Red Rose Headphone Amp
Aug 22, 2001 at 9:34 PM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
smacks himself on head; chides himself aloud for acting like gluegun
wink.gif

LOL! But seriously, never go by what other people say. Or if you do, make sure to add that it's another person's opinion, and not your own. I used to do that a lot (I probably still do from time to time), and it's a bad thing to do. Besides, you might listen to the RA-1 and hate it, so you have to be careful.

btw, Tyll was not very impressed with the RA-1's design if that helps any.

Aug 22, 2001 at 9:47 PM Post #33 of 54
Yeah, you're right, neruda. Showing my age, I guess?
wink.gif

However, I was basing it mostly on the fact that many people here a "synergy" between the RA-1 and RS-1, and it sounds, well, awesome.

That awesome feeling.....I was wondering if this amp will have it, that's all.

Aug 23, 2001 at 1:44 AM Post #34 of 54
don't worry about it coolvij, you're still way better than most people!
smily_headphones1.gif

DanG, you may be right, but I don't think so. After meeting Tyll in person you'll understand how absolutely honest he is. He was praising several other amps that weren't his (like the Wheatfield HA-2), so I think he simply didn't like the RA-1.

Aug 23, 2001 at 3:49 AM Post #36 of 54
I did meet Tyll, and though I don't agree with his taste in music
tongue.gif
, I know what a great guy he is and how honest he is as well. There's nobody I'd rather have as the owner of a business that I deal with.

It's just that if I make something, I'm naturally more inclined to support it, whether consciously or unconsciously. It has nothing to do with honesty at all -- it's just impossible to separate oneself totally from something with which you're intimately connected. I am not in any way questioning Tyll's honesty or integrity!

Aug 23, 2001 at 3:55 AM Post #37 of 54
I'd like to add that AFAIK Headroom is the exclusive distributor of
Wheatfield amps.

Not that I want to question Tyll's integrity (I haven't met him but from his posts I'd say he's a great guy) but your example wasn't chosen very well, Neruda
wink.gif

Bye

Redwoood

Sep 7, 2001 at 3:23 PM Post #38 of 54
Getting back to the earlier parts of this thread, forum members might or might not be aware of all the hoo-ha in recent weeks on Audio Asylum and Harmonic Discord about the suspicious external similarity between the announced Red Rose Music amps and the Chinese Korsun company's 'u' range (the 'u' is my attempt at the Greek letter 'mu')
Have a look at http://www.korsun.com.cn. If - like me, unfortunately - you don't read Mandarin, it might help to know that you need to click the second menu bar from the left on the homepage and then, on the next page, on the amplifier image on the far right of the second row. This is the u5 headphone amp, for which the listed price is RMB1250, which works out today at UK£104/US$151.
And, by the way, Korsun also have an integrated amplifier and a 2-box mm/mc phono stage which look 'very similar' to the other new Red Rose Rosette models.
I've no idea whether the RRMs are simple (but extortionate) rebadgings, as has - unsurprisingly - been suggested, or whether they just share the external casework. No unequivocal answer has been forthcoming from Mark Levinson (the man), so we're left wondering.
(The Korsun integrateds are also on offer from two different sources on www.audiogon.com)
Indeed, we seem to live in interesting times!

Sep 7, 2001 at 11:00 PM Post #39 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Redwoood
Not that I want to question Tyll's integrity (I haven't met him but from his posts I'd say he's a great guy) but your example wasn't chosen very well, Neruda
wink.gif

Bye
Redwoood [/B]

I think that Neruda meant that he was impressed by Tyll's honesty in promoting a product that he sells, but did not create.
wink.gif

Why is it that the Wheatfield amps are not mentioned nearly as regularly in the message boards (or in as high regard) as the MG Head, XCans, Earmax, or MicroZOTL?

Sep 8, 2001 at 12:27 AM Post #40 of 54
Well, while we're wondering about the Wheatfields, why not wonder a bit about the Zeus as well...nobody has bothered to try it yet which I find VERY strange, since this is an amp that can plainly murder all of the above, and stands toe to toe against the RKV Mark II/III, EAR HP4, Melos SHA-1, and perhaps even the Cary 300SEI or the Holmes Powell DCT-1/2...all amps that cost beyond $1000.

Sep 8, 2001 at 12:29 AM Post #41 of 54
Korsun is a company based in Shanghai.

As for the headphone amp, it uses 4 Philips NE5534 Opamps, 2 for each channel.

If you are looking for killer amps at low price, go to China (or Chinese websites)! Only drawback is that you must be able to read Mandarin.
frown.gif
As time goes by, those hi-ends will gradually enter overseas market. ASL made the first step.

If you know ASL is like a 4th or 5th ranked hi-end company in China... Wait for goodies, folks!

Sep 8, 2001 at 12:33 AM Post #42 of 54
My theory on why the Wheatfield HA-1 (since that's the only amp I know well) isn't mentioned as much as the Earmax Pro, the ZOTL, the X-Cans V2, and the MG Head DT is that the HA-1 provides quite a clean sound for a tubed headphone amp. The MG Head DT, MicroZOTL, and Earmax Pro are all very warm and "tubey" amps -- they have the signature laid-back, enveloping sound that so many people like. The X-Cans V2 and MG Head DT are also in a different class price-wise than the Wheatfield HA-1, as the HA-1 is $539 (or more) shipped from Headroom, and the former two amps are under $300. It's true that I'm selling my HA-1 and may very well be biased (consciously or not), but this really seems to me to be the best explanation.

Another reason neither of the Wheatfield amps is so well known is that while Pete Millett, the maker of the amps (and, it seems, basically the whole company), is a very reserved man and not one to market his amps aggressively. Also, since Wheatfield is such a small company, it gets much less exposure than companies like Musical Fidelity and Antique Sound Labs.

Sep 8, 2001 at 2:36 AM Post #43 of 54
Does anyone own the Wheatfield HA-2?
It is supposed to have that classic tube sound and should be in the same class as the earmax and MicroZ.

Sep 8, 2001 at 3:17 AM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

If you know ASL is like a 4th or 5th ranked hi-end company in China... Wait for goodies, folks!

Do you have any links or pics of stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back