Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2
Aug 29, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #31 of 54
That makes me want to get K1000.
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
robm321. I believe you are correct.
That the battery power is part of what make the Signature 30.2 (and Signature 30) sound great. Batteries make a clean stable power supply, with a lot less components involved.

I have an upgraded Signature 30 (partial 30.2 upgrade), too bad the SMART battery module wasn't an option in the partial upgrade
frown.gif

I hope my batteries will last for some time (I must not forgot to turn the RWA amp off, the SMART module does it automatically).

Sep 7, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #33 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great thread krmathis. I hope others will use it as an example of a productive way to share thoughts and impressions about gear.

Yes, it's a great review! I am very interested in the review because I own some of the reviewed gear and I like the combo very much too.

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

That said, the 30.2 may not be for everyone.
Its not a power beast, and you need to put some though into what you hook it up to. Speaker sensitivity being the most important part. After all its a limitation what you are able to drive with "just" 30 watt.

This one is certainly a keeper!
biggrin.gif

I am looking for a pair of speakers for the Signature 30.2.
Suggestions are welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

I am really a noob when it comes down to speakers - and I know this is mainly a headphone forum, but I might as well try here.
I believe the best thing to do is to start looking for speakers with an integrated amp, but aren't those very expensive?
frown.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #35 of 54
I've got a RWA Signature 30.2 as well.

Powerbook 12" -> Isabellina -> Signature 30.2

Considering that I had swapped the ECD-1 for an Isabellina just like krmathis, you might think that I'm stalking him.

I've got my 30.2 paired with Zu Druids MkIV/08 and the Zu Mini-Method. A wonderful pair of speakers. You can find them for around 2K used on audiogon.

You might also look at Omega Loudspeakers with which many a 30.2 owner has paired these with:

Omega Speaker Systems - Welcome

Oct 29, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #36 of 54
^ Yeah, the Signature 30.2 is a great amplifier for speakers as well. Not just AKG K1000's...
tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

^ Yeah, the Signature 30.2 is a great amplifier for speakers as well. Not just AKG K1000's...
tongue.gif

Indeed it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #38 of 54
All,

I can't believe I missed this thread (I must have been out taking a long leak or something
icon10.gif
).

Thanks to krmathis for his great review! Thanks to everyone else who posted their impressions and all the kind words! The 30.2 + K1000s is a seriously good "portable" rig. The 30.2 is best known for its use as a home audio amplifier and we use the high current SLA battery power for going "off-the-grid:" Red Wine Audio Why SLA Battery Power? (but yes, it does make the 30.2 portable in that you can take it anywhere an listen without having to plug it in, but it won't fit your pocket!):

Quote:

Yes, my actual preference would be the Isabella with the head-amp option but NO DAC. But it doesn't appear he offers that.

Hi Skylab,

Yes, we do offer the Isabella with headphone output (but without the optional Isabellina dac). This is the fourth option on the bottom of this page:
Red Wine Audio Isabella

To those who may not have seen it, Skylab wrote a really nice review of the Isabella with built-in Isabellina dac here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f113/r...ne-amp-368375/

The Isabella + 30.2 power amp is sublime and makes the K1000s sing like no other, but them better for the cost!!!
wink.gif

Thanks again!

Vinnie

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #39 of 54
Vinnie,
I have you excused!
smile.gif

Isabellina -> Signature 30.2 -> K1000 certainly make a really nice headphone system imo. Spent very little time with my Stax'en since I got this one up and running. That say quite a bit!

Kai

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #41 of 54

Quote:
tongue.gif

Later on, I would like to upgrade to the Signature 70.2 (a pair of mono blocks). Owners of a Signature 30(.2) can get one of those with reduction at Red Wine Audio.
Check this out http://redwineaudio.com/news-reviews/trade-up

“This program gives Signature 30 / 30.2 owners 100% trade-credit — based on the original retail price — to move up to Signature 70.2 Monoblocks, even for customers who paid less than retail (by purchasing pre-owned units),” adds Vinnie.
Compared to Signature 30.2s, Signature 70.2 Monoblocks deliver:
  1. A larger & more open soundstage
  2. Improved rendering of images
  3. Greater macro & micro dynamics
  4. Improved bass response
  5. 2x the maximum output current drive
Depending on when the unit was originally purchased, Signature 30 / 30.2 customers can make the upgrade for as little as $2,200, plus shipping.

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #42 of 54
Anyone knows if it would be possible to use 2x RWA Sig 30.2's as monoblocks?
I know they are built for 2 channels.

* Signature 30.2: 30 Watts RMS per channel into 8-ohms at 0.04% THD+N
* Signature 70.2:35 Watts RMS per channel into 8-ohms at 0.04% THD+N
70 Watts RMS per channel into 4-ohms at 0.04% THD+N
Pumps out twice the maximum current compared to our Signature 30.2 LFP-V Edition

Complete isolation between channels. Separate battery packs. Separate vacuum-tube stages.

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #43 of 54
From audiocircle: "If they can be bridged to mono operation, it should work.  However, bridging stereo amps to mono operation will greatly increase the load that the amps see.  Depending on the impedence of the speakers you are driving, you could overload the amps.

Since you have two channel, tube-based and reportedly sweet sounding amps, consider using both of them as they were designed to be used - as two channel amps.  Use them in a true, vertically bi-amped configuration with each stereo amp driving one speaker, with one side of the amp driving the HF drivers and the other side driving the LF driver(s).  Of course, this requires that you have dual binding posts on the speaker and that the X-over design will allow this. 

I'm not an expert but have been doing this very successfully for years."

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #45 of 54
Right now I would like to get my Akg K1000 back and after that I would like to look for a preamp that would but enhance my speaker and headphone rig.

Some info about preamps from audiocircle (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=77978.0)
"Adding either a Plinius M8 (my current preamp) or a Parasound JC 2, definitely made an improvement in my system.
  I agree that most people should not even think about using a passive with the vast majority of speaker/amp combos out there, i.e. "normal" (read not high sensitivity) speakers especially. 

Great active preamps do come at a price, however, the Plinus going for $4000+ and the JC2 around $4000.  And then there are people who would call even these preamps junk and swear by their esoteric $20K+ tube esoterica
icon_smile.gif

Passive preamp "thing" is possible and can yield fantastic sound in the right setup, of course.  For example, a good electrostat headphone amp setup often sound much better without an active preamp in the chain, even in the richness and dynamics department.."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back