Reducing gain without soldering?
Mar 27, 2010 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

buz

500+ Head-Fier
I have recently received my HA NG98 and I quite like what I hear except for the fact that it is pretty loud (too loud for my taste) already when the pot starts to track properly. So it looks like I have two options: add a resistor plug (which seems to be frowned upon by many) or decrease gain.

The later I understand means messing with the resistors on the opamp pins. Now obviously this usually would mean changing the PCB which is a clear no go for me.

So I am wondering whether there could be another option, sort of an adapter (daughterboard if you want) for the DIP8 opamp sockets that would lower gain and then simply have the opamp on top of itself?

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 10
Something like this?

GainReducer.jpg

http://www.headphoneamp.co.kr/ftp/si...ainReducer.jpg

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 10
That is exactly what I had in mind - so apparently it could work. Now where could I get those (even without resistors
smily_headphones1.gif
?

Mar 27, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 10
Somehow, a 130USD device to fix a small bug in a 150USD one does not seem to be the best investment to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #7 of 10
Sorry, didn't realize the low cost of the device you were working with.

On as side note.....I was in the Zurich airport a few months ago and was stunned when they charged me for ketchup at a fast food restaurant.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #8 of 10
After Moscow and some of the Scandinavian cities, Zurich is probably one of the most expensive places to be.

However, I fly a lot for work and I always try to avoid eating at airports - the food invariably atrocious
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 10
So I got a pack of DIP sockets I could use for a mod like the link above, but what resistors should I connect to what pins?

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #10 of 10
*bump* anyone? Or should I try in the DIY forum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back