Rectifier tube squeal
Oct 3, 2018 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Johnthurston

New Head-Fier
I built a Bijou amp a few years ago, and find it performs well for me and provides a satisfying sound. It sits on my desk, and provides me my sonic distractions during my workday.

Today, I noticed a high-pitched squeal. It wasn't in the audio output. It was in the room. After hunting around, I was able to locate it at the EZ81 rectifier tube on the power supply. I touched the tip of the tube and the sound stopped. But started again a few minutes later. I powered down, plucked the tube, and examined it visually. I could find nothing by eye indicating any mechanical defects inside the tube. I reinstalled the tube, and have had no more occurrences.

The sound I was hearing was very high frequency. A bit like the flyback squeal from an 'old' CRT. What was the frequency? I don't know, but it was up there. I had the Bijou on the bench a couple of months ago to replace a failing input connector. At that time, I measured the power supply output and confirmed it was still at its specified voltage.

If this squeal returns, where should I be looking? Is this an indication my rectifier is on its way out?

Oct 8, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back