REGA APOLLO (DOA)
Apr 28, 2006 at 4:39 AM Post #76 of 105
very_evil_smiley.gif
PICS X3
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #77 of 105
OK! I will post a link to PhotoBucket tonight as the picture is loaded on my PC at home. I do not think a naykid photo is permitted here anymore.
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #78 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
OK! I will post a link to PhotoBucket tonight as the picture is loaded on my PC at home. I do not think a naykid photo is permitted here anymore.
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Thanks.
icon10.gif
cool.gif

Naykid photos were permitted?
blink.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #79 of 105
As promised.
P1000801.jpg

Actually, this is one big nice sized board, very well populated. You look inside some CDP's and find a very tiny unpopulated board, in a very thin walled flimsy case. The Apollo's case is thick cast Alum., and built like a tank.

Apr 29, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #82 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
I have no idea if that is what you'd expect to see in a product in this price point. Is that good, bad, average?

The answer is "yes".
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #85 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
I'm asking if the quality and quantity of what is under the hood of the Apollo is what you'd expect at the $1,000 price point.

Compare the Apollo to the $850 Eastsound E5 Signature pics borrowed from philodox. The Apollo's power supply looks pretty mediocre in comparison. Maybe thats whats responsible for the Apollo's lightweight bass comments?
confused.gif

There is definitely less quantity in the Apollo. But as long as the Apollo operates reliably, in the end, the sound quality is what counts. Higher parts quantity and quality dont always equal the best sound .... even though I have to admit better spec'd parts rarely hurt the sound quality.

13 - power2.JPG

Filtering maybe?

14 - torroid.JPG

The torroidal transformer seems thicker than the one in my original Eastsound. Measured at 3.5 inch in circumferance and 4.5 inches thick.

15 - power.JPG

Looks like we got some new caps. Elna cerafines in the digital psu, Rubycons and a purple Nichichon [sp?] in the analog psu... there is also a cute baby blue Panasonic next to the Nichichon and a host of the red/green/yellow box-type capacitors.

16 - transport.JPG

I think this is the same transport. It opens a lot smoother and slower than my original unit... though I think that has been commented on by others who have purchased new Eastsounds.

17 - signal.JPG

Not much changed here that I can see, though the wiring from the signal board to the input/output jacks looks different.

18 - signal2.JPG

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #86 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Compare the Apollo to the $850 Eastsound E5 Signature pics borrowed from philodox. The Apollo's power supply looks pretty mediocre in comparison. Maybe thats whats responsible for the Apollo's lightweight bass comments?
confused.gif

There is definitely less quantity in the Apollo. But as long as the Apollo operates reliably, in the end, the sound quality is what counts. Higher parts quantity and quality dont always equal the best sound .... even though I have to admit better spec'd parts rarely hurt the sound quality.

You and Mikey should compare the Apollo and the E5 Sig.
wink.gif

P1000801.jpg

Apr 30, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #87 of 105
Although I've read reviews on the regular E5 against the Apollo I'd love for someone to do a shootout using the SE.
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #89 of 105
If you read between the lines you would have your answer. It looks inside as being "less than I wanted but more than I expected". As SACDlover pointed out, the power supply is a little stingy. However there is no denying the Apollo's sound quality is much better than the E5 as good as it was. So far to date, this is the best Redbook player I have ever heard. The breakin is now complete and I feel the bass is fully adiquate. How ever I may go ahead and do my power supply mod anyway. I am going to double the output capacatence with dual 4700uf Nick's in place of whats there.

Looking into this player and getting depressed, I am not. I was trying to be polite and not raise a fus in using any brand names, but to make a point I will When I looked into a stock MH CD-25, I saw a very dinky system board and all was planted on a thin wall, twistable, sheet metal houseing. That definetly turned me off. Another way to look at it is: If the cd-25 is considered a jewel with it's mediocre parts quality, houseing and count, then based on that the Apollo is the winner. However you cannot do that. Irregardless of parts cound, power supply size, ect, the ultimate test is in the sound. The Apollo is the best Redbook player I have heard to date.
icon10.gif

Oh! And don't forget, you can usually mod anything.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #90 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
The Apollo is the best Redbook player I have heard to date.
icon10.gif

Do you mean best Redbook player I have heard unmodified? Or is the Apollo better at Redbooks than your modified Denon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back