REGA APOLLO (DOA)
Apr 13, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #31 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
The Apollo I auditioned was broken in by the dealer before I got it and I didn't care for it either. It did some things very well. It had a nice analog flavor to the sound and the highs were quite nice--detailed without being harsh.

However, the player does lack bass and punch. I guess you could say it's just too smooth with certain types of music. It's great for vocals, acoustic and classical music, but it just doesn't rock. For most of my listening, I actually liked my NAD better and it was only 1/2 the money.

I tried several different interconnects with the player as well. Of all of those, the Chord Silver Sirens seemed by far to have the best synergy. If you can find a dealer that has them, you might want to see if you can arrange an audition. They really do bring out the best in the Apollo.

I distrust a component that is smooth - covers up signal path defects but also covers up valid data.

I want smoothness with a good CD but roughness with a CD that is rough.

Give me high resolution to bring out timbral nuances, inner detail in congested musical passages without blurring of tones, and full dynamic impact. Then I will choose the well recorded CDs to avoid harshness.

Apr 13, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #32 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM324
See the Stereotimes April 2006 review of the Apollo here: http://www.stereotimes.com/

I've been looking for reviews to read about the Apollo while awaiting its second coming. I didn’t find this one during my searching so thank you for bringing it to my attention. Its reassuring to know that the Apollo received such very high praise from Paul.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
I distrust a component that is smooth - covers up signal path defects but also covers up valid data.

I assume you are speaking in mere generalities since you tend to communicate in absolutes.

As a nice contrast, the smoothest player I've heard to date was the Meridian G08 and it provided the most detail and texture I've every heard out of any digital source and almost, if not, excelled past my Scout Turntable (TT) in certain respects, but then again my TT may need some fine turning to achieve its maximum potential. (analogue
icon10.gif
)

Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
I want smoothness with a good CD but roughness with a CD that is rough.

I can’t say that I’ve ever heard live music that sounded rough to my ears, but I’ve heard digital sources that were overly harsh (bright, thin, piercing, etc) some more than other and more apparent in certain passages. And yes it is not inconceivable that the recordings/remasterings can either emphasize or diminishe these unfavorable attributes as well. It's all a part of the mix so to speak.

Apr 16, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #33 of 105
(Crossposted on another Apollo discussion)

What difference does a good breakin do for the Apollo?
I spent a day listening to one yesterday, but it only had a days use on it out of the box. My impressions were that had a fantastic midrange but the bass was slightly recessed and wallowing, and the highs were not detailed and nothing special. Overall my old Rotel 991AE bested it. But my fears are that the Apollo needed a good 200 hours on it before its true character became apparent.

Apr 16, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #34 of 105
Yes! The Apollo does need a good long break-in. And yes, it does rock on greatly with rock music. I woulden't have it if it diden't. Bass is good too. Tell me only after you put a good 400 hours on the unit that it isn't great.
tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2006 at 12:02 PM Post #35 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
And yes, it does rock on greatly with rock music.

I certainly hope it does rock well.

On Monday, I'll know the status of my warranty Apollo replacement.
icon10.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:15 PM Post #36 of 105
I received my Music Hall CD25.2 on Friday, and I am glad to have this fine player back. The Rega Apollo is no match for the CD25.2--especially in bass and dynamics. The Apollo even sounded harsh in comparison to the CD25.2. I cannot believe that the Apollo is the player with all the hype and the $995 price tag, and the CD25.2 is a humble, well-built "quiet type" with a $600 price tag.

Apr 17, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #37 of 105
Yes, the Music Hall CD25 does all that in a very manerly fashion. So much so that it's better than Ambien. I think I was caught pictured on a thread here, but if not, you can ask attendees of the Fall Ohio meet thread. Every time I went to the Music Hall CD25, I fell asleep within a half a song.
icon10.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #39 of 105
Here are some positive Apollo reviews:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...40&postcount=1

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/dig...es/113988.html

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2006/rega_apollo.shtml

http://www.stereotimes.com

The US distributor just called me and gave me an option silver finish can be shipped today or I can wait an additional 2 to 3 weeks for the black finish, which is my prefer color choice. I first said silver then I paused and said I suppose two or three weeks won't kill me. So black it is unless I can't wait, break-down and call him back for an in-stock silver. Did I make the right decision to wait it out? I am hopeful that waiting will reduce my likelihood of getting one of those reported quirky units.

Apr 17, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #40 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
Yes, the Music Hall CD25 does all that in a very manerly fashion. So much so that it's better than Ambien. I think I was caught pictured on a thread here, but if not, you can ask attendees of the Fall Ohio meet thread. Every time I went to the Music Hall CD25, I fell asleep within a half a song.
icon10.gif
tongue.gif

Thats a sure sign the player was doing its job .... no edge, grain or glare to artificially attract your attention. Thats how I know I have my system humming. I become totally relaxed and lost in the music. As long as I am not tired I listen for hours. But you are right, if I am tired ... its light out.

Apr 17, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #41 of 105
Indeed, the Music Hall is so good that it may certainly relax the listener. I have always found that better components have this type of effect. Colored, edgy, unrefined sound, like that of the Apollo, always creates tension, and thus has a nerve-racking effect.

Apr 18, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #43 of 105
The trouble was, I wasen't sleepy. I was boared to death by dull sound.
icon10.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #44 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtortorella
Indeed, the Music Hall is so good that it may certainly relax the listener. I have always found that better components have this type of effect. Colored, edgy, unrefined sound, like that of the Apollo, always creates tension, and thus has a nerve-racking effect.

I heard the Apollo in some nice rigs and never found it to be edgy or unrefined. In fact, I found it to be pretty refined and engaging considering the price. I haven't heard a Music Hall since my Modwright modded cd-25, which I enjoyed. Hopefully, there will be a 25.2 at the meet this weekend. At least you found something you like, which is more important than whether we all agree on a piece of gear.
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #45 of 105
I use a Planet 2000 in one of my systems and I was considering an Apollo as an upgrade because of the many positive reviews I've been reading.

Last weekend I went to the dealers for a listen. The Apollo has been there for a few weeks and has been played a lot. My overall reaction was that it is the same basic sound as the Planet 2000 but with some differences...

Apollo has more treble, and the treble is slightly smoother. Detail is easier to hear because of the tipped up balance but I did not really hear much improvement in resolution. The Planet 2000 is slightly richer and has better tonal color, the Apollo sounding slightly "digital" in comparison.

The bass on the Planet 2000 is rich but not badly defined and has good power. The Apollo has lighter bass and I expected a more defined quality but did not hear much if any improvement over the Planet 2000. The lightness of the Apollo made it hard for me to follow the bass line all through a song the way I can on the Planet 2000.

I think the Apollo is a very good CD player, but not the giant killer I've been reading about. The man who is my audio dealer has known me for years and he assured me that the Apollo was well broken in and on song.

I don't think you will be dissapointed with the Apollo but I might suggest that a used Planet 2000 at half the price is very similar in performance. In some ways better and in some ways worse. The big selling point in the new player is the added treble detail.

Jaygee
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back