Reducing ER-4 microphonics - alt. cable?
Mar 7, 2010 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

bcpk

1000+ Head-Fier
I've (hopefully) nabbed a pair of ER-4Ps in the PLAY.com / Amazon UK sale, and I'm terribly excited. I've wanted these IEMs for nearly 5 years now, since way back when I was researching my purchase of the ER-6s and the 4s were retailing at around $250.

Back then, the ER-4s were regarded as the heroic IEM champion... but times have changed. Numerous other IEMs now contend with the ER-4 for their great transparency, like the e-Q7 and CK10.

I had the pleasure of trying out the CK10s recently. It feels strange to say this, but their cable was stunning. Not the sound of the cable - I wouldn't pretend to know anything about that - but the feel of it. Incredibly soft and with just the right amount of flex and weight.

On the other hand, I know from my experience with the tacky and wiry cable of the ER-6 that the ER-4s' strong point is not going to be low microphonics. So I'm interested to know if there are any reasonably priced replacement cables out there for the ER-4s that perform better in this regard. Cable noise is really one of the most common complaints against the ER-4 that I have come across, so I would have thought some intrepid cable maker out there would have sought to capitalize on this market.

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #2 of 14
The APS cable certainly cuts down on microphonics, gets a much better profile in ear and gets rid of the resistor pod but whether you would call it reasonably priced I don't know. It also changes the sound (I say improve it, but that is for each individual to decide). Best advice with the stock is to wear them over ear style but you need to tighten the cable under your chin as the design of the cable exit from the phone means that it is not very keen to stay behind the ear. Also either use the shirt clip or route the cable under your tshirt.

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #4 of 14
I think Etymotic changed the ER4 cabling from its initial design due to complaints of its excessive microphony. Certainly the recent ER4Ps I bought are fine in that regard - I don't generally experience any annoyances when out.

Might be worth seeing how you get on with them before getting the upgrade itch!

Anyway, hope you enjoy them - I'd be interested to know your thoughts once they arrive...

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can make them a bit more friendly to over-the-ear use with a set of right-angle adapters like these.

Ha, sweet. That looks pretty handy, should definitely help to eliminate cable noise and I prefer over-ear now as the cable doesn't get in the way as much. It looks like that's changing the plug type to that used by the TF10 etc, would that be right?

nc8000, the APS cable is just the kind of cable I was trying to exclude with the "reasonably priced"
biggrin.gif
it would cost nearly double the price of the earphones!

Thanks for the information about the cable, Bennyboy. I knew the new ER-4s use a braided cable but wasn't entirely sure what the purpose of that was.

EDIT : The Westone ES cable is only $32, and all reports of it are quite favourable, particularly with respect to its comfort. Can't find anyone here who's done the setup as shown in that eBay listing though.

R0013411-01.jpg

Thanks for the tip. Looks ideal ... fairly cheap (about €60 all in I'd guess) and definitely more practical. My only concern is where those blocky right angles will be jabbing me if, as I am wont to do, I insert the IEMs rather deeply.

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #6 of 14
I don't believe too many if any have done that here outside of awwan of course (seeing that awwan is the seller..so kinda obvious)

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 14
I own the APS version of the er-4p and while i very much like the sound signature the micro-phonics on it are the worst i have ever heard..far worse than the newer braided cable on the standard er-4p...not even close!

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nc8000, the APS cable is just the kind of cable I was trying to exclude with the "reasonably priced"
biggrin.gif
it would cost nearly double the price of the earphones!

Thanks for the information about the cable, Bennyboy. I knew the new ER-4s use a braided cable but wasn't entirely sure what the purpose of that was.

EDIT : The Westone ES cable is only $32, and all reports of it are quite favourable, particularly with respect to its comfort. Can't find anyone here who's done the setup as shown in that eBay listing though.

Yes the ER4 line has to my knowledge had at least 3 different cable deisgns over the 8 years I have been using them. The Westone ES cable is one of the best (if not THE best) stock iem cable I have encountered comfort and microphonics wise, I had it for a Tripple.fi and liked it a lot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlbrach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the APS version of the er-4p and while i very much like the sound signature the micro-phonics on it are the worst i have ever heard..far worse than the newer braided cable on the standard er-4p...not even close!

My experience was just the opposite

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 14
The Westone ES cable to me was very bright, so it might not couple the best with Etymotic ER4.

Mar 7, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for your thoughts Antony. I guess the Westone cable isn't terribly expensive, and I know that it's popular so I will buy it and see how it sounds, the possibly sell it on. Would you be able to recommend standard-plug cable that would match well with the ER-4P sound signature?

Mar 8, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #12 of 14
Nope, only the Apuresound cable... but well, the stock ER4 cable is very bright too, so maybe the Westone one isn't going to be more than that, or not even as much.
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your thoughts Antony. I guess the Westone cable isn't terribly expensive, and I know that it's popular so I will buy it and see how it sounds, the possibly sell it on. Would you be able to recommend standard-plug cable that would match well with the ER-4P sound signature?

Just remember that you can only use the ES cable if you also get those ra adaptors

Mar 8, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, only the Apuresound cable... but well, the stock ER4 cable is very bright too, so maybe the Westone one isn't going to be more than that, or not even as much.
biggrin.gif

As nc8000 said, the right-angle adaptors change it to the standard plug (UE etc), can you recommend any of them?
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back