redoing setup need advise
Jan 2, 2007 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

coolshot

500+ Head-Fier
i just got done selling all my old gear and picked up a k1000 and using a intergrated amp.

my old setup was great march>hybrid head>ad2000/a900ltd

current setup is sony dvd>pioneer>A-35R>k1000 with stock speaker cable

for the things that matter to me like warm lush mids and great bass with impact, both are about the same. They both go deep but not really punchy. I know im severly bottlenecked on my current k1000 but at this point im not really interested in building an entire setup for one rig and not being able to use it on other headphones. Im considering selling the k1000 for a singlepower extreme and taking advantage of the discount to add a pre-amp function. While its being built prolly pick up a darth beyer. In the future ill prolly add a dac and some nice bookshelf speakers. Do you think it will be a better setup of a SP&Darth over pioneer&k1000? Its a hassle to switch things out but if the payoff is good well imma do it.

Jan 2, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 4
The $1k that your k1000 goes for can get you both a Darthbeyer AND also a pair of dt990/600Ω 2005 Manufaktur - perfect complements to each other. Darths for their incredible impactful depth.......contrasted by the more all-rounder orientation of the dt990/600Ω with its' smooth, glistening treble. Whether a person's preference is a Corda Opera, or the nifty Singlepower you mention - certainly, both are terrific............at least, these are the 'phones that make me happiest
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 4
well i was thinking of a one can to rule them all scenario. By reviews and such it looks like a darth beyer (only heard stock dt770), L3000(which i cant afford) or a modded bass heavy akg 340 would fit the bill. A W5000 would be the wild card as it gets mixed reviews mainly based on fit. However i do know in the end i want a tube amp.

Jan 3, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 4
If you're looking for a single all-rounder phone with warm, lush mids and bass, a modded W5000 fits the description perfectly. It won't be dependant on a precise fit to get good sound out of it like a stock W5000 is, and is much more affordable than an L3000.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back