to Rega about it they weren't aware of any of these issues with the Apollo.

A bit of research reveals that this is not an isolated problem. This indicates that Rega either doesn't know what their customers are experiencing (bad) or they choose to ignore the problem (even worse).

So I got a brand new replacement Apollo today and it has exactly the same issues with exactly the same discs. Some it refuses to read at all and gives a "disc empty" message. With others it will just stop playing part way through a particular track. ALL of these discs play fine on other players, costing a lot less. Majorly frustrating...

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #41 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took my Rega Apollo with it's many disc read/tracking issues back to the dealer. He said that when he talked to Rega about it they weren't aware of any of these issues with the Apollo....

Which is exactly the point I was making in this thread. It's quite possible Rega does not know about all these recent issues and that you guys are much better off contacting Rega or insisting your dealers/distributors contact Rega.

Hanging around on the internet slamming Rega, hurling insults at others and generally griping about it; accomplishes nothing.

Open up a line of communication with Rega and make sure they know about it. Also let them know exactly whats discs/albums and tracks the Rega player is malfunctioning with.

I find it strange that yet another player is having problems reading exactly the same discs as the previous player.

Makes me wonder what the deal is with those particular discs.

Maybe they were produced or encoded in some manner that the Rega players operating system doesn't recognise or that screws up their reading capabilities?

Maybe it could be corrected with a firmware update, if that's the case.

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #42 of 62
wow... i was googl'n rega apollo and found this thread. i am glad i did. i was getting close to buying one. but.....
after the disappointment with my marantz 8260 (audiogon purchase) i have been content with my oppo for quite awhile and just now have gotten warmed to the idea of a rega (stereophile recommended).
but marantz would not fix the 8260 and i sure dont want another marantz or dog rega.
i wont buy any marantz now.
a faulty product is a faulty product no matter who owns it at year one or two or three if it has been used normally.
yomv

thanks for the good exchanges
paul in florida

popcorn.gif

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #43 of 62
I had an Apollo, then sold it for a new Saturn - kept the Saturn for two years and never had any problem at all.

BTW the laser is only under warranty for two years - the rest is three years - to the original owner. Since the laser is the most likely part to give problems, the effective warranty is two years to the original owner.

Oct 8, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #44 of 62
well after some trepitation.... a have ordered a new silver apollo from a local vendor recommended by the usa distribitor in texas.
i had called the usa distrib in texas and asked some pointed questions. the gentelman i guess had heard them before because his answers were smooth .

he said those past issues had been resolved and that anyway the incidence of those initial problems were at a normal low level for the industry.
he then said that the reliability of the unit now was excellent.
then finally he said nothing is perfect in this world and that if i were to recieve a faulty unit it would be warrented.

so i took the plunge.
later for now.
paul

ps drarth.... thanks for the note.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back