Recording Impulse Responses for Speaker Virtualization
Apr 13, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #1,201 of 1,817
I haven't used any daw with anaglyph for an individual sofa file, because I need to create my personal hrtf first.
Thought, sparta should work, because he used it for the sofa file in his video, perhaps he can give us further information.

A daw is needed for a binauralizer plugin to load and apply the personal sofa file, which is the format for hrtfs containing a huge amount of measuring points.
Hesuvi/ eq-apo on the other hand is needed to load your hrir (+hpeq separately), an impulse resonse generated in a specified room with a defined arrangement of speakers.

I guess, many binauralisers allow you to choose an hpeq, because it's essential for the right timbre and authentic sound, so you can go without eq-apo for sofa convolution.

The benefit of an hrtf/ sofa file is it's flexibility allowing you to simulate different locations by adding reverb and changing the speaker arrangement.
Sparta doesn't want to give me sound when applied in EQ-Apo i guess I'll have to look for a good DAW that works with this plugin

Apr 13, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #1,202 of 1,817
There are some "binauraliser" daw plugins for that purpose like the "sparta" shown in his video ,
have You already checked the free "anaglyph"?
Speaker arrangement simulation is one thing, but room simulation the other, we have to find a suitable program for adding reverb.

Anaglyph needs a special conversion for the sofa files. They provide a matlab script but that does not work probably with the mesh2hrtf sofa files.
The Sparta plugin shown in the video also crashes very often when I tested it. Also the sound was very distorted with the mesh2hrtf sofa file.

Apr 13, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #1,203 of 1,817
not yet, i should buy the mic... does that help much?

OK GUYS, now it's weird, remember that i had that headroom problem while measuring the headphone? NOW i know why i was having that damn strange noise in the sinusoid! IT'S WHEN I DON'T TOUCH THE SHELL!

When i touch the behringer shell with my hand the sinusoid is PERFECT even with 1db headroom, if i stay away from it, does that weird disturbance; i tried multiple times

VUA7e0k.png

I'm happy that this means that the mics are not broken, but also i'm wondering if this is related to some stuff happening inside the audio interface
What mics are you using? Primo EM258 ?

Apr 13, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #1,204 of 1,817
I mention the room measurements because I don't have an ideal room either. I did those measurements, then used the room options in the command line, and the sound I get in Impulcifer is like being in an ideal recording studio, or in the venue where the recordings were done. Obviously each of our rooms and speaker setups are different, and the room options can't make up for everything, but you may be able to get it much better.

If touching the Behringer is having that much effect it could well be a grounding issue as another poster has reported.
yeah, fact is that with that microphone i have to do another 14 measurements each session (with mono speaker) and honestly i don't know where i should start, how to pace the webcam, where to place the mic related to the ear canal... a lot of stuff i need to think on

the speaker placement does a lot in my measurements tho, placing near a corner of my room or near a wall does have very different results

@Xam198 yeah, i'm using the primo, i'm still wondering if i made the right choice glueing the mics to the earplugs, maybe i should try some stuff @musicreo did so i can place the mics even deeper

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #1,206 of 1,817
yeah, fact is that with that microphone i have to do another 14 measurements each session (with mono speaker) and honestly i don't know where i should start, how to pace the webcam, where to place the mic related to the ear canal... a lot of stuff i need to think on

the speaker placement does a lot in my measurements tho, placing near a corner of my room or near a wall does have very different results

@Xam198 yeah, i'm using the primo, i'm still wondering if i made the right choice glueing the mics to the earplugs, maybe i should try some stuff @musicreo did so i can place the mics even deeper
Yeah, that's a LOT. I just did stereo measurements and command options until I got something really good, and ran out of steam to tackle even 5.1. I think I totally got lucky on my UMIK-1 ear location measurements. I didn't use a webcam, just a tripod to hold the mic and got as close as I could to the L/R ear placements. As far as in ear mics I also glued foam ear plugs to the backs of the mics, which made positioning them securely and consistently so much easier. Didn't try deeper in the ear canal so can't comment on how much difference that would make, but from my experience I don't think it's necessary.

Apr 13, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #1,207 of 1,817
Yeah, that's a LOT. I just did stereo measurements and command options until I got something really good, and ran out of steam to tackle even 5.1. I think I totally got lucky on my UMIK-1 ear location measurements. I didn't use a webcam, just a tripod to hold the mic and got as close as I could to the L/R ear placements. As far as in ear mics I also glued foam ear plugs to the backs of the mics, which made positioning them securely and consistently so much easier. Didn't try deeper in the ear canal so can't comment on how much difference that would make, but from my experience I don't think it's necessary.
You convinced me.

Do i need to plug the umik to the behringer or i can just plug inside the computer via usb? when i do the measurements, where exactly should i put the mic? close to the ear i'm measuring or on the head? i still don't understand

EDIT: I read that i can also do one single measurement, good if i want to just try fast what it does!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #1,208 of 1,817
You convinced me.

Do i need to plug the umik to the behringer or i can just plug inside the computer via usb? when i do the measurements, where exactly should i put the mic? close to the ear i'm measuring or on the head? i still don't understand

EDIT: I read that i can also do one single measurement, good if i want to just try fast what he does!
The UMIK-1 is a USB mic so I'm pretty sure I plugged it directly into my laptop. Been over 2 years ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy. I'd always used it with the REW program plugged into the laptop so don't think it needs an interface. I don't know about using the Behringer.

As far as positioning for the UMIK room measurement I used a tripod and placed it where my ears were located when I did the speaker measurements with the in ear mics. I wasn't sitting near the UMIK for those measurements. Not sure if that's clear. One set of measurements was with the in ear mics sitting listening to the speakers. The second set was with the UMIK positioned at the L and then R position of where my ears were when I did the in ear speaker measurement. At least that's my best recollection and it corresponds to the Wiki documentation. Happy for someone to correct me if I mixed that up.

Apr 13, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #1,209 of 1,817
The UMIK-1 is a USB mic so I'm pretty sure I plugged it directly into my laptop. Been over 2 years ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy. I'd always used it with the REW program plugged into the laptop so don't think it needs an interface. I don't know about using the Behringer.

As far as positioning for the UMIK room measurement I used a tripod and placed it where my ears were located when I did the speaker measurements with the in ear mics. I wasn't sitting near the UMIK for those measurements. Not sure if that's clear. One set of measurements was with the in ear mics sitting listening to the speakers. The second set was with the UMIK positioned at the L and then R position of where my ears were when I did the in ear speaker measurement. At least that's my best recollection and it corresponds to the Wiki documentation. Happy for someone to correct me if I mixed that up.

Thanks again! So considering this image, i should point the mic upside down with the tip pointing to the ground, right?
68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f6477685934426e2e706e67

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #1,210 of 1,817
Thanks again! So considering this image, i should point the mic upside down with the tip pointing to the ground, right?
68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f6477685934426e2e706e67
I had the UMIK pointing straight up at the ceiling with the tip at ear height and as close as I could estimate to where my ears had been located during the in ear speaker measurement. Using a webcam might allow more accuracy, but I just sat in the same spot as before, positioned the mic on the tripod at each ear and stepped away for the measurements.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #1,212 of 1,817
I tried custom silicon earplugs and musicreo's open ear canal mounting.
For me, the second one certainly improves overall tonality and measurement stability. And it provides the possibility to measure in-ear monitors. Theoretically, blocked ear canal measurements will bring more systematic errors that can't be eliminated without eardrum measurement. However, whether that error can be perceived depends on the headphones you use.

I made a pair of them following his idea but with different types of silicone. This is what it looks like. Though I don't have the equipment to measure its variance, it does seem quite stable during multiple measurements.
wukWR3P.jpg

Here is the information about FEC criterion. Basically, when you measure the BRIRs with ear canal blocked, you're assuming that your headphones are perfectly Free-air Equivalent Coupling, so it has the same acoustic impedance as free-air. Notice that this is different from HRTF or HPTF curve and can only be compensated by prob microphones measuring at eardrums. The deviation from ideal is called Pressure Division Ratio (PDR). Since the measurement of it is complicated, I cannot find much data about it. But from this 90s paper, it's not neglectable if not significant for some headphones.
1642728398096.png

Møller, Henrik, et al. "Transfer characteristics of headphones measured on human ears." Journal of the Audio Engineering Society 43.4 (1995): 203-217.
Errors for some headphones

Apr 13, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #1,213 of 1,817
I tried custom silicon earplugs and musicreo's open ear canal mounting.
For me, the second one certainly improves overall tonality and measurement stability. And it provides the possibility to measure in-ear monitors. Theoretically, blocked ear canal measurements will bring more systematic errors that can't be eliminated without eardrum measurement. However, whether that error can be perceived depends on the headphones you use.

Errors for some headphones
With the second option how were you able to keep the mics in without them falling out and also have them facing outward?

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #1,214 of 1,817
Guys how can i move the left raw and right raw closer? i'm trying multiple times moving changing the mics gain and volume and trying to equalize but i don't know why they don't align in the graph on the right... also no matter how much gain i set, the red line in the two graphs on the left are still almost on top of the Target line
headphones.png

In this one i got very lucky and i don't even know how i have got the two raw so close together
headphones - Copia.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back