Refurb Macbooks - Any good?
Sep 9, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont really get why you would want a mac if you dont want OSX.

I second the lenovo option. They make great laptops in your price range

The Mac Pros are ridiculously overpriced so if you're not using OSX than you're better off with a pc but for notebooks, the Unibody MBP's build quality is not comparable to any pc laptop I know of (I hate black boxes so the aluminum business laptops are out and I hate plastic which most consumer laptops are contructed out of). Certainly nothing under $1500. I'd buy the 13" Aluminum Refurb and dual boot 7 and OSX but I just bought a new HP last winter; replacement warranty so I'm stuck with it for 3 years.
frown.gif
The glass overlay compared to the Apple's overlay sucks btw, google dust and Infinity display.

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:17 PM Post #18 of 26
Well, I would respectfully disagree. Lenovos (even if you dislike their looks) have great build quality.

Ex.
T61_14wRollcage_01_540x497.jpg

Also, it is kind of ironic that I'm typing the post on a mac

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #20 of 26
I'm kind of dissappointed that no one really offers a 12" with decent firepower.....

I wouldn't mind being able to run CAD stuff on my laptop smoothly. Admitedly I'm in the minority who might use a 12" for something like that once in a while, but still.....

The dell XPS studio 13 is pretty well specced, but pretty pricey as well...

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I would respectfully disagree. Lenovos (even if you dislike their looks) have great build quality.

Ex.

Also, it is kind of ironic that I'm typing the post on a mac

Well I guess build quality wasn't really the right word. A lot of pc laptops use well built steel/aluminum or magnesium frames but very few have well built exterior panels. I hate plastic and the inherent cheapness of feel.

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #23 of 26
The 13" unibody is a great design, it looks and feels really solid. Refurb is definitely the way to go, the warranty is exactly the same, and it's tested to work. The only downside is that it shows up in an unceremonious brown box.

Really the only reason to buy a new mac is when the newest model is a significant jump in features and/or performance over the old one.

Windows 7 64bit runs superbly on my macbook pro, so you won't have any issues there.

Sep 11, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #24 of 26
Hey,

I own an Apple refurbished 17'' Macbook Pro. Have had it for 14 months, no problems. I put AppleCare on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back