Reference headphones for bedroom music production
Oct 9, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #16 of 23
Hi everyone. Thank you very much for your responses. I have a lot of work to do researching all of these headphones now.... I do like the sounds (no pun-intended) of the Sony V6s actually. I did do a little bit of looking around, and they seem to be really well respected. And of course, for $80, you can't go wrong. If I go for them, I make take the savings I will have and put it towards some monitors (as the ones I currently use could use an upgrade) Would I be crazy to go for the V6's?

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripswitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone. Thank you very much for your responses. I have a lot of work to do researching all of these headphones now.... I do like the sounds (no pun-intended) of the Sony V6s actually. I did do a little bit of looking around, and they seem to be really well respected. And of course, for $80, you can't go wrong. If I go for them, I make take the savings I will have and put it towards some monitors (as the ones I currently use could use an upgrade) Would I be crazy to go for the V6's?

The Sony V6 is an inexpensive monitor that sells closer to $65 shipped, $67 currently on eBay. If you're more inclined to save some cash, go for the V6. If it doesn't happen to work out, you can just resell it. However, I have to think the Roland RH200 for $110 shipped would be of higher quality and sound like it too, but you likely would want to amp it. So, that's just the higher option of monitor for your consideration. Considering the additional expense of an amp with the RH200, I don't see a problem with buying the V6 and hoping it works out for you.

Edit: I just re-read your original post. For the most accurate sound possible within your budget, you really should go for the RH200 (or the RH200S) and then take care choosing an amp for it.

Edit #2: You might even want to consider Roland's top of the line RH300, which is closer to $200.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #18 of 23
Just a note since you're new to head-fi. The V6 and the 7506 are the exact same headphone, except one has a gold plug and one a nickle one.

The difference is branding. One is in their pro line, and one is in their consumer line.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #19 of 23
The AKG 240 and 270 series are famous for their applications in the studio recording world.

However I will nonetheless second the recommendation for Roland headphones. I don't have experience with the high-end RH-300 (which fall within your price range and not mine) but I own the RH-200 and they have very neutral and accurate presentation without being dull or uninteresting. They were designed for mixing and monitoring and they definitely will serve you well for that purpose.

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #20 of 23
M-Audio Q40 are another set of cans you should check out. Fairly balanced and neutral with good bottom end extension. Slight treble roll off but still detailed and good for long studio sessions.

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #21 of 23
I vote for V6s. Not the best choice for enjoying your music though but for monitoring, they are very good. Wouldn't mix with them though. Beat matching, maybe.

As for the Ultrasone Proline 2500s, I use them for preliminary mixes, they give me very good results as I have to do only minor tweaking when I do the final mix via monitors.

Oct 9, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #22 of 23
I'd have to throw my vote in for the sony mdr-v6 as well.

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #23 of 23
All right, I think I am going to go for the V6's, as I just bought some nice monitors (M-Audio Bx5a Deluxe). I can't really afford an amp right now for use with the Rolands. The nice thing is, because the V6s are so inexpensive, I can always upgrade to some nicer and more expensive cans later on, guilt free. I will do 90% of my sequencing and mixing on the Bx5s, and the V6's will just be for use at night, and probably preliminary mixing, which will be touched up using the monitors.

Thank you everyone for your responses and for being so welcoming to a new user. I will definitely be sticking around. Thank you Chu for the tip as well. I dont think I'll bother spending the extra money on the 7506s as I can probably live without the gold plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back