recs around $1k fullsize closed (trans)portable headphones
Sep 28, 2019 at 6:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Anouk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Everyone, I hope I am posting this in the right forum. I have been away from headphones for a long time but now looking to upgrade. I will be using an iphone 11 with tidal masters as source and as dac/amp I will have the dragonfly cobalt. These choices are already made just need to get a headphone to match. Preferrably fullsize cloded and wired so without active noise cancelling.
Number one on my shortlist for now is the bowers and wilkins p9 although I am a bit concerned about its elevated bass.
I was also thinking about mrspeakers but that wont work with my amp/dac setup.
Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated because I am afraid I might be missing valid options and I hope to be done for quite a few years after this purchase.
My music tastes are quite varied. I listen a lot to classical but really a lot of other stuff as well. I am not a total basshead though.
Thanks in advance for any recs.
Greetings, Anouk,

Oct 1, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #4 of 7
I was also thinking about mrspeakers but that wont work with my amp/dac setup.
Im curious as to why you say that AFC wont work with your Dragonfly? Granted I havent tried the combo before,so perhaps you know something that I do not.

The AFC has great tonality,is below budget and supremely comfortable. I didnt like its lack of slam and texture,but if you prefer a neutral sound,you could do much worse.

If price were no object,the Focal Stellia is epic,but big $$$. The Verite closed is even better,but again big money,and not sure the cobalt will do it justice.

Oct 1, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 7
Yes I too don’t understand the Dragonfly not being able to be used with the AFC as I have a DFRed and it will run my Ether-C (non flow) just fine and louder than I normally listen to and pretty sure the AFC are a bit more sensitive.

Oct 3, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 7
Focal Elegia.

Oct 6, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi, I read a big part of the afc thread and there people said, out of eperience i think but it has been a while, that the dragonfly and the afc dont really shine together and that you should either use the ifi or the mojo. I think even the creator recommended them with the mojo in a portable setup.
Greetings, Anouk,
Im curious as to why you say that AFC wont work with your Dragonfly? Granted I havent tried the combo before,so perhaps you know something that I do not.

The AFC has great tonality,is below budget and supremely comfortable. I didnt like its lack of slam and texture,but if you prefer a neutral sound,you could do much worse.

If price were no object,the Focal Stellia is epic,but big $$$. The Verite closed is even better,but again big money,and not sure the cobalt will do it justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back