Refurb Macbooks - Any good?
Sep 8, 2009 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

nsx_23

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for a new laptop atm (around $1200AUD - $1500AUD), and a refurbished 13" unibody Macbook was an interesting option.

My main concern is - Are refurbished Macbooks reliable? I'm worried about stuff like the battery and hard drive being unreliable....

Also, what other laptops could I be looking at?

My main requirements are:

- 64-bit processor (Rules out netbooks)

- Must be able to run Windows 7 with ALL drivers working correctly (Research online so far suggests dual booting OSX with W7 should be fine, but I don't "need" OSX per se)

- Reliability - My current Asus has a habit of crashing out, and I am not going to put up with anything that needs constant fixing.

- Battery life - Minimum of 3 hours with wifi ON and the screen at a decent brightness setting

- Lightweight - Its a laptop, not a brick. I expect to be able to cart around my laptop without feeling like I have an elephant on my shoulders.

So, with all these in mind, what are some options that I could look at?

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 26
by all accounts refurb macbooks are as reliable as a new one. Personally I don't like the keyboard, but theyre' solid enough machines, if a little pricey, if you're not needing OS X.

Sep 8, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 26
Well, my other main concern would be if I purchase in Hong Kong, would Apple cover me for anything that goes wrong whilst I'm in Australia?

The crux of the problem here is that I don't NEED or particularly WANT a mac, but I'm struggling to find something comparable for the same price as a refurb mac in the 12-13" segment.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 26
What about an IBM (Lenovo)..? the T61 is a pretty nice laptop as are the X series.. lenovo has a pretty big refurb program too.

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 26
The refurb should be better, being run through another string of tests to check for reliability. If you buy a new laptop there could be a chance it is defective, whereas the refurb is retested to work

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 26
Refurb Macs are an excellent buy. I purchased one last year and it has been reliable. Came in a different type of box, but looked new and has performed beautifully.

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #9 of 26
Refurbished laptops are definitely a great deal - every one hand tested unlike new units which test 1 in a thousand. Pretty good price differences too. Make sure you still get warranty, that's just smart.
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #12 of 26
^Really? The Lenovos here in Australia that are 13" start at over 2K whereas the refurb 13" unibody macbook is like $1200.....

I dont' particualrly need OSX, but I'm more than happy to have it as a bonus (I've been using a Hackintosh for a while, so I do know my way around macs
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I forgot to mention I'm not looking at anything bigger than 13".

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #15 of 26
My brother bought a white, refurb'ed Macbook for Christmas back in December of 2008. It has never given him any trouble in terms of speed or reliability, and still looks / feels new to this day. I would've sprung for a refurbished aluminum Macbook myself when I purchased one this November, but Apple wasn't offering them yet.

A note on OSX: Even if you don't think you'll need it, I'd play around with this native OS before giving up on it for Windows 7. I really do find OSX more efficient, logical, and better designed than even the best OS Microsoft has to offer - but, of course, to each his own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back