Recording Impulse Responses for Speaker Virtualization
Oct 7, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #61 of 1,816
Oh, and another update I did on Sunday: Decay plot and sweep spectrogram plot have been improved. Decay plot represents the levels more correctly and should be easier to read. Peak in the plot is scaled to 0 dB but the calculation actually can do correct absolute levels now so it would be possible to compare levels across tracks. Perhaps I should add that somehow. Spectrogram is on logarithmic frequency scale so low frequencies are not lost in the image anymore. Here is an example:

dI6nDtr.png

Oct 8, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #62 of 1,816
Primo EM172 looks even better specs wise and is less than £12
I've also looked at EM172, but its diameter (10mm vs 6mm for EM256) confused me. I will share a photo of my setup when I'll get home. Also I recommend to bye mics with presoldered wires. I actually burned one myself, while soldering it.

The sounddevice package wasn't listed in the requirements.txt because I forgot to add it there. It's there now and recorder.py should work. I also added a mention in installing instructions about 64-bit Python. Big thanks for reporting these.
Cool! I will try to use it next weekend. Thanks for quick response!

Oct 8, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #63 of 1,816
It's too bad there isn't some way to rent/borrow the hardware needed to make a recording. I know that the mics and audio interface aren't super expensive, but I still hesitate to buy something that I will likely only use once, for a few minutes, and then never use again. I suppose I could always resell them...Hm...Decisions, decisions!

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #64 of 1,816
It's too bad there isn't some way to rent/borrow the hardware needed to make a recording. I know that the mics and audio interface aren't super expensive, but I still hesitate to buy something that I will likely only use once, for a few minutes, and then never use again. I suppose I could always resell them...Hm...Decisions, decisions!
1. You probably won't get it right on the first try
2. Once you get it right, your earphones will sound better than any earphones you can buy, for ANY money...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 8, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #65 of 1,816
It's something one can get into with a bit of effort I would think. I think that's with any passion out there, you have to really be obsessed with it to to find victims to record and experiment with various equipment and try to get others to record their performances.

Like photography, it's for those types of people that are really interested recording what can be sensed as accurately as possible.

From what I've read around, there are expensive mics out there. Like better quality mic with better signal to noise if one wants to do accurate THD+N measurements of headphones.

With this said, I do admire quality recordings and I wonder if I can do the same with the right equipment. A recording I really admire is 'Jazz at the Pawnshop' and I've always wondered how the recording was done. Same for high quality cinematography. If anybody has seen reviewer Joshua Valour's videos, you'd recognize that he has a knack for shooting videos. He has to be into video equipment to be able shoot in such quality.

What can I do with a DSLR?

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #67 of 1,816
Wowza! When you put it that way, it's hard not buy the gear and give Impulcifer a shot. Maybe I'll make it a holiday treat to myself...
kinda like buying a meter for video calibration, beforehand your display looks great, but once you see correct grayscale, gamma, and low color errors it makes the meter purchase worthwhile.

Not to mention you can apply the autoeq function to other renderers, measure multiple headphones, multiple speakers, should be more than a one time use thing.

Oct 9, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #68 of 1,816
kinda like buying a meter for video calibration, beforehand your display looks great, but once you see correct grayscale, gamma, and low color errors it makes the meter purchase worthwhile.

Not to mention you can apply the autoeq function to other renderers, measure multiple headphones, multiple speakers, should be more than a one time use thing.

Ironically, I actually do own a colorimeter, namely the X-Rite i1Display Pro. And display calibration really does make a big difference, at least on some of my displays. I guess I might really have to jump onto this bandwagon!

Oct 9, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #69 of 1,816
Ironically, I actually do own a colorimeter, namely the X-Rite i1Display Pro. And display calibration really does make a big difference, at least on some of my displays. I guess I might really have to jump onto this bandwagon!
The measured impulse responses of speakers applied to binaural rendering is really fantastic. I probably use Out of Your Head for 99% of my headphone listening so very anxious to have some free time to sit down and try Impulcifer. Pre thanks to @jaakkopasanen for all the work hes done I'm really looking forward to it trying it.

Oct 9, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #70 of 1,816
The measured impulse responses of speakers applied to binaural rendering is really fantastic. I probably use Out of Your Head for 99% of my headphone listening so very anxious to have some free time to sit down and try Impulcifer. Pre thanks to @jaakkopasanen for all the work hes done I'm really looking forward to it trying it.

I've tried basically everything out there, short of a Smyth Realiser. I've tried Dolby Headphone, Dolby Atmos Headphone, DTS Headphone: X, Razer Surround, Out of Your Head, HeSuVi, Super X-Fi Amp, Spatial Sound Card, ...maybe some others I'm forgetting. For quite awhile, Out of Your Head was my go-to, with the Genelec preset. Once I found Spatial Sound Card, though, that's worked the best for me. It must be that whatever HRTF they're using happens to match pretty closely to my own. There's definitely a huge difference between the effects, and for me, the only two that really gave me a terrific "out of the head" experience were Out of Your Head and Spatial Sound Card (the "Dubai" location). If Impulcifer can take it up another notch, it will definitely knock my socks off.

Oct 9, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #71 of 1,816
For quite awhile, Out of Your Head was my go-to, with the Genelec preset. Once I found Spatial Sound Card, though, that's worked the best for me.
The measured solutions desperately need headphone correction over 2khz at the least. and with ooyh if you listen close on certain material its possible to fine tune the hrtf at least a little bit. The headphone correction of autoeq should make this much more accurate so looking forward to that as well. I could never get SSC to work for some reason.

Im also of the opinion that equipment makes a huge difference with this type of audio stream though youd have to pm me if youre interested in that as they wont hear it in this section of the site ;]

Oct 10, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #73 of 1,816
By the way, jaakkopasanen, do you think it is possible to implement algorithm on hardware DSP, like one of the SigmaStudio from AD? I would like to use it not only on my pc, but PlayStation too, so now looking for options of making the solution portable.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #74 of 1,816
By the way, jaakkopasanen, do you think it is possible to implement algorithm on hardware DSP, like one of the SigmaStudio from AD? I would like to use it not only on my pc, but PlayStation too, so now looking for options of making the solution portable.

There could be something although I'm not aware of any. Usually the problem is that dedicated DSPs don't have the computing power to run convolution on 14 different long FIR filters. Creative Super X-Fi has but it's not possible to import your own HRIR into that. Smyth Realizer A16 can do this and it might be able to import your own HRIR but then Realizer has the measurement stuff built in so there's no need. And it's $4000.

Only if there was a way to input audio from HDMI (ARC) to Raspberry Pi...

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #75 of 1,816
I intend to test at some point if there is any difference between recording with 48 kHz and recording with 96 kHz and sampling down. Perhaps @johnn29 you would like to test this? IIRC you have an audio interface which can do more than 48 kHz.

Yep I can test this next week. My theatre refurb is finally complete so I'll get a few recordings done.

I've also gotta test headphone compensation with the DT990 already EQ'd by oratory to get rid of that nasty treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back