Recording Impulse Responses for Speaker Virtualization
Aug 11, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #556 of 1,817
If you use the VXLR+ adapter you have to activate the phantom voltage. The adapter will change the 48V to approx. 5V. The Primo em258 work well at 4-10V. Without the voltage the Primo capsules will record nothing. None of the buttons you mentioned should be pressed for the measuring.

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #557 of 1,817
thanks everyone for all your help. I figured out the problem incase anyone comes across this issue again. the error i was getting was sound only coming out from Rear Right. I was using my TV as the speaker for measurements and had set it so only the left channel was outputting sound. I changed that so both speaker were now out putting and now im getting full surround.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #558 of 1,817
I’ve read through the whole thread and realise you guys know this stuff so well. I feel like a child and apologise because I’m learning and my questions are very basic.

Does height matter when measuring (same height as the speaker)

When measuring should Mic be facing in or out of ear

Do both mic have to be in the exact same position in both ears (keep slipping around)

Movies sound tinny with little base

Can’t hear as much detail as Atmos (hear 50-60% of sound information)

Better to bake in headphone EQ or use it in hesuvi

Will external noise effect the hrir a lot (outside traffic)

Do I need to learn python or is there an easier method to make changes if not what command options I should concentrate on first.

Is there a method similar to this where a sphere of measurement is recorded

Aug 12, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #559 of 1,817
Your results have no bass because your TV speakers have no bass. Impulcifer captures the sound of the speakers in the room. This can be mitigated a bit with room measurement but I doubt anything will save you from the fact that you are using TV as your measurement speaker.

Mics in ears should be facing outwards.You can glue an earplug to the back of the mics, that helps keep them in place. Might want to put some tape on the back of the mic first so that you can remove the plugs if needed.

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #561 of 1,817
Does height matter when measuring (same height as the speaker)

It is depending on the type of speaker. But many speaker should be positioned at ear height.
When measuring should Mic be facing in or out of ear
These are omnidirectional microphones so the placement have some degree of freedom. I think that is only important to not block the front side of the capsules with your ear.
Do both mic have to be in the exact same position in both ears (keep slipping around)
They should be positioned similar but exact positioning is not necessary. Positioning is one of the most important aspects in the measurement. The mics should not move during your measurements!
Movies sound tinny with little base
Your plots show that your speaker have a roll off at 100Hz. You can add bass with the EQ or try room correction. But a TV speaker is not really suited for this measurements.
Can’t hear as much detail as Atmos (hear 50-60% of sound information)
This is depending on the quality of your measurement.
Do I need to learn python or is there an easier method to make changes if not what command options I should concentrate on first.
What changes do you have in mind?
Is there a method similar to this where a sphere of measurement is recorded

Windows limits the input to 7.1 so there is no benefit to measure more than 7.1.

Aug 12, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #562 of 1,817
Thank you so much for your help. The more I learn from you guys the better it’s getting. I’ve used silicone for the mics and elastic band around my face to hold the wires in place.
That made a huge difference and timing the recordings when there isn’t traffic flowing outside.
I’ve channel balanced and used different speaker. And now the hrir is loud.
another problem I’m coming across now. Is when there’s dialogue in the movie there’s a noisy hiss goes away when they stop talking

Attachments

• 187284BD-8947-45EF-AC49-0DA6B17BCD55.jpeg
    187284BD-8947-45EF-AC49-0DA6B17BCD55.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • EB057E06-2D52-45C4-9822-B52546BBE998.jpeg
    EB057E06-2D52-45C4-9822-B52546BBE998.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 7CD140F8-233F-47DA-B547-1A8EC7A5F9CB.jpeg
    7CD140F8-233F-47DA-B547-1A8EC7A5F9CB.jpeg
    563 KB · Views: 0
Aug 12, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #564 of 1,817
I want to bake in my oratory Sennheiser hd560s EQ but can’t work out the line of code and when I need to put it into cmd
There's no option because you don't need to do that. oratory1990's eq profiles make headphones match Harman target which is an approximation of sound of good speakers in a good room using headphones. Impulcifer does exactly this but is not so much of an approximation anymore but rather a simulation tailored to you. Just do the normal headphone compensation with Impulcifer and you'll get the neutral sound. Of course if your speakers and room aren't neutral then you won't be get neutral output. In this case you need to do room correction and potentially get better speakers and maybe even some room treatment.

Aug 12, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #565 of 1,817
So I should take off the headphone graphic equaliser in hesuvi too?

I will get a speaker or two if I can manage. Any suggestions on speakers. I have a couple but the behringer isn’t able to power them enough to get a suitable volume.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #566 of 1,817
I have a couple but the behringer isn’t able to power them enough to get a suitable volume.
Don't you have a normal speaker amplifier? I think on the used equipment market you should be able to get a stereo amplifier for 10 Britisch Pounds or so.

Aug 12, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #567 of 1,817
I managed to get a speaker to work which was very good considering how old it was.
7A7B2430-8E83-4ED2-8EF4-664E716C6C77.jpeg

And it was loud.

The hrir is almost perfect for me. Atmos was really good but was too close to my head. This makes movies seem more immersive.

Just the volume is still low even after the balance. Need to somehow increase that but when I try with the measurement I already have it gives an error.

does putting the speaker further away and measuring enlarge the surround?

Also it’s got base but still lacking that extra punch you get when watching movies. Or Dolby atmos demos

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #568 of 1,817
does putting the speaker further away and measuring enlarge the surround?
I would expect so because in theory the virtual speakers should sound like they are at the same distance as the real speakers were during the measurement.

Aug 13, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #569 of 1,817
So I should take off the headphone graphic equaliser in hesuvi too?

I will get a speaker or two if I can manage. Any suggestions on speakers. I have a couple but the behringer isn’t able to power them enough to get a suitable volume.
Yes, don't use a separate headphone eq with Impulcifer. Unless you try to do something advanced you probably shouldn't be worrying about right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back