Reformatting a Mac
May 9, 2009 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

wonderwall

100+ Head-Fier
As I mentioned in my other thread, I'm in the market for a new laptop. I always planned on giving my current one, a 13" MacBook, to my mom at that time since she's eager to learn how to use a computer and surf the web researching things. But Mother's Day is tomorrow, I do have a PC which is my main computer, and it's not like I have a job or school yet that that requires me to have a laptop (will soon though). So I think I'm going to clean it up inside and out and give it to her wrapped in a ribbon tomorrow.

I just need to know how to reformat it. I vaguely remember how to do this on a PC but with a Mac, I am clueless. It is rather a necessity I do it though, as there is stuff I don't want my mom to see and I'm sure she would rather not see as well. :p Everyone is entitled to have a personal life and keep it personal, so I'd like to keep mine and offer my mom her own personal digital space, without little tokens of previous ownership.

So if anyone knows, please let me know before tomorrow. ^^;

May 9, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderwall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'...' So I think I'm going to clean it up inside and out and give it to her wrapped in a ribbon tomorrow.

I just need to know how to reformat it. '...'

there are good file shredders (with military-grade overwrite options) for destroying files-folders, and actually this is better option than HDD format (if you are serious about security), because it's very easy (with specialized soft) to recover any files after format or reformat... sure you can first shred files quickly (with pseudorandom data) and then format-reformat HDD
But as your mom is not hi-tech guru or spy, then there are links for you
YouTube - Reformatting a Hard Drive with Mac OS X 10.5
Troubleshooting Hard Drives: Reformatting
Formatting & Partitioning a Hard Drive in OS X
How do I reformat/reset mac harddrive? - Yahoo! Answers
reformat mac hard drive - Mac Support
reformatting mac hard drive for HFSJ or HFS+ - Mac Forums
The Essential Mac - Troubleshooting

May 9, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 10
There's really not much to it. Just load the original OS X installation disc and restart the computer while holding down the C key to boot from the installation disc. When it boots up, use the Utilities menu to open Disk Utility. From there, select the internal hard drive from the list along the left side of the window (be sure to select the whole drive, rather than a volume on it--volumes will be indented with names like "Macintosh HD"). Click the Erase tab, then make sure to click the Options button. From the available options, be sure to select Zero Out Data, enter a new name for the volume OS X will be installed on, and choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the disk format. Depending on the size of the hard drive, this could take from about 20 minutes to an hour. When it's all done, quit Disk Utility to return to the installer and proceed with a new installation of OS X.

May 9, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 10
With the Finder dropdown (next to the Apple on the toolbar) there is an Empty Trash and underneath it a "Secure Empty Trash" on Mac OS X Tiger anyways. I would recommend doing a "Secure Empty Trash" on the stuff you definitely don't want here to see and then do what the others above are recommending.

Option #2 is buying a new hard drive, installing it in the MacBook and keeping the old hard drive with all your stuff on it. That way for sure she won't see anything.

May 9, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend doing a "Secure Empty Trash" on the stuff you definitely don't want here to see and then do what the others above are recommending.

There isn't anything wrong about using Secure Empty Trash, but there's no need to do that if the drive will be formatted and zeroed by Disk Utility.

May 10, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dharma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there are good file shredders (with military-grade overwrite options) for destroying files-folders, and actually this is better option than HDD format (if you are serious about security), because it's very easy (with specialized soft) to recover any files after format or reformat... sure you can first shred files quickly (with pseudorandom data) and then format-reformat HDD
But as your mom is not hi-tech guru or spy, then there are links for you
YouTube - Reformatting a Hard Drive with Mac OS X 10.5
Troubleshooting Hard Drives: Reformatting
Formatting & Partitioning a Hard Drive in OS X
How do I reformat/reset mac harddrive? - Yahoo! Answers
reformat mac hard drive - Mac Support
reformatting mac hard drive for HFSJ or HFS+ - Mac Forums
The Essential Mac - Troubleshooting

O_O I just don't want her stumbling on any ****. It's nothing illegal or supremely confidential. But she is my mom, so that would be hella embarrassing. XD

May 10, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #8 of 10
Unless your mum is a computer guru who's going to try and use file recovery software on your MacBook to see what you've been up to after you've erased it, there's no need to zero the hard drive.

May 10, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #9 of 10
Booth on the OS X DVD, open 'Disk Utility' and perform an erase (1, 7 or 35-pass).
When that's done, close 'Disk Utility' and proceed with a fresh installation as normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back