Recording live music with a DAP
Jul 28, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #16 of 21
there is also ipod linux. with ipod linux you can record straight pcm at up to 24 bit I think.

sorry, 16 bit at 96khz. here is the link.

but it seems it is limited to 3rd gen ipod. i understand your pain as i also have been on the lookout for a sleek nice rounded player that records too. if you are used to a dedicated recorder like the sharp or sony recorders md or himd, you may find yourself a bit at a loss for functions with these dap but that is i'm sure not too bad.

i have a touch and it is pwned. i expect that soon apps whether sanctioned by apple or not will appear that will make use of its recording capabilities. it is sleek, has up to 32gb of internal storage and im sure the recorders will allow it to record in native formats such as alac, aiff, wav, mp3 or aac. that is a heap of options and great quality selection.

Jul 28, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #17 of 21
Several people get great pulls with an h120/h140 as a nice bit bucket. Especially if you get the H320/H340 remote. I used mine for record shows by many of the local Dallas metal bands. 16/44.1 in wav format. It even does auto clipping adjustments if you want. Also if it hasn't sold yet, there is a 32gb cf modded H120 on the sale forum right now. the user is calling it an H132.

Last time I talked to Church, over a year ago, he was working on some stealth pre-amps that were going in a nokia phone shells
smily_headphones1.gif
Don't know how far it got with it.

Jul 28, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackboot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestion. I would say that the PCM-D50 is most definitely a dedicated recording device. The reason that I don't want a dedicated recorder is because at the very least the price is significantly higher than a DAP due to the extra recording features which are nice to be sure, but I don't need/want them. The PCM-D50 is about double the price of the Cowon D2 for example.

You are right, the price is a little higher than a strict DAP but then you'll stop all the upgrading itch
biggrin.gif
You said "I don't need/want them", yea right, that is what I said when I first came into this forum, but after six pairs of hp, five amps and DAC later, I am still looking to buy stuff that I'll never need
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #19 of 21
Thanks for all the helpful replies guys
wink.gif

I think I may have found my DAP though - and I'm very surprised about the 'winner'!

The Insignia Pilot meets all my criteria:

1. Good SQ
2. Records up to 48Khz PCM via mic input
3. 8GB onboard flash
4. SD card slot

All this for under $80 shipped to Canada!

I'm aware there are some quirks with this units firmware, but it is definitely usable as is. Also, a firmware update may be on the horizon. Anyway, I can't find another DAP that has my 4 minimum requirements. But in addition to my minimum requirements, it has dual headphone jacks, video out, bluetooth, and UMS connectivity - all of which I will greatly enjoy.

Can anyone suggest a Insignia Pilot killer for my application? Otherwise, I'm about to drop $80 and be done with it!

@ Jalo: well I'm a grad student so even if I have the itch to upgrade, my wallet won't allow me
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hope you enjoy it: by all means please keep this thread open when it arrives to tell us of the quirks of this player.

I did end up buying the Insignia Pilot off of eBay this morning. Apparently the 8GB model has been discontinued in the past week or so. There were loads for sale by a seller in California who may have been clearing out best buy's remaining stock or something, but now there are only 2 new units left (each at $69.75 buy-it-now). $77 shipped to Canada is a bargain for sure!

I'm guessing that Insignia will be releasing a follow-up to this player in the near future.

Thanks to all for the comments and help
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back