Recording Impulse Responses for Speaker Virtualization
Sep 10, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #1,651 of 1,817
guys i would like to find a connector like this https://www.amazon.it/Hosa-Stereo-Breakout-3-5-Dual/dp/B000068O5H/ref=sr_1_12?__mk_it_IT=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=10LBDLJH3S3ZG&keywords=3,5mm+mono+to+mono&qid=1694193425&sprefix=3,5mm+mono+to+mono,aps,125&sr=8-12 but with two Male mono 3,5mm instead or at least two adapters mono male to mono male

i need a shorter cable with 3,5mm stereo male to two 3,5mm mono male (not longer than 0,5-0,6m) but it's like impossible two find this kind of stuff on internet, do you know some well furnished audio store that could have this kind of stuff?

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #1,652 of 1,817
Monoprice?

Sep 16, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #1,653 of 1,817
Can anyone help me interpret this?
| Speaker | Side | PNR | ITD | Length | RT30 |

|-----------|--------|----------|----------|----------|----------|

| FL | left | -86.7 dB | 0.0 us | 268.5 ms | 90.8 ms |

| FL | right | -77.1 dB | 270.8 us | 215.9 ms | 147.6 ms |

| FR | left | -74.3 dB | 416.7 us | 254.8 ms | 199.3 ms |

| FR | right | -86.9 dB | 0.0 us | 259.3 ms | 129.2 ms |

If the table looks like this
the left ear of the left channel and the right ear of the right channel have small deviations.
but the opposite ear of each channel has some deviation.

And if imagine the opposite(Other People)
The deviation between the left ear of the left channel and the right ear of the right channel is large.
and the opposite ear of each channel has a small deviation.

How should we interpret these two cases?
Same room, same microphone, just diffrent person(ear)
I don't understand the deviation of the opposite ear to say that human ears are so different.
Is it because they're more sensitive to reflections or more desensitized to certain bands? Is there such a thing?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #1,654 of 1,817
Can anyone help me interpret this?
| Speaker | Side | PNR | ITD | Length | RT30 |

|-----------|--------|----------|----------|----------|----------|

| FL | left | -86.7 dB | 0.0 us | 268.5 ms | 90.8 ms |

| FL | right | -77.1 dB | 270.8 us | 215.9 ms | 147.6 ms |

| FR | left | -74.3 dB | 416.7 us | 254.8 ms | 199.3 ms |

| FR | right | -86.9 dB | 0.0 us | 259.3 ms | 129.2 ms |

If the table looks like this
the left ear of the left channel and the right ear of the right channel have small deviations.
but the opposite ear of each channel has some deviation.

And if imagine the opposite(Other People)
The deviation between the left ear of the left channel and the right ear of the right channel is large.
and the opposite ear of each channel has a small deviation.

How should we interpret these two cases?
Same room, same microphone, just diffrent person(ear)
I don't understand the deviation of the opposite ear to say that human ears are so different.
Is it because they're more sensitive to reflections or more desensitized to certain bands? Is there such a thing?

i could say it's misplaced mics in the ear canal that could affect this, i'm not sure

i'm curious how did you find that values?

Oct 1, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #1,657 of 1,817
Guys, have someone tried planar headphones with impulcifer?
Headphone type doesn't generally matter. Planars will work just as well as dynamic headphones.

Oct 1, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #1,658 of 1,817
Speakers can be virtualized (simulated) with headphones very convincingly with impulse responses and convolution software. This however requires the impulse responses to be measured for the individual listener and headphones. I'm trying to achieve this.

I made impulse response recordings by playing sine sweep on left and right speaker separately and measuring it with two ear canal blocking microphones. I turned these sweep recordings into impulse responses with Voxengo deconvolver software. I also measured my headphones the same way and compensated their frequency response with an EQ by inverting the frequency response as heard by the same microphones. Impulse responses are quite good and certainly better than any other out of the box impulse response I have ever heard. However they are suffering a little by coarseness, sound signature is a bit bright and sound localization is a tad fuzzy.

When listening on headphones a music recording which was recorded with the mics in ears while playing the music on speakers the result is practically indistinguishable from actually listening to speakers. My impulse responses and convolution come close but still leaves me wanting for better. I think the main problem might be the noise introduced by my motherboard mic input.

I thought about using digital voice recorder like Zoom H1n for the job. This model can do overdub recordings with zero delay between the playback and recording making it possible even to record each speaker separately. I'm also assuming that the mic input on this thing is quite a bit better than my PCs motherboard.

Does is seem like sensible idea to use voice recorder and are there better options? Can you think of other sources of error than the noise from the mic input? Should I do some digital noise filtering on the sine sweep recording before running the deconvolution? Any other ideas for improving the impulse responses?
What is the simplest step-by-step process to download Impulcifier with Mac OS? I have SoundSource and MacOs Ventura? My set-up: 24 inch IMac>Topping D90SE>Stax SR 323S>Stax SR 009. I had Darin Fong's OOYH but this seems to be an orphan technology. I am technologically unsophisticated, but I have been hearing very good things about Impulcifier. Can you help, please? Thank you.

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #1,659 of 1,817
What is the simplest step-by-step process to download Impulcifier with Mac OS? I have SoundSource and MacOs Ventura? My set-up: 24 inch IMac>Topping D90SE>Stax SR 323S>Stax SR 009. I had Darin Fong's OOYH but this seems to be an orphan technology. I am technologically unsophisticated, but I have been hearing very good things about Impulcifier. Can you help, please? Thank you.
One remark: Impulcifer itself does not do a speaker simulation, it is only used to create impulse responses from the measurements (sweep responses) that you have to do. And then you use those impulse responses with other software, for example HeSuVi, to do the actual speaker simulation. (That means that you don't necessarily need to do those 2 things on the same computer with the same operating system by the way.) I see that Impulcifer can be used on a MAC (and Windows, and Linux). The real question for you probably is what software for the MAC can do the actual speaker simulation. I could not see just now if HeSuVi can run on a MAC, if it can not you will need other software for that. Maybe someone else can tell you more about that, I know nothing about MACs.

Oct 3, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #1,661 of 1,817
One remark: Impulcifer itself does not do a speaker simulation, it is only used to create impulse responses from the measurements (sweep responses) that you have to do. And then you use those impulse responses with other software, for example HeSuVi, to do the actual speaker simulation. (That means that you don't necessarily need to do those 2 things on the same computer with the same operating system by the way.) I see that Impulcifer can be used on a MAC (and Windows, and Linux). The real question for you probably is what software for the MAC can do the actual speaker simulation. I could not see just now if HeSuVi can run on a MAC, if it can not you will need other software for that. Maybe someone else can tell you more about that, I know nothing about MACs.
I don't have any speakers. My set-up: IMac > Topping D90SE > Stax SRM 323S > Stax SR 009.

Oct 3, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #1,662 of 1,817
I don't have any speakers. My set-up: IMac > Topping D90SE > Stax SRM 323S > Stax SR 009.
You can not do much with Impulcifer if you don't have speakers to measure (and of course you will need in-ear-microphones).
Because the speakers are only needed for the measurements, of course you could also borrow speakers (or perform the measurements anywhere where there are good speakers, like a friends home or whatever, preferable good speakers in a room with good acoustics).

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #1,663 of 1,817
Is there anyone who has time who can check if my file is working normally?
7.1 file. Equalizer APO + Hesuvi + VBcable (Just a heads up, the regular 2ch hrir works very well.)
As far as I know, measurements and files are fine.
But when I test this, it actually works very weird on Netflix (non-chrome Netflix app 5.1 or the video I have).

The left and right sides of the front operate in normal positions.
And the sides and the rear are heard as each is changed. The rear is on the side, the side is on the rear (I can respond to this part somehow because I can change the name order when I make the filter.)
But there's something else that's most ridiculous.
I can hear the sound of the center behind my head. So I can hear lines from Netflix or movies behind my head(Almost Rear line). lol.

My Device is topping dac, and I also tried to do it directly to the computer body at 3.5mm. But this was not a dac problem.
So, I did few test for fix this problem.

1. Install or Uninstall Topping Driver.
- 7.1 does not play at all when the Topping driver is installed. Even if you connect directly to your computer without using a topping dac.
And once you delete the driver, it says 7.1. It's weird, like the one I wrote at the top

2. sfc /scannow on Windows CMD shell
- Doesn't work.

3. I tried EFX, GFX, and MFX among APO's options.
- EFX only work for me. But VBcable need to GFX. So headphone-EFX / VBcable-GFX
And even if i unify this to GFX the same way anyway, that problem has not been solved.

4. Reinstall Equalizer APO (Version 1.2.1 , 1.3.0)
- Not solved.

5. Reinstall Hesuvi , VBcable
- Not solved.

6. Try other programs for Virtual 7.1 (VBhifi+AsioBridge / AudioReapeater)
- Not solved. Same issue.

7. Try deleting problematic programs in turn (e.g., minidsp's dsp program that is not currently in use).
- Not solved................

Now there's nothing I can do about reinstalling Windows OS into a completely different build. I think I've done almost everything. I've reinstalled it nearly 100 times in a few weeks.

If 7.1 doesn't work at all, it makes sense, why would the center be placed behind? It's really weird............
Does anyone have experience like this or can help? (Window10 OS 22h2 19045.3516build)

Also, I don't know if this is related, but this error occurred when I tried audio repeater-KS.

1.png

Could this be what my twisted audio system means?

Attachments

• my_hrir.zip
    8.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #1,664 of 1,817
I can't test anything, I'm far from home for a while, but just as one possibility to consider, not everybody can perceive a center channel correctly. I remember Dr Choueiri bringing that up.
If we were perfectly straight and symmetrical in front of a center channel speaker, there would be no ITD information(time delay) to locate direction, only the idea that no delay means on the axis perpendicular to our ears. Then FR can impact elevation, and smaller cues (that we suck at interpreting) to indicate distance. But some people won't ever perceive distance in the case of a center channel. They usually get the sound inside their head (what happens to me, it's inside my head, sometimes on my forehead, sometimes on top of my head right on my skull or maybe barely below it, all depending on FR). So maybe you are in a somewhat similar situation, but your brain interprets the sound behind instead of in your head? IDK if that's even a thing, so take that idea for what it is, me not knowing anything and having ideas.

Another idea out of nowhere. Do you actually measure a center channel, or did you only record front left and right speakers and some app is remixing the center channel from a movie into those front left and right channels? In my case, I hardly can tell between stereo speakers playing mono, and an actual center channel (unless it's at a different elevation). But again, I'm not a reference of great subjective interpretation on center channel.
Maybe you could try recording a center channel while turning your head just a little, so the impulses contain a small but noticeable time difference that might help your brain figure out the correct positioning. You might want to try out of curiosity.

Of course those are weird ideas outside of trying to diagnose the actual problem, in the impulses, or something else.

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #1,665 of 1,817
I can't test anything, I'm far from home for a while, but just as one possibility to consider, not everybody can perceive a center channel correctly. I remember Dr Choueiri bringing that up.
If we were perfectly straight and symmetrical in front of a center channel speaker, there would be no ITD information(time delay) to locate direction, only the idea that no delay means on the axis perpendicular to our ears. Then FR can impact elevation, and smaller cues (that we suck at interpreting) to indicate distance. But some people won't ever perceive distance in the case of a center channel. They usually get the sound inside their head (what happens to me, it's inside my head, sometimes on my forehead, sometimes on top of my head right on my skull or maybe barely below it, all depending on FR). So maybe you are in a somewhat similar situation, but your brain interprets the sound behind instead of in your head? IDK if that's even a thing, so take that idea for what it is, me not knowing anything and having ideas.

Another idea out of nowhere. Do you actually measure a center channel, or did you only record front left and right speakers and some app is remixing the center channel from a movie into those front left and right channels? In my case, I hardly can tell between stereo speakers playing mono, and an actual center channel (unless it's at a different elevation). But again, I'm not a reference of great subjective interpretation on center channel.
Maybe you could try recording a center channel while turning your head just a little, so the impulses contain a small but noticeable time difference that might help your brain figure out the correct positioning. You might want to try out of curiosity.

Of course those are weird ideas outside of trying to diagnose the actual problem, in the impulses, or something else.
I measured in his room with the help of a good man. So we can't measure it again.
And the brir in the room played 7.1. It's only on my computer.
[Voiceover] It doesn't feel kind of vague about the sense of distance, it's heard behind the scenes.
The center isn't in the front at all.
It's not a matter of message. I gave my files to some people and when I tested them, I heard it was working fine and now it's a problem on my computer.
The real problem is that even though I've done everything I can, everything I can check, I can't find anything about this center channel that doesn't come up on Google, making a sound in the rear's position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back