Recs: desktop amp for ~$200 for use with Denon d2000
Dec 1, 2009 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

wilcaz

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for a desktop headphone amp for around 200 USD that would enhance the sound of my Denon AH-D2000 headphones. Extensive browsing on the forums hasn't turned up much so far but the best option I've found so far is the Little Dot Mk3. This however does not have a DAC. I have a sound card that I think can serve as a DAC but I am not sure and am not technically well-versed. Any suggestions?

Dec 2, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 12
EF2
Little Dot I+
Used Millet Hybrid, there's one on fs forum now for 150$.

the millet hybrid will probably be best price/performance.

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilcaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the best option I've found so far is the Little Dot Mk3. This however does not have a DAC. I have a sound card that I think can serve as a DAC but I am not sure and am not technically well-versed. Any suggestions?

so do you need a dac as well?

Jan 8, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #9 of 12
I came across this topic and thought it fit what I was looking into so decided to reply here instead of starting a new topic.

I've never used an amp before so everything I understand about amps are based on opinions and reviews from retailer websites and past topics on this forum.

I'm willing to spend $200. I might be willing to wait out and spend $300 if it made much of a difference... but I feel silly paying more for the amp than the headphones themselves.

Are any amps in these price ranges that make electronica/dance sound better? I had listened to music through the headphone outlet on my lcs-1060 speakers ($20) so I figure anything must be an improvement I'll be satisfied with...hehe.

From what I see in this topic and other topics I searched it seems like Little Dot amps are some of the best for this price range?

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up a MisterX built Dynalo for $200 used. It rocks with my D5000's. I gotta believe it would be great with the D2000's. Dynalos come up used once in a while here. They are the original DIY that the Gilmore Lite grew from.

I was just thinking that I would not have a chance to recommend my GLite (+ DPS) for the D2000, based on price-point, but there you go. If you can get a GLite or something comparable Dynalo-wise, go for it. It certainly beat out the WA6, synergy-wise, and that's saying something, for both my D2000's and HF-2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back