Rega Apollo & Saturn Buyers Beware...
May 7, 2008 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Gradofan2

Headphoneus Supremus
Just a quick warning to those who might be thinking about buying a "used / pre-owned" Rega Apollo or Saturn CDP.

As you've no doubt read on Audiogon, or Audio Asylum, or here... the Apollo and Saturn CDPs have a high failure rate regarding "read errors."

I thought I might try one (buy a used one at a good price)... so... I checked with Rega to see if they would honor their warranty, if I happened to buy one with the "read error" issues.

Rega made it "perfectly clear" - absolutely not! They said they would not honor their 3 year warranty, unless the owner was the original buyer from an authorized dealer. Note: This is not unusual - most mfrs likely limit their warranty to the original buyer from an authorized dealer - whether they actually enforce this policy varies from mfr to mfr. However, what is noteworthy, in this instance... is... that the Apollo and Saturn have reportedly, unusually high failure rates for "read errors" (see discussions on Audiogon, Audio Asylum, and Headfi forums).

So anyone who would consider buying a "used / pre-owned" unit - should be prepared to accept the "risk" that they may get one with "read errors," or they should make sure the seller is willing to "extend the warranty" to them by facilitating the return of the unit in the original buyer's name to the authorized retailer for any repairs. This is a good practice, no matter what used item you're buying - not just for the Apollo and Saturn.

At the inflated prices of these units... and... their reported failure rates re: read errors, I won't be trying one - unless the seller "warrants" the unit for the balance of the 3 year warranty.

As always... "caveat emptor."

May 7, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As always... "caveat emptor."

HEY, that's my line! Lol...

Agreed...

May 7, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 62
Well, it's too late for me as a Saturn owner, but I confess that even after following (briefly) these threads on AA and Au, I wasn't sure if these problems were a) actual and covered all units sold; b) related to a specific production run or c) phantasms in the collective, Borg-like minds of that reviewer guy (Schroeder?) and his able minions whose handles I forget.

Rega's warranty isn't transferable. Fair enough. My sense is, however, having owned several Rega products bought new and used, that their customer service is excellent, and it's unlikely that you'd be left high and dry with your Apollo/Saturn. It would be nice, if these are in fact well-documented problems, for your seller to send in any warranty repair in her/his name to back you up. Having said that, getting after-sales service from whoozit on Audiogon may be tricky. So, yeah, in that case buyer beware indeed.

o

May 7, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 62
But... It would be better if Rega would "just fess up" and admit they have some problems with the Saturn and Apollo CDPs and that they'll back them with the warranty, regardless.

They'd generate a lot more respect and loyalty... if they did... than pretending that there is "no problem" and abiding by their policy that the warranty is not available to subsequent buyers. Not only would the subequent buyers appreciate it, but so would the orignal buyers who seek to sell their units.

While Rega might not leave an owner "high and dry" with such problems... on the other hand... there is the potential that they might - particularly, since they've said they will. They accomplish absolutely nothing by denying the widely known issues with the Saturn and Apollo, and refusing to cover the units with their warranty. Its incredibly ignorant marketing that can only harm the resales of these units, and harm Rega long term.

May 8, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it's too late for me as a Saturn owner, but I confess that even after following (briefly) these threads on AA and Au, I wasn't sure if these problems were a) actual and covered all units sold; b) related to a specific production run or c) phantasms in the collective, Borg-like minds of that reviewer guy (Schroeder?) and his able minions whose handles I forget.

Rega's warranty isn't transferable. Fair enough. My sense is, however, having owned several Rega products bought new and used, that their customer service is excellent, and it's unlikely that you'd be left high and dry with your Apollo/Saturn. It would be nice, if these are in fact well-documented problems, for your seller to send in any warranty repair in her/his name to back you up. Having said that, getting after-sales service from whoozit on Audiogon may be tricky. So, yeah, in that case buyer beware indeed.

o

I did it before.. The buyer thought there was a imbalance problem with the VHP1 that I sold him. (I knew there wasn't, but what do I tell him. You are just hearing things?) So I had him ship me the amp & I shipped it to Dusty to check it out, & sent the buyer the email that Dusty sent me. It's not just good business tactics, but also a good way to avoid negative feedback, then having members of Audiogon decide who was at fault.
icon10.gif

May 8, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But... It would be better if Rega would "just fess up" and admit they have some problems with the Saturn and Apollo CDPs and that they'll back them with the warranty, regardless.

They'd generate a lot more respect and loyalty... if they did... than pretending that there is "no problem" and abiding by their policy that the warranty is not available to subsequent buyers. Not only would the subequent buyers appreciate it, but so would the orignal buyers who seek to sell their units.

While Rega might not leave an owner "high and dry" with such problems... on the other hand... there is the potential that they might - particularly, since they've said they will. They accomplish absolutely nothing by denying the widely known issues with the Saturn and Apollo, and refusing to cover the units with their warranty. Its incredibly ignorant marketing that can only harm the resales of these units, and harm Rega long term.

Fair enough. As a Saturn owner, I've got a fair bit invested in Rega's CS and I too think that if there is some basic design or manufacture glitch with these players they should own up to it, and then fix it, quickly and for free.

Still, when I was last following the AA/Au threads, which was admittedly some time ago, I found it hard to decide whether the problems reported were in fact as wide-ranging and serious as the OPs seemed determined to show or whether they were part of a defective batch or something else. "Widely-known" does not equal "widely-occurring," and I've always thought of Rega as both a very capable engineering firm and one with excellent CS. But if these players are now being written off as problem-prone, then yeah, Rega and their distributors should get on their horse(s) but quick.

o

May 8, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #8 of 62
As a Saturn owner the only 'read problems' I have experienced or read about are when CDR copies are burned at > 8 times speed, which is mentioned in the manual. There are occasional other issues with the Operating System when left on for weeks at a time (memory leak?) but cycling the power once gets rid any occasional glitches that may occur.

Ive always assumed that there is probably a Firmware update to fix the OS problem, but since I dont have collections of CDRs burned at high speed, any remote glitches have never been bad enough for me to be without the wonderful sounding player long enough to get them fixed (under warranty).

It sux they dont transfer warranty tho.

May 8, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #9 of 62
I agree with the feelings some of you have regarding Rega not "owning up" to admitting they had faults.

I had an Apollo, liked the sound a lot, but the OMZ DAC was better for me. Sold mine locally, knowing that there could be warranty issues. As it turned out, ~6 months after sale, it started having read problems. Worse and worse it became, until it couldn't read anything.

I met the buyer, and took the machine back for warranty service myself. Was happy to do that.

One FURTHER important note: even for the original buyer, the warranty on thre laser is only 1 year, not 3. This per the dealer, I didn't validate this with Rega. That said, my problem apparently wasn't the laser.

So, yes, caveat emptor indeed. And a little bit of shame on Rega.

May 8, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 62
Well. I had a problem with the display (Apollo) doing odd things when running program. e-mailed Chad, who said that he would send a unit to the dealer. Took a while to get it, but Chad did let me know when he got it. He said the dealer would contact me about getting it installed. Haven't heard from the dealer. It's quite a ways out of my way, and I could live with the display.

About a week ago, it started doing a repeat skip on pristine discs (not a scratch or smudge). The last couple of days, it just halts. I've had it about 6 months. Rega extolls their super secret programming. Not. I shoudda got the 840C.
biggrin.gif

Guess I have to make the trip. Wish I could just get my $$$ back and get the 840C. This is not a good unit.

May 8, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 62
I just got my Apollo back from the dealer today after experiencing some tracking issues. It worked fine for the brief 7 weeks that I owned it, then it started doing weird things like skipping and not reading mint condition cd's. So far I've listened to 3 different cd's with no problems but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

May 8, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 62
Sounds like some hardware defect (drive mech/laser?). The non-transferable warranty is understandable, but it's sad to see Rega not step up and do more.

Not the best sounding gear for the money, either, IMO.

May 11, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #13 of 62
I've got over 1500 hours on my Apollo (by my best estimate). Purchased used through A'gon, and the previous owner claimed to have about 200 hours on it - and have only ever had one CD give me trouble, repeatedly... So I'd agree, buyer beware, but there's likely quite a few happy and trouble-free players sounding splendid out there.

May 12, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #14 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with the feelings some of you have regarding Rega not "owning up" to admitting they had faults.

I had an Apollo, liked the sound a lot, but the OMZ DAC was better for me. Sold mine locally, knowing that there could be warranty issues. As it turned out, ~6 months after sale, it started having read problems. Worse and worse it became, until it couldn't read anything.

I met the buyer, and took the machine back for warranty service myself. Was happy to do that.

One FURTHER important note: even for the original buyer, the warranty on thre laser is only 1 year, not 3. This per the dealer, I didn't validate this with Rega. That said, my problem apparently wasn't the laser.

So, yes, caveat emptor indeed. And a little bit of shame on Rega.

After all... that is the point... Rega should "step up" and "make it right," for any owner of an Apollo, or Saturn... or... any Rega!

The fact that they won't is the REAL ISSUE!

These CDPs may sound as good as any made... but... if they aren't reliable... and... Rega won't "back them"... you're just "rolling the dice"... if... you're not the original buyer/owner. Their failure to act responsibly... and... accept responsibility... is a disservice to not only unsuspecting second buyers... but, also... the original owners who do not want to lose value in their unit upon resale.

"Now... let's all go make some signs and picket their offices!"

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #15 of 62
Something to consider, right now there are more used Apollos (about a dozen) on audiogon than Planets. Several Saturns also fror sale. One would think it would be the other way around, that the older Regas would be for sale instead of the new Regas. If these new machines are so great why are so many selling them? Simple answer is they have problems. I agree Rega should fess up but continue to deny any isssues at all with these players. I would not expect warranty to be transferrable. Rega US distributer and service is responsive but ultimately unable to resolve the issues. Just know this before buying a used unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back