Reference headphones for bedroom music production
Oct 5, 2008 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Tripswitch

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys. I produce some music at home, and my girlfriend is getting tired of listening to the same beats over and over and over again... I was looking at getting some reference headphones for home use, but there are so many to choose from it seems. I'm looking at spending $150-$250, and looking for the most accurate sound possible so I can do some level of mixing and mastering of the audio.

Thanks for the help.

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 23
perhaps I could recommend the denon ah-d1001. They are closed, very detailed, and they have great bass response. All this can be had for $80 on Amazon.

Keep them in mind.

Oct 6, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatwunguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
perhaps I could recommend the denon ah-d1001. They are closed, very detailed, and they have great bass response. All this can be had for $80 on Amazon.

Keep them in mind.

Very good can for that price range. BUT they do lack a bit in the high details, AND are a bit Boomy on the bottom end. Not exactly reference, andnot so good for producing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gladstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone PRO 750

Plus 1 The Pro 750's are an excellent can. Very close to studio monitor speaker sounds that come out of them.

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #6 of 23
Far be it from me to quote from a media source as holy but a member of the Stereophile staff uses the Grado SR-80 as monitor phones for his home mixing and recording.

Am I biased? Of course! But that doesn't detract from the fact that these phones are great.

YMMV

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 23
Years ago the Sony MDR-V6 was regarded as one of the most neutral headphones on the planet, and it's closed. I can't imagine mixing with open phones.

Don't know if it's still true, but they're $80 and I still see them everywhere whenever there are pictures of some studio or another being thrown around.

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #8 of 23
i guess he is into Trance music as he mentioned Beats.

Grado SR80 will fatigue him easily..

Trance is already very bright and has lot of percussion samples.

What u need to look for is Detailed bass and balanced Highs.

Checkout: Sony MDR-CD900ST

its under $250 easily.

great for Music makers with Home setup

Oct 6, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 23
There are some industry standards with the AKG k240, Sony 7506/9.

The Proline 750's were designed for studio monitoring. I have the 2500's, so I can't offer much of a comment there other than ultrasones have a different feel than most headphones.

Oct 6, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #11 of 23
Being an audio engineer and having owned the Ultrasone 2500's, I can honestly say that I would never ever ever ever ever... ever... use them for mixing.

Probably the most un-natural sounding headphone I've heard to date. And that they're supposed to have monitor-like qualities..? I've spent time on most Genelec models as well as Mackie's and the (infamous) NS-10's, and these studio monitors and the Ultrasone's sound nothing alike.
As always, IMHO, my $0.02, yada yada.

Oct 6, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 23
Yeah, I agree with that. The 2500's are not like other headphones in the way that they present sound. It is very spherical, not like speakers which sit in front of you. Plus, the midrange can feel sucked out (depends on amplification) and the bass is more exaggerated than many headphones I would call neutral.

Someone with 750's should chime in.

Oct 8, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #14 of 23
If bedroom implies sleep then I'd recommend one of the Yuin PK series earbuds because you can fall asleep wearing them without feeling like you have eggs in your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back