Rediscovering Rush - Hemispheres.
Mar 10, 2003 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

neil

500+ Head-Fier
Since I've been having a chance to listen to a ton of different amps/cables up here @ the office lately, I've been pulling out the old CDs that I know well but haven't listened to in a while. Rush - Hemispheres is one of them I'm listening to now. Just fantastic drumming, fantastic bass lines.. darn..

Listening on my HD600s, Prehead with these Tara Labs (inflexible and irritatingly so) cables -- I've just never heard this album sound so good.

Anyone else enjoy this album? Man, they have a remastered one (just saw on it on Amazon). Bah.. where's my stash of Amazon gift certs?

Mar 10, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 10
You are a man of excellent taste. Hemispheres is Rush's peak, IMHO (not necessarily their best album, but...if one were to B-spline or least-squares-fit all their albums together, Hemispheres would be at the crest, and everything after that would be downhill). Permanent Waves was the beginning of their shorter songs and abandonment of the epics. I saw them on both tours, and I must say that "The Trees"->"Cygnus X-I Book One" (compleat) -> "Hemispheres" (compleat) -> "Closer to the Heart" was a highlight for me from the earlier show.

"La Villa Strangiato" remains a favourite, containing some of Alex Lifeson's finest moments.

Mar 11, 2003 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 10
I saw them last summer (my brother was doing technical effects for them on the last tour). They did "La Villa Strangiato" and it kicked butt!!

I think Hemispheres is far and away their best album...

Mar 11, 2003 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 10
Geddy Lee's voice is so high on that track - you can't even hear it!

biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 10
Hemispheres is a great, great album. But I disagree that it was all downhill after that. They did change in style and sound over the years, but unlike a lot of Rush fans, I didn't want them to keep a signature sound throughout their careers. Show me something new! Sometimes it was... disappointing, but there were plenty of highlights for me later on too. (For example, I think Hold Your Fire is one of my top three picks for studio albums... though someone who only liked their "Hemispheres sound" would probably think I'm nuts.)

Mar 11, 2003 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 10
1) Hemispheres

2) Farewell to Kings

3) 2112

4) Moving Pictures

That's my $.02....
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2003 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri
Hemispheres is a great, great album. But I disagree that it was all downhill after that.

Well, like I said, it was sort of a b-spline/least-squares-fit thing. I mean, c'mon! Moving Pictures is in there (after the so-called "drop"). I'm not saying it was a steep slope. It was a very slow and gradual slope.

(I'm also a little bitter because I couldn't get tickets to the Moving Pictures tour.)

And yes, I know people who believe Grace Under Pressure and Signals are two of their best albums.

Mar 11, 2003 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 10
WOW!!!! I'm so glad also that you have mentioned "Hemispheres". This is my favorite Rush album; was the first Rush album that I ever bought; and the album that got me into the Band. I still think it's their best. The Musicianship on Hemispheres is absolutely flawless!!

May 7, 2003 at 3:57 AM Post #10 of 10
As you can probally tel from username, I'm a major Rush fan! Got to disagree with the gone down hill after Hemispheres tour comment myself. I think they just have evolved their stlye of playing. But I do agree Hemispheres is a great album, and my first tour as well. This tour was great, I saw them 15 times, 12 from 1st row, and finally met them and got a picture with them. I just cant wait for the next tour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back