Reformat Drive from HFS+ to NTFS
Jul 11, 2008 at 5:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

xenithon

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all. Just a quick question for anyone who can help: I have an external drive which is currently HFS+ formatted. I need to reformat it to NTFS (which is unfortunately not an option under OSX's drive utilities). There are a million and one articles online about converting the other way, but I have not found much in terms of converting from HFS to NTFS.

Thanks,
X

PS. Data is already backed up so can be wiped.

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 11
Do you only have access to a Mac? The easiest thing to do would hook up the drive to a windows machine and format that way.

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 11
can't just put hfs drivers on the windows box?
smily_headphones1.gif

And apparently, you can't do an ntfs format from mac, only fat32.

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 11
Have access to Windows, yes. But from what I have read, it won't be recognized due to the different MBR format of HFS+

In case it makes a difference, it is a Seagate FreeAgent Pro connected via FW.

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #6 of 11
On your PC, Right Click on "My Computer" and choose "Manage". Go to the "Disk Management" tab. You should see your External drive listed as "Disk 1" or "Disk 2" or something. It should have a partition. I'm not certain what the label will be, but "Unknown" is a high probability. Right-click on the partition and choose "Delete Volume". After it's deleted, Right-Click in the now-empty space and choose "New Partition". You probably want a Primary partition, but Logical should be fine. I think you'll be given the option to format the partition right then and there, otherwise after the partition is created it'll appear as a drive letter and you can format by right-clicking on it from "My Computer".

Jul 11, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all. Just a quick question for anyone who can help: I have an external drive which is currently HFS+ formatted. I need to reformat it to NTFS (which is unfortunately not an option under OSX's drive utilities). There are a million and one articles online about converting the other way, but I have not found much in terms of converting from HFS to NTFS.

Thanks,
X

PS. Data is already backed up so can be wiped.

I've done this using:

ntfs-g: NTFS-3G for OS X Revived
macfuse: macfuse - Google Code

Macfuse is required by ntfs-g, after installing the two packages, you'll need to reboot, after which you can go into the diskutil and you'll have the option to partition to ntfs.

Hope this helps.

P.S Don't have a mac anymore, but if you have any issues shoot me a PM and I'll do my best to help you.

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 11
I wasn't sure if ntfs-3g would let someone partition, just read and write to it.

As for the MBR, msdos instead of gpt for the type...Windows should have no troubles at all just formatting as Arainach outlined.

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't sure if ntfs-3g would let someone partition, just read and write to it.

As for the MBR, msdos instead of gpt for the type...Windows should have no troubles at all just formatting as Arainach outlined.

ntfs-3g by itself wont be enough, that's where macfuse comes in. I had to do this a few months ago on a mac, and went this route and worked fine, I'm using that drive in Linux and Windows without issues, nor complains. Though works for me is not much of an argument, but it might be worth a shot.

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 11
Could yes; just wanted to avoid the multi-step process, and IIRC a FAT partition has a max. 32GB size limit? That would be painful on the 500GB drive
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back