recording live concerts on iPod
Oct 3, 2007 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

dimm0k

100+ Head-Fier
I have a friend who's really looking forward to an upcoming concert and would like to be able to record the concert using the iPod. Anyone have any suggestions?

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 19
Now is a good time to convince your friend to get a pocket digital recorder. More battery life than the iPod, minimal footprint, and likely better quality.

Not many people carries one, but it has become essential in my life, especially for recording lectures for personal use, people talking, and all sorts.

But I highly doubt you would get any decent recording out of portable equipment, especially at concerts.

Oct 3, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 19
minidisc recorders can be had cheaply as many stores are trying to get rid of old stock. they have no hiss from recording, great mic support, battery life and file quality.

i used sharp recorders for years and never had a poor recording. i have used many daps now with line ins and used battery boxes and they all sound rubbish compared to the minidisk recording.

naturally, a battery box is a great idea if you want the full spectrum of the music. i have sound professionals ear mounted mics, they look like earphones. you can put a headband above it to block out wind and it looks like you are using headphones, easy to get into any concert without trouble. cheers

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:45 AM Post #8 of 19
As far as I know all DAPs with recording ability are for simple voice only. I tried to record a Jean-Paul Bourelly concert with my A2 but had to give up. Without any proper micro and some adjustment capability everything will sound terrible.

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
minidisc recorders can be had cheaply as many stores are trying to get rid of old stock. they have no hiss from recording, great mic support, battery life and file quality....

Only the older MD ones. The new HiMDs seems to be as expensive as ever.

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I highly doubt you would get any decent recording out of portable equipment, especially at concerts.

I've pulled off some remarkable recordings, using gear that fit entirely in a hip bag. Between reporters and film location sound, a lot of money is in portable sound recording, and so the available technology is quite good. Just that the ipod isn't the right choice.

Oct 3, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only the older MD ones. The new HiMDs seems to be as expensive as ever.

sorry, i should have mentioned not the newer ones. though, newer ones needs an appendice. no new machines have been made since 2006 and every year they just become old stock. you can find incredible deals on many older gears in stores that carry them.

naturally DAT is a great way to go as well, just not as friendly for editing as md nor as easy and fast to change tapes etc. cheers.

Oct 3, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #14 of 19
There are lots of great flash based recorders these days as well. One thread on headfi isn't enough to cover it. If you're interested in field recording, taperssection.com really does have a lot of good information.

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:09 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.morton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know all DAPs with recording ability are for simple voice only. I tried to record a Jean-Paul Bourelly concert with my A2 but had to give up. Without any proper micro and some adjustment capability everything will sound terrible.

Not true. My H120 is a great recorder, particularly with Rockbox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back